ABode Canterbury
  • Restaurant
Canterbury Hotel(Canterbury)
The Victoria Hotel(Canterbury)
2,164 results
All reviewschampagne barhigh streetenviable roomdesirable roomtuck boxcar parklovely hotelstandard roomcentral locationsat navfront of houseexcellent locationone night staycentre of towneggs benedictlovely rooma lovely stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed in a most desirable room for 2 nights for the occassion of a relatives wedding. Even with a discounted price, found it very expensive. The room was clean but not as large as I had expected. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were always willing to assist and I have no complaints about them. The car parking can be a problem, but I enquired a few days before arrival and had a space reserved for me in their small car park. The hotel is situated on the main high street and is handy for everything. Found that they added on a service charge onto my bill everytime I ordered drimks in their champagne bar. They should have advised me that they were going to do this beforehand so that it wasn't a complete surprise when the final bill is presented. Overall it is a very nice hotel but not quite worth the amount they charge. Air conditioning unit in room was very noisy at night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2012

As my husband was busy on Valentines Day he suprised me with a 1 night stay at The ABode Hotel in Canterbury. From the moment we arrived we were treated in a special way by all the staff. Our room was lovely & the bed was really comfortable. I loved all the toilitries as well! Because we stayed on a Sunday evening the restaurant was closed so we went to The Brewery Tavern for our evening meal & had the best ever burgers I have ever eaten! I would'nt normally order burgers but the waiter highly reccommended them & said we would not be disappointed & he was so true to his word! The waiter we had was very good at his job & was able to advise us on our choice of menu.
Breakfast the next morning was excellent with lots of freash fruit,homemade juices & smoothies & freshly baked croissants & pain chocolats! The men had a lovely cooked breakfast while my friend & I had the Eggs Benedict .....alovely muffin topped with ham off the bone, 2 poached eggs & topped off with a lovely hollandaise sauce.... srumptious!
The Hotel is situated on the High Street so it is convenient for all the sights,we visited Canterbury Cathedral & some of the lovely shops then went back to the Hotel for the 3 course grazing menu which we had when we visted last time & I can highly reccommend for a light lunch!
I really loved this Hotel & Restaurant & can't wait to return.....shame I can't keep this as my secret place to go instead of sharing it with Tripadvisor!!!
Michelle
Upminster

Room Tip: Standard Double was quite adequate for 1 night & was only on 1st floor & up 1 flight of stairs!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our rooms had the kind of noisy aircon units with which US travellers will be familiar if they have ever stayed in a Hampton Inn or similar. It banged, crashed and rattled all night - the room was warm, since the windows (onto a wall and other windows) could not be opened. The bed was a small double with a mattress which was like a marshmallow. It was impossible to sleep on.

The sink in the bathroom took a very long time to drain - yuck. The shower mat was rust-coloured on one side - again, yuck. The bathroom door could not be opened all the way since the loo was behind it. The towel rail had a very sharp edge at shoulder height & I cut myself on it whilst squeezing into the bathroom.

The tissue box on the little table unit had had one single tissue stuffed into the top, and below it were a couple of empty loo rolls to fill up the space. Not good enough.

At breakfast, there was loud pop music blaring out. What quality establishment does that? None. Awful. We were not the only ones who found it disturbing.

On the positive side, the location is wonderful provided you don't have a car with you, the rooms are neutrally decorated if very small, the cocktail bar has an excellent range of drinks and the (mostly student) staff do their utmost to please.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank harvey28
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I booked this hotel as a quick getaway during half term with my wife. The hotel is a nice boutique style hotel with a restaurant, champagne bar and down the road a pub/tavern.
I decided on this hotel as its location was central to Canterbury with the hotel on the main high street and due to a deal that was for the month of February which was a standard double room, breakfast & 2 course evening meal at the pub/tavern for £99 per night per couple.
The check in was quick and the receptionist new the offer we were on and offered to book our table for the 2 course evening meal at the same time which was handy.
The room was a standard ensuite double but was a good size and modernly decorated with a contemporary style, it had everything you needed with an ensuite bath/shower room, tea coffee facilities, iron/ironing board etc. The good thing is that you can sign in and use the hotel's free wifi whether in your room or in the communal aspects of the hotel, much better than many places where you have to pay for it!
The toiletries were particularly good and probably one of the best with nice scented soap & shower gel plus body & hand lotion were also provided. The bed was very soft but equally comfortable.
The evening meal at the pub/tavern is just down the road and you have to leave the hotal and walk a minute or so down the road to get to it, the food was good wholesome pub grub with my wife having salmon & ginger fishcakes for starter on the first evening and a homemade burger for main, I had the same main but a pork terrine with apricot chutney for my starter, for the second evening we both had fish and chips with crushed mushy peas with myself having the soup of the day & my wife the raspberry cheesecake. The meals were tasty and as part of the deal represented excellent value.
The breakfast hall is located in the hotel restaurant and is a combination of good continental choices or cereals/fruit followed should you choose by a cooked breakfast. What I find refreshing is that it is cooked to order and not hour old food being kept warm in great ban marie's. I had homemade porridge with banana & maple syrup to start followed by absolutely delicious eggs benedict, but you could choose all manner of freshly cooked breakfast dishes.
The other thing other than the central location that is worth mentioning is the champagne bar which is fantastic room that had a really relaxed atmosphere and most importantly great cocktails with the whisky sour being my tipple of choice, whilst not cheap with cocktails ranging from £5 to over £11 they were well made and with the table service a nice extravagence. The staff were polite, friendly & professional throughout our stay and we would certainly consider staying in another Abode hotel in the future.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I booked a night at Abode in Canterbury as a surprise for my partners birthday. It was also a surprise for myself as I had no idea how wonderful Abode was going to be!
Our room was a standard double with ample space and a very clean en suite. The room had everything you could need for one night's stay and also a complimentary basket of nibbles and drinks to help you make the most of your stay. The room was quiet and no outside noises disturbed us.
The hotel's restaurant was delicious with the evening meal being superb. The staff were very knowledgable and friendly. The breakfast the following morning was also a delight.
The hotel is located in the heart of Canterbury and Reception were happy for us to leave our bags while we explored the city. The customer service from all staff was excellent. We really couldn't fault this hotel at all.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple