“A wonderful way to spend a crisp winters day”
Review of miller howe

miller howe
Reserve with OpenTable
miller howe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 77 Restaurants in Windermere
Price range: US$32 - US$63
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: If the Lakes are the jewel in the crown of Britain’s countryside then Miller Howe must be the Queen. Why? Because this restaurant is wearing that jewel well. With the most stunning views possible over the beautifully English Lake Windermere, you probably wouldn’t notice if you were sat on a polyester sofa and served up a Kwiksave ready meal. However, take your eyes off the windows for just a moment and you’ll notice that the surroundings are comfortable, good looking and with somehow more than a little taste of Italy. Although A La Carte options are available, most diners will delight in the Set Menu which boasts the very finest dishes using quality British ingredients.
Reviewed 3 December 2016 via mobile

To be honest we have been here before & it has never failed to please! Not quite in the famed John Tovey days & when H.M Liz eat there.
However, it has a deserved 2 AA Rosettes and their fairly new chef Craig Davies is hoping to secure a Michelin Star - which we judged will be forthcoming.
Of course the location is without exception simply stunning & the plates seek only to compliment the views! A delight to the eye and the stomach is already engaged.
To start I had a beautifully balanced Veloute of Pumpkin. This was followed on by a very inventive Pork Belly - cooked to perfection.
I must admit to liking less sweet dishes. But, when one reads: Caramelised Bread & Croissant Pudding flamed cinnamon anglaise & clotted cream.. well ! I can honestly say, it's a wonder I feel able to make any judgement on it. It didn't touch the sides of my mouth. I could have eaten a mountain of it.
Therein of course is an obvious anxiety, as ever with such sublimely decorated plates one is always concerned that the stomach will be totally satisfied.
Glad to report that we were more than catered for with our three courses. I always tend to judge a restaurant on wether one is offered bread & here we were given (no charge) 4 beautiful little loaves.
Because it was lunch we went for a Viognier - which was a beautifully understated wine & not overpriced for such an establishment.
The front of house staff were all engaging, professional in the extreme and very attentive to our every need. I was politely rebuffed in attempting to refill my own glass; Allow me Sir!
To prolong our wonderful occasion we took coffee in the lounge (I mentioned my dislike for overly sweet morsels &) I am afraid to say the petit-fours were a little so... Alas!
An excellent meal and really faultless & well deserving of recommendation & my giving it a premature Michelin Star.

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

The Miller Howe sets its offering of food a cut above the normal"fine dining" establishments. Don't expect roast beef and two veg. This is a culinary experience. The starter we chose was belly pork. Completely not what you would expect arrived. It was piquant, with amongst other things small morsels of black pudding It was deliciously filling too. The bread rolls like mini-Hovis shapes were glazed with oil and crispy. How?
The mains were Mallard and Sole. Both were beautifully constructed with multiple flavours to caress your taste buds. The portions do not look large, but they are fully satisfying.
Deserts were banana cheesecake and lemon white chocolate. Delicious but unlike the description. The wine was a very tasty New Zealand Sauvinon Blanc at £24. This is a place for a special occasion not just a regular Sunday lunch. The front of house staff are all super, friendly and very good at their jobs.

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed at the Miller Howe for two nights whilst attending a wedding in Bowness with the reception at the Miller Howe. We'd heard of the hotel for many years when it achieved fame in the John Tovey era but had never stayed or dined there previously so we were excited to at last have the opportunity of sampling this iconic restaurant's fare. My wife & I each chose a starter and a main course from the imaginative but limited a la carte menu. The wine list was very extensive and I pushed the boat out by ordering a Burgundy which was much more expensive than we usually have. But the whole ambience and the stunning views over Lake Windermere make you feel that you're experiencing a special occasion. Whilst we were waiting for our starters to arrive we were presented with a complimentary appetiser which was a delectable kind of creamy soup with tiny pieces of pickled cauliflower immersed in it. The starters were small portions but excellent and our mains, turbot for me and duck for my wife were very satisfying although the duck was possibly a bit too pink for our taste. The service was good without being too fussy and we thoroughly enjoyed our first meal at the Miller Howe.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Good to return after a number of years. Good friendly service. Nice position in stunning district. then went onto Grassmere which has changed quite a lot but still beautiful. The Dove resteraunt was excellent in Wordswoth Hotel

Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

Superb views. Had afternoon coffee overlooking Lake Windermere. Spotless clean hotel in luxury period house. Highly recomended.