All reviewspaula grahamtrain stationlake districtperfect hostsguest houselocal knowledgeset us up for the dayperfect locationfull englishlovely breaknice roomfamily roomwarm welcomebiscuitscooked breakfastguesthouselakes
Reviewed 13 November 2016

I had decided on an Autumn break away from my home base due to a set of circumstances which couldn't possibly interest the reader.

I had never visited the Lakes, shamefully - maybe it was the many million annual tourists which had put me off in the past. Now, I'm truly annoyed with myself for not discovering the sublimity of the magnificent Cumbrian landscape earlier in life.

I had planned to arrive after sunset, so picked this charming guest house very close to the station in Windermere, and next door to a thrilling climb up to a mountain top with a vast jaw-dropping 360 vista to include the length of Windermere Lake. What I hadn't realized was that the Lingmoor is 50yds from Mountain Goat Tours, and I managed two of these during my short stay.

Paula is front of house, while Graham oversees the kitchen necessities for a hearty breakfast presented perfectly to your dietary needs. The warmest of congenial hosts; with secure and comfy rooms, and some with generous views of the mountain terrain. Paula is highly knowledgeable and helpful (booking tours) without being intrusive. All these qualities made for a perfect stay. The Golden Mountain Chinese Restaurant (50yds away) offers an ambrosial selection, whilst Paula and Graham can offer other food alternatives to satisfy the most discerning traveller.

Mountain Goat Tours are located just around the corner. Highly recommended for anyone with limited time. The quirky name gives you some idea: small groups are taken off the beaten track stopping at the best viewpoints and most dramatic moments the Lakes has to offer. I rarely do 'packaged' tours more than once - but I intend to repeat both of the spectacular drives again another year, a measure of the company and its erudite staff. (Tony and Ann on this occasion.) Yep, I was blessed on this occasion: a collision of Autumnal colours and Winter mountain snow, two seasons rolled into one. Off season comes highly recommended in the Lakes.

The walking hike up the mountain after breakfast was to the viewpoint known as Orrest Head. Its about 30mins uphill to the top, with a fairly muddy final thrust, and the effort should be made on a sunny morning. No wonder Alfred Wainwright was blown away by the panorama - and millions of others who have followed in his footsteps.

The Lingmoor offers the perfect location - though not exactly on the Lake itself. During the summer months you can bus down to the water's edge at Bowness, or do the 25mins walk, downhill on a sunny day when all will be song and dance.

Room Tip: Rm 4 has a mountain view.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank mikeO1035OC
Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

Lingmoor Guest House Has A comfortable,nice,cosy,snuggly Bed With Free Wifi.The Owners,Paula And Graham gave us an exceptionally warm welcome.The Breakfast,without a shadow of doubt,Is AWARD WINNING.
Keep It Up,Paula And Graham.

Daniel,November 7

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 25 October 2016 via mobile

Very welcoming, Paula and Graham were lovely. We stayed 3 nights, the views were amazing. There was a lot to choose from for breakfast which was good. There was restaurants around Lingmoor guest house, the restaurant in front 'Lamplighter' is absolutely amazing the food is delicious! Not cheap but worth every penny!! Down side is there isn't much parking! Unless you hit lucky really. About 4 minute walk into the town. The room was petite but cosy. We liked it anyway. We really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2016

I had one hour to review all the hotels in Windermere and Ambleside in the Lake District, in the county of Cumbria, U.K. that had vacancies and was within our budget. I was almost giving up, when Lingmoor Guest House cropped up. Lo and behold, they had one vacancy, was affordable, and had fantastic reviews! I grabbed the chance and booked it immediately.
Paula and Graham, owners and hosts responded with lightning speed and offered us all the help we required. Paula gave us detailed directions to the Guest house from the Railway station and also recommended a restaurant opposite the hotel to have dinner, as we were arriving rather late and would not have time to wander around looking for the right place on the very first evening.
Lingmoor means 'heather', the flowering plant, in Norse, the Viking language. Lingmoor
was 5 mins. from the station. To top it all, it was downhill. So, it was a piece of cake to find our hotel and before you could say, 'Jack Robins', my husband and I settled ourselves in our room and were out enjoying the cool and fresh air of Windermere.
Paula and Graham live in the house and run the B&B with great love and care. The rooms are cozy and very clean. Everything you need is there including a wine bottle opener, which was very handy.
Breakfast was superlative. A full English breakfast, even black pudding, if you want it, was cooked by either Graham or Paula. Paula was like a computer, remembering all the choices that guests asked for. NO BLACK PUDDING PLEASE! Sunny side up... No no,...poached on lightly buttered crumpets please....No,no...scrambled please with brown bread toasted. Cumberland sausage, bacon, mushroom, tomatoes, baked beans all washed down with hot steaming tea or coffee. A breakfast like that and you could go hiking or walking (like us), for hours. No wonder, they won a 'Breakfast Award'!
We took a 'Mountain Goat Tour' of 'Ten lakes of the Lake District' in a medium sized bus. The tour guide, Phil, grew up in the area and was simply amazing with all the facts and local gossip. I always thought that there were only 3/4 lakes and knew only Windermere and Grasmere. There are in fact 16 lakes and we saw all ten of them in one day, each one more beautiful than the other. Unbelievable but true- 16 million visitors come to the Lake District every year.
It is all very pretty there. The lovely stone houses, the stone fences, the clean waters of the lakes, the thick green vegetation on the hills, the stunningly green fields of grass with sheep grazing constantly, small waterfalls and streams flowing everywhere, and of course Wordsworth's daffodils in Spring ( which we did not see but hope to see some day).
Dove cottage, where Willuam Wordsworth, Poet Laureate, lived with Mary, his wife, his three children, his sister, Dorothy and 'Pepper', Sir Walter Scott's dog, gifted to Wordsworth, should not be missed. It inspired me to read ' Daffodils' again and maybe, read 'The Prelude', his most famous poem some day soon!
Do visit the Lakes and cruise on them to your heart's delight and if you are cold, when you are back on shore, head for a tea room and enjoy a fresh scone with a pot of clotted cream and plenty of jam with a cup of Earl Grey English Tea.
Don't forget to have your camera ready from the word GO!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Debika R
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

Fabulous stay here at Lingmoor B and B, Paula and graham fantastic hosts ! Very knowledgeable about the lakes and very friendly. Rooms very clean and beautifully furnished and have everything you need for a comfortable stay. Area is so stunning, particularly for walking which we did plenty off ! Would return as often, hoping to visit again soon .

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple