“Clean and Comfortable Stay”

University Of Kent - Turing College
Ranked #42 of 73 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed in halls of residence at Keynes College. The building was new and the rooms were spotlessly clean; we also had access to a communal kitchen, again in good condition. The staff at reception were helpful. The breakfast was plentiful, not amazing quality but reasonable. One minor quibble is that the bedding was a tad scratchy, and the towels rather flimsy. The site was beautiful and leafy (20 minute walk from city centre), and our building was quiet, although some of the other buildings seemed to be more rowdy as large groups of students had just arrived. University accommodation can be a bit of a risk with respect to quietness and cleanliness, but Keynes did well on both counts.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room away from large groups if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Liz C, Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed a comfortable stay in Keynes College and hope that we can welcome you back in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My Easytobook.com paperwork showed no restrictions and no clues as to the opening hours of the reception at Tyler Court. I therefore assumed it would be manned 24/7. In reality it was open 0730-2000. I was delayed en route and after 5hrs driving arrived at 2145; it was raining and had just got dark, the direction signs on campus were in shadow and hard to read. That wouldn't have been a problem to those arriving by taxi or guided by a SatNav. I could only access Tyler Court reception area because groups of foreign teenagers running in and out had left what should have been a secured door open allowing free access into that block where they were sleeping. Reception's shutters were down. There were no notices instructing who to contact or how to obtain the key to my room. After a bit of searching I found a security guard in a nearby college. He was very helpful, took me back to Tyler Court reception and retrieved an envelope containing my key and room number from the locked office (there was another envelope waiting for the final guest to arrive). He also kindly took me to my accomodation 2 blocks away and showed me how to use the electronic key fob.
The room and bed were very comfortable but I was woken at 0600 every morning either by passing traffic on the hill immediately behind the trees outside my window or by the hot water heating coming on. That said, the hot water was always very hot and instantly available; the shower was excellent. The room was clean and was serviced while I was out on the Saturday (I stayed Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights). However, when I pulled back the duvet around midnight on Friday to get to bed I was very shocked and disgusted at the state of the green bottom sheet. There were dried semen stains on the edge of it. I thought it may just have been poorly washed but then I also discovered minute particles of used toilet paper where a previous occupant had clearly lain in the middle of the bed. I was quite revolted and shocked at this discovery but as I was very tired and there was nobody at reception and no information on how to contact any accomodation staff I had no option other than to brush the sheet clean with my hand and sleep on the stained sheet. I suspect that the sheet wasn't changed after the previous occupant or that the room had been used without the knowledge of staff. I wasn't expecting the room to be serviced after my first night or I would have left a note asking for the sheet to be changed. I hope I was just unlucky with the sheet but more info needs to be given for late arrivals (I see from a previous review I was not the only late arrival unable to get their key so that snag does need addressing).
Other than that, the room was perfect for my requirements but the Wifi signal was surprisingly weak (1/5 bars) when using my own Wifi Dongle rather than paying extra to hook up to the campus service provider. Without these problems I would have given higher ratings of my stay but I would stay again as the location met my needs.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank barrythom
Liz C, Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thank you for your review. Naturally we were very concerned to read your comments about the room servicing and are currently investigating this. However we are pleased to hear that the location met your needs and hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Stayed in halls of residence at Keynes College, Uni of Kent. These are newly built accomm and are of a high quality. We stayed the night before the Uni Open Day and it was an excellent stay. Very peaceful, glorious views, very clean and spacious double room with ensuite and our son was next door in a single. £70 for double & £45 for single and breakfast was reaaly good with good choices. We just can't fault it, well done Keynes College. We would definitely book again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for your review and we're delighted you were so pleased with every aspect of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

This is about our 9th visit to the University of Kent. Visitors come from the UK as well as a number of other countries and this year,the age range was from 6 months to 94 years but the majority are single young people (early 20s). The staff are exceptionally kind and helpful and so willing to make our stay a real pleasure. The food is delicious and plentiful (and healthy - fresh fruit and yoghurts available at all meals!) The facilities for our purpose are great - meeting rooms for about 250 people. The accommodation is very good, most have en-suite facilities. Obviously it cannot provide double rooms for all the married couple who attend but it is 'student accommodation' and the hospitality staff do their best to provide suitable bedroom arrangements for the few families that come. This event is very much the highlight for many people and our numbers have increased year on year so that 300 or more came this year. We cannot thank the staff enough for their superb service on our behalf. The location is beautiful and the facilities are excellent.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the blue bell wood or the Cathedral!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Beth58London
Liz C, UoK Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a positive review. It goes without saying that we're delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Arriving late in the evening at a weekend, the campus resembled a ghost town. It took a while to navigate round and find someone to ask where the rooms were and get a key. Of course, during the day mid week, completely different; the place is invaded by hordes of youngsters; foreign ones during the holidays. The accommodation is basic student, rabbit warren style, but is perfectly adequate if you are only there for a few nights. There is some cross over noise at night, especially if some of the students are having a party, so bring earplugs or join in.
Breakfast is very good, although you will have to navigate the masses if you go at 8. Possibly better to leave it until 8.45 and be at the quieter end.
It is a bit of a walk round the campus to find things and also to town, but there is a bus service operating at standard hours.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank EdinburghSky

Having only just realised that we're on Trip Advisor, we're very glad to have the opportunity to respond.

We do try to accommodate individual guests away from student groups but in 2011 this wasn't possible due to refurbishment works. For 2012 and beyond, we have some lovely new accommodation for our individual bed and breakfast guests.

We're very glad that you enjoyed your breakfast, as we do pride ourselves on the high standards of our food and service.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.