“Change of menu not good”
Review of Tapasya

Tapasya
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Tapasya has an extensive modern Indian menu that's been designed by head chef, KK Anand, who intends to source products locally and evolve the menu regularly to ensure a constantly unique dining experience. Every dish is freshly prepared in an open spaced kitchen for diners to see the talented chefs at work, Tapasya will offer a first class dining experience and is already attracting interest from foodies across Yorkshire. KK Anand is an award-winning chef from India that has been on numerous culinary shows. The Beverley Road restaurant is complemented by a fully licenced bar with a wide selection of champagnes, wines, and speciality cocktails.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We have been coming here on a regular basis for over a year, we have brought friends,family and colleagues it has always been a really great meal with good service in great surroundings. Then they changed the menu which we were really looking forward too. We went around a week after the menu change and it looked really nice and thought out. I ordered the lamb scewers with peppers, which is badly described as it is minced lamb with chilles, not as described really. My old favourite was the tikka which they kept and I ordered, same great taste but cheap dark meat, we both thought this with my wife’s dish. We pointed this out to the restaurant manager who seemed to kind of agree but said it was the new chefs choice to be more authentic. We eat out all over the world and travel as much as we can, if you want to have a mitchelin style Indian you must use quality meats to charge a premium price. The night was Friday and it was only half full, I see from some reviews this has been noticed. Listen to the comments and adjust accordingly it was a great Indian with loads of potential , please don’t drop the quality.

TapOwner, Owner at Tapasya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear James D,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We are very sorry to read that you felt the meat in your dishes were not satisfactory from our new menu. It really is very important to us to ensure our dishes are fresh and of a very high standard.

The local produce at Tapasya is of the highest quality and we can only apologise that you did not feel this came across.

We do hope to see you again and we will take your comments on board.

Many thanks again,

Reviewed 20 March 2018

I have been coming here for over a year now, I am a chef, I can totally endorse this restaurant as outstanding!
Your taste buds will be dancing around in a maize. It never faulters or changes from one week to the next, my wife and i love it.
It is easy to give credit to the owners but credit in this review for me goes to the chefs!!

Very well done.

TapOwner, Owner at Tapasya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Dear ickdean,

Thank you for your review, we're absolutely delighted to hear such positive feedback.

We have a new chef at Tapasya so that is wonderful to hear!

We do hope to see you again very soon.

Many thanks again for such lovely comments.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

I attended this restaurant after reading the reviews on Trip advisor. My husband had initially booked for a party on of 8 , which I later extended to 13. When I called the restaurant and spoke to someone to request additional seats for more diners. I was told that would be fine and no other information was exchanged with me regarding our numbers .
When we arrived on site, the maître’ d approached me and stated that we could only order from a fixed price menu at £25 per head. A set price menu was offered only with no à la carte option.
Amongst the 5 families assembled there were five children all of whom were in town competing in a sporting tournament, that said we not see the children eating £25 worth of food biased toward carbohydrates. I called the man responsible for front of house and made it quite clear that I did not expect the kids to be charged this amount, and at no stage was I offered a kids menu or the ability to deviate and select from the main menu. We only came to this establishment to because of the good choices on the menu not to be told we could only have a limited set menu. The manager persisted that we could only order from the set price menu.

I consulted with my group and called for attention, at this point the manager could not be bothered to deal with us and sent over a young lady to relay the same message again. At this point I got very upset that the manager did not have the skills to manage issues raised by their diners and expected his staff to do what he could not. We were more than happy to leave given the lack of choice. Anyway I was very upset and informed the young lady( who was only doing her job) that if we are forced only to have the fixed menu then we would take our business elsewhere. At this point the manager went on to say that if we wished to order from the à la carte then that we would expect a huge delay with the order. I told him we would only accept a reasonable delay and not an huge delay, the manager agreed and then we placed our order. The restaurant was not overly busy for a Saturday night, time was wasted in a pointless debate.
When the mains were served, the service was in no logical order. The flat breads came out before main dish and the when the main dish did arrive the flat breads were cold. Some of us were severed ahead of other’s and my husband was served last, a significant delay for arguably and easier to cook dish than many others on the table and his roti was cold and he was not offered a replacement. My main was severed at the other end of the table and when it was bought to my attention, my dish had gone cold. I did ask for a replacement, but it was clear from the second dish severed to me that the original dish had been reheated and place in a different dish.
This restaurant is Michelin recommended, however the overall service is not to any real standard. The manager’s behaviour towards was absolutely appalling. The young lady who led the service to our table was great and very attentive. However the rest of the staff had no knowledge of who had ordered which dish and they were very inexperience is their service skills showed.
There were only 3 people out of 13 who ordered starters which came within an reasonable amount of time. However the main order came well over 50 mins later.
Overall this restaurant does not have the skills and capacity to manage bigger groups and to make life easy for their kitchen staff they tried to force a fixed price menu for both adults and children. Unacceptable given they were not busy. I would not come here again. But would recommend it for small groups and couples. One has to say the feedback from the diners on their mains was very positive. The Biryanis were cooked perfectly, my husband’s Monkfish the best he had had in any restaurant. We appreciate a large group can be difficult to serve accurately but the ratio of mistakes was too high given this is not a budget establishment, we were a mixture of professional families and retirees and easy to engage with had the initial welcome have been better.

TapOwner, Owner at Tapasya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Dear Bally1970,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We would first like to apologise for the delay in your service when visiting us. We always try to ensure all dishes are brought to guests in a timely manner.

It is important that our staff demonstrate excellent knowledge of our menu's and ingredients. We are disapointed to learn that you were only offered a set menu, this should not have been the case.

The comments you have made we will take on board and we can only apologise for the numerous mistakes made when you visited.

We do take all your comments on board and may we offer our apologies once again.

Many thanks.

Tapasya

Reviewed 14 March 2018

Elegant restaurant and good service but be aware that the chicken in the Tikka is dark meat even though we checked with the waitress that it was chicken breast. Waitress was very apologetic (to the point that she seemed frightened she would lose her job) and eventually offered us a complementary dessert but manager never bothered coming over. The food is not cheap so can't believe they can get away with serving such cheap meat. The sauce was very tasty but won't be going back or recommending it.

TapOwner, Owner at Tapasya, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Dear David C,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We are very sorry to read that you felt the meat in your dishes were not satisfactory. It really is very important to us to ensure our dishes are fresh and of a very high standard.

We do hope to see you again.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

If I can manage it, I now try to eat at this restaurant every week. It has become my favourite restaurant in this country. Particularly now with the new menu, the food and the service are absolutely outstanding! The Rogni Machhi
Monkfish curry with tamarind, tomatoes, onion and coriander simmered with chillies and ginger, and finisher with cumin and coriander powder is to do die for, and I have fallen in love with British Rail Lamb. In fact I love every dish so far on the new menu! I cannot recommend this restaurant enough! 5 stars! 10 stars!!! Well done Tapasya!!

TapOwner, Owner at Tapasya, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Dear Martin J,

Our new menu is very exciting and new so it is wonderful to read that you have enjoyed it already!!

We do hope to see you again very soon.

Many thanks again for such fantastic comments!