“A favourite stopping place”

The Filling Station
Ranked #29 of 141 Restaurants in Keswick
Price range: US$4 - US$11
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family friendly 60's themed cafe diner on the outskirts of Keswick, just 150yds from the A66 with off road private parking and plenty of outside seating. 'Highly Commended' by Cumbria Life Magazine in the 2013 Food & Drink Awards and finalists again in 2015. We offer local freshly ground coffee from John Watt & Sons and an extensive menu including all-day breakfasts, Brunch, a wide range of Lakeland Steakburgers, Eggs Benedict and sweet or savoury American Buttermilk pancake stacks and a wide range of vegetarian options.
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Visited for lunch while out for a motorbike ride. Always friendly staff, great service and excellent food which didn't take long. Great for walkers, bikers, hikers, cyclists, familes and well-behaved dogs. We'll be back.

3  Thank motorbandit

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Took the dogs in for brunch
Such a friendly welcome. Great pancakes and burgers. Huge portions. Great value for money. We loved it...and all the memorabilia too!!

2  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

After reading some mixed reviews about service I was hesitant to visit The Filling Station (despite having stayed just around the corner twice). I took my son for a drink and cake before a late afternoon walk up Latrigg. I got a can of pop and him a chocolate milkshake. We shared a slice of chocolate orange cake. Total was seven pound odd. The cake was the best cake I had in the lake district (and I had many!). So moist and packed with flavour without being sickly. I would recommend anyone visit foe this alone.
Couldn't fault the service at all. Polite service at the counter by a young lady and the older guy who brought our order over saw we were sharing the cake and straight away brought another plate and fork. My son loved the seating and decor details.
The only reason I'm not giving a five star review is I do think the coffee is a bit pricey. I saw this recently discussed on their Facebook page and the price may well be justified by the size and amount of espresso shots but I find the price point to be too high.

3  Thank Jacqueline S
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Stopped for some breaky on the way home from camping and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We were seated straight away and the guy behind the bar was very welcoming, chatty and shared his knowledge of Keswick. My son had a kids meal at £7 which was pancakes with bacon and maple syrup, a drink and a sundae as they had no bananas for a split and he loved it...the rest of us had the all day breakfast which was really really nice and a big mug of tea just what we needed on a cold wet day, would recommend and go again if i was in that area.

3  Thank 874Sarah_W874
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We stopped off for a quick bite as this cafe had been recommended. The menu looked great and I visited the toilet before sitting down. It was absolutely filthy. I'm not talking about muddy boots dirty, which would be understandable but urine flooded floor, filthy toilet covered in pubic hair and dirt, overflowing bin, filthy sink. I covered my hand with some loo roll just to unlock the door to leave! We just left straight away without even sitting down. I'm not one for complaining as a rule but if I owned this cafe, I would appreciate the feed back.

2  Thank mallinson1973
FSCafe, Owner at The Filling Station, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Thank you for your feedback. It is clearly not acceptable and not to our usual standards.

Our staff carry out frequent checks on our WC throughout the day and rectify any mess left behind by people using the facilities as required. Despite these checks we do get some customers, and passers by, who simply don't take care when using the facilities (I hope they don't do this at home!) and its unfortunate for those following them. Although we carry out frequent checks we obviously can't inspect the WC after every use simply down to the sheer numbers at this time of year, and when we occasionally have queues of people waiting to use them. For this reason it's possible that a number of people used the WC since the last check and your visit to is.

We used to have a sign that stated the facilities were for the use of customers only as they were often used by people passing by. It appeared to have helped and we'll put the sign up again in an effort to ensure the WC is only used by customers. We'll also put a sign up inside to remind people to leave it in a presentable condition.

Sorry you had to experience this during your visit.

We do welcome feedback but it's a shame that you simply don't tell our staff or email us as this "terrible" rating reflects badly on the other, excellent, parts of our business. Rather harsh perhaps, especially since it is caused by customers (nd of course people popping in without being customers) who simply don't appreciate the facilities nor think of those following them. We do carry out checks but I'll re-iterate the need to carry them out perhaps more often to our staff this morning.