“Lovely Venue”

River Cottage Kitchen
Ranked #42 of 222 Restaurants in Winchester
Price range: US$16 - US$35
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: "Our menu is all about gathering the finest ingredients, nurtured and respected all the way from the farms and producers that supply us, through our kitchen, to your plate. Feast well, and in good conscience.”
Reviewed 29 June 2018

This is a lovely venue. Situated in an old mill in Abbey Gardens with the river running under the building. I am less impressed with the food than my friends but any criticism is more than compensated for by the building and location.

RCHQ, Manager at River Cottage Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Came to the River Cottage Kitchen for a set menu and left disappointed.

We started with a hake dish which was delicious (I wanted mussels but they had run out) and a beetroot salad that tasted very strongly of peanut butter. We think it had halloumi grated on top but could not be sure. Would have been nice with a good few strips of halloumi on top.

We then both had rump steak for a main. They were both presented at the same time and we asked which was which. We were told that they were both rump steaks and were the same. We questioned how they were cooked and were then told who’s was who’s. We both cut in to the steaks and realised we had each other’s so swapped.

Our first thoughts were that the dishes were swamped in salad, the presentation was not great. My partners rump steak was 50% fat and she left most of it on the plate. The fatty steak also put her off the rest of her dish.

Drinks are not cheap. Two course for £11, bargain.... one bottle of beer for £5.... not such a bargain.

RCHQ, Manager at River Cottage Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, as i'm sure you can see from previous reviews this is not the usual standard of food or service we strive to deliver, should this have been brought to the attention of a manager this would have been addressed without delay on the day. I personally apologize for your poor experience, if you could email me personally I would like the opportunity to discuss this further and regain your faith in our restaurant.
winchesterkitchen@rivercottage.net - Sharnah Anderson General Manager

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I visited with family and a friend who was travelling from Australia around a month ago. Gorgeous fresh food, I would definitely recommend the fish. Lovely, warm atmosphere and excellent service with a personal, friendly feel.

Thank you for such positive feedback, it's greatly appreciated

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I went with my partner for dinner here a couple of weeks ago and we were both really impressed and can't wait to the next time we are in Winchester so that we can come back here to eat again. The hostess and waitress were both very friendly and I can't fault the service at all. It was prompt without making us feel hurried and friendly without being intrusive. The meal itself was also great. My partner had a River Cottage elderflower cider and I had a bottle of St Clements, both of which were delicious. To eat, we had some of the sourdough bread and some olives for a starter. This was delicious and a great sized portion for two hungry people! For mains, we both had the bubble and squeak with garlic greens and a poached hen's egg, with a side of some (very delicious) chips. We probably could have done without the chips, but everything was very tasty... So no regrets! We did have to draw the line somewhere, though, and so we skipped pudding. Next time..!

I'd definitely recommend this as the value for money was great and I can't recommend the food enough. I had been meaning to go for years since a friend recommended it to me, and I'm so glad we finally paid it a visit. A must-go.

Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I came with a friend for dinner and we had a lovely evening meal. The food was excellent and very tasty. Our waiter Will was very friendly, attentive and smiley and we were very impressed with the service he provided. There was a wide variety of dietary requirements that had been labelled clearly on the menu and I will definitely be returning!

Wonderful feedback , thank you