“Sensational - Awesome Thai Food”

A Taste of Thailand Restaurant at Shemara Guest House
Ranked #21 of 141 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2017

My wife and I visited this restaurant on the 2nd August 2017. As we had never had an evening meal within a Bed & Breakfast establishment before and we did have some reservations/expectations about the quality of the food.
How wrong we were!, the food was absolutely fantastic in quality, flavour, presentation, menu choice and cost.
I commenced with the Thai Soup, consisting of king prawns, lemon grass and coconut milk, it was the best soup I have ever eaten. My wife had the Salmon and Prawn Fishcakes with the chilli dip, this was also outstanding, We both had the Red Thai Curry for main course with Jasmine rice. I don`t know how they flavour this rice but it was delicate and beautiful.
The dining room to this establishment is small, as there were only 4 tables, totaling 11 diners on the evening that we attended. This made for a very pleasant, family orientated atmosphere, with excellent service. The 2 members of staff (not sure if they were mother and daughter) were friendly, polite, helpful and humorous. They had an excellent rapour with the guests.
The restaurant is not licensed so you are welcome to take your own alcohol, for a small corkage charge.
I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant for an evening out, you will not be disappointed (but don`t forget your bottle of wine). I wished my wife and I lived local to this establishment as we would be regular visitors, but I can guarantee that next time we visit the Lake District, we will definitely be dining again.

2  Thank john_1_hill

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

The title says it all!

On advice from other reviews, I pre-booked a table a couple of weeks prior to heading to Keswick.... so pleased we did.

You dine in the front room, which was tastefully decorated with oriental charm The menu boasts so many wonderful dishes, with the help of the waitress and the other (8) guests my husband & I chose the roasted breast duck with red Thai curry sauce, and a starter of crispy spring rolls.

I've eaten in many places and this meal surpassed all expectations. The food was plentiful with full Thai flavours, the chef kindly adjusting the chilli heat to our preference.

The intimacy setting and the fine home cooked authentic cuisine sets it way above any other restaurant I have ever visited.

May I thank the lovely waitress/chef for making our experience so special, the service was incredible and to the other diners (who were all locals) for making it an evening we won't forget for a very long while.

2  Thank Roberts01
Reviewed 23 July 2017

tiny restaurant with excellent homecooked food. We try and eat there whenever we are in Keswick. Green Thai and Jungle curry both excellent as were the starters

1  Thank barbwhite258
Reviewed 4 July 2017

We visit this part of the lakes on a regular basis and only just discovered this place for some reason. Shamara, is situated very near to the town centre with a large municipal car park just over the road so parking is not a problem.

So when you have had enough of tourist pub grub this is an excellent alternative to reset your karma. Its a small dinning room so you will need to book, that said the result of the few places in the dinning room results in personal and attentive but not intrusive service. it was a joy to be served by two Thai ladies who constantly smiled.

You will need to take your own alcoholic drinks if you want them and you will be charged corkage but the upside is you get exactly what you want at a price you choose and don't suffer the usual eye watering mark up on drinks associated with other establishments.

We visit Thailand quite a lot and I love everything there including the food there. I am always struck by the Thai's, in Thailand, who always ask you how spicy you want your dish and it was the same at Shemara, so the food is tailored to your personal taste, not set.. Hot, Medium etc. So no need to have your mouth set alight you choose the degree of spice, if any, which is great. I had the green curry which was one of the best I have had even in Thailand. So great food, served to your taste, with the usual Thai smiling, impeccable standard. There is nothing to fault this place. We will be back when next in Keswick.

3  Thank kandaharG28
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Just had dinner at Shemara for the third time and enjoyed it very much. Great food and great service. Highly recommended by me!