“Great value lunch”
Review of Dame Tartine - CLOSED

Dame Tartine
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The staff told us that they had been open since the beginning of June - so relatively new. The food is an interesting (and successful) evolution based on the French tartine with excellent toppings and side dishes.
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This was our first visit to Dame Tartine and we called in for lunch .
We both had a tartine and this come with 2 sides and free drinks ie soft drink or a glass of wine or beer for just £9.95. I think this is excellent value for money.
All the staff were very attentive and welcoming. The restaurant is spacious and has a very nice atmosphere . The décor is warming and pleasant. Will definitely visit again and will try the a la carte menu next time.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We visited in November 2013 for a quiet birthday evening meal. The place was crammed full and the staff were rushed off their feet, so service took a little while to get started, although to be expected with the amount of people..The food cannot be faulted, I had the Brie starter which was beautiful, followed by the pancakes for main. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and we will be back for more... we're even thinking about visiting the area just to come to the restaurant again!!... The Chef really knows what he's doing!
We decided on dessert just because they sounded too tempting not too.. and even though we were fit to burst, HAD to finish them on account of them tasting so nice!
Personally I found the quantities perfect and not too small at all as other reviews suggest.... we all left feeling very full!
All in all a very lovely meal. Well Done Dame Tartine!!!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We go here regularly because we can always be assured of a pleasant and welcoming experience and in our opinion the food is delicious and beautifully presented! Whether its dinner after a hard's days work, or lunch as a break from shopping this restaurant has a peaceful, restful atmosphere that sets the stage for a prolonged meal. They never hurry you so its more like Europe then a typical restaurant in the UK. I love the food. I'm not a vegetarian but will often choose the vegetarian at Dame Tartine. It is imaginative and delicious and competes completely with the meat or fish course. They have attractive offers most nights or lunches which makes it very affordable. It is my personal favorite restaurant in Tunbridge Wells.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We have visited this restaurant on many occasions - mainly for coffee but have also had lunch and dinner.
Lunch is reasonably priced and the tartines make a change from the usual food on offer at other establishments.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had Dame Tartine recommended and went for Sunday Lunch. We were warmly welcomed, drinks brought swiftly and the food was served quickly. Whilst the food was ok, I wouldn't say it was anything special - one slither of butternut squash, a portion of red cabbage and two roast potatoes - did not hit the spot for good vegetables. I appreciate, this is intended to be 'French Cuisine'!
But really the reason for giving only average was to do with, what I'd describe as 'false advertising'. On the restaurant website, on the placemat at our tables (which is a menu) and on the back of the toilet doors they advertise the details of their Sunday Lunch for 'under a tenner'. However, in December it's £12.95. It does say this on another menu that was given to us.... but I'd suggest that other advertising should be adapted to reflect the December changes. I spoke to Christophe and emailed him privately to invite his response - unfortunately, he doesn't seem to see my point.
So, whilst December is now over..... I would like to warn other diners, that sometimes the special offers at Dame Tartine might not be available.... you'd be wise to check.

1  Thank HAEd
christophe l, Owner at Dame Tartine, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

As you mention my name I would like to add few points from your review. When you came in the restaurant you asked my general manager for the £9.95 roast offer, he kindly explained you that the offer is not valid in December and gave you a menu where it was stated £12.95 for the roast.
You decided to go ahead and eat with us, you asked my waiting staff and myself, if you can use your taste card, again as stated on the website the Tastecard is not valid in December, you spent 10 minutes checking on your mobile.
Your ordered 3 roasts clearly stated at a price of £12.95 on the menu given to you. After your meal, you came back to me and asked me again why the offer is not on. Again I explained you, in December there are no offers, as most of restaurants. You ate all your roast and deserts and I’m glad you enjoyed, your food.
Few days later, I received again an e-mail from you regarding your expectation, I kindly replied and explained you again for the fifth time, the reason why the offer was not valid.
Obviously you were expecting something which you didn’t received and I’m very surprised to have this review 2 days after my answer by e-mail. Especially you were a regular customer with us and never ever had an issue with food and service.
As you mentioned as well, offers have to check all the time as they can change, but we had the same running offer for the last 18 months and was not valid in December 2012, this year and it won’t be valid in December 2014 obviously.

Kind regards