“As good as always”

Ranked #31 of 214 Restaurants in Winchester
Price range: US$21 - US$28
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Cote serves simple freshly prepared French food at value for money prices. There is a lunch and early evening weekday menu at £9.95 For two courses. On the menu, guests will always find brasserie favourites such as steak frites, tuna Nicoise and moules marinieres and, for dessert, Cote's creme caramel and classic creme brulee are much-loved house specialities. The extensive wine list displays an indepth knowledge and features wines from a variety of producers across France; yet is reasonably priced. Cote provides a genuine Gallic eating renaissance in elegant surroundings where you can dine with other people who are clearly enjoying the whole experience.
Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

Visited Cote for the second time on New Year's Day for a spot of lunch during a shopping trip to Winchester. Restaurant looked pretty busy but we were still able to get a nice table on the first floor. Had the Steak tartare for a starter which is a favourite of mine, and then had the duck breast main which was cooked to absolute perfection. Couldn't face a pudding given what I had consumed over the festive period so settled for a decent cup of coffee and the bill. Service was fast and dealt with a smile, and there were some decent wines on offer, the Sauv Blanc was particularly good. Would definitely return and can safely say my visit was the polar opposite of some reviews. Why leave a negative review because they were too busy and had no tables, strange people.

1  Thank Asherd85

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend came here for an anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed. Brilliant range of choices on the menu, nice atmosphere, staff were extremely attentive with nothing being too much trouble and the food was delicious. We are already looking forward to coming back here. Absolutely a 10/10!

Reviewed 3 January 2017

This was my first visit ever to Winchester, so I was excited as to what I was going to see and encounter. Being a chef I have had many top restaurants in Winchester recommended to me, Black Rat, Black Boy and Chesil Rectory to name a few. However at this moment I was craving Cote Brasseries Duck dish, which is to die for... usually.

We were a walk in, however we walked in at 12.10, only one other table in the restaurant. Asked if we would like Bread and Butter this took almost 25 mins, in which our main courses had arrived. Not good enough. The restaurant started to get busier and busier and I could see that the front of house team were starting to struggle. Some tables waiting over an hour for main courses.

I cant say whether it was a kitchen or front of house issue, but to me it seemed to be both. Just sloppy watering. Plates being thrown down by who looked like Assistant Manager, no one present running the team and no communication.

After our plates had been cleared bearing in mind we arrived at 12.10 it was now 13.45 we were offered desserts. These took another 35 mins. I explained to waiter, Im sorry but we have been here over 1.5 hours and have only had 1 main course.

Pretty awful to be honest. Not impressed, best thing was the bill was free.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

This is my 3rd visit to Côte Brasserie in Winchester and at each visit I have had the same experience...lovely food but slow service. On this particular occasion (a busy Friday lunchtime), we waited almost half an hour for someone to take our drinks order! It was another 40 minutes for our food to arrive; however it was very tasty. The staff, when you do get to interact with them, are not overly friendly either.

Special shout out though for the dessert menu...fabulous choice of desserts...difficult to know which to choose but both the chocolate mousse and the crepes are to die for!

Beware that gratuity is automatically added to your bill...very frustrating when the service is so lacking.

1  Thank catp79
Reviewed 2 January 2017

Overcrowded and understaffed, Very bland food. There were five of us and one of the guests had to wait ten minutes for her food to arrive. It was so loud that you could not have a proper conversation. Why do we put ourselves through such torture?

1  Thank cuartodetula