“A " self-service "meal”

The Monro Gastropub
Reserve with OpenTable
The Monro Gastropub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #312 of 1,812 Restaurants in Liverpool
Price range: US$11 - US$43
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Arrived to find that the booking system had gone awry and that they couldn't seat us in the restaurant so we were popped into a tiny table at the bar. The service was more like self service - we ordered some drinks at the same time as our food, the starter turned up in minutes but after ten minutes we were still chasing down our drinks. We then needed to chase down wine glasses. And cutlery. The food itself was good for pub grub, but nothing spectacular as we had been expecting from reviews. Perhaps a bit of a bad day??

Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

I have eaten Sunday roast here over the years a few times and always had a great experience. For a change, I booked mid-week for a meal with friends and oh my goodness, we weren't disappointed. The staff are so very lovely, helpful and friendly, which is always a good start! For starters, we had the Korean sticky chicken: it was heavenly. So tasty and an incredible, exciting selection of flavours in the marinade. My friend had the scotch eggs, which were also delicious. The highlight was the main course: roast lamb, cooked to perfection and melt-in-the-mouth. It was full of flavour and so tasty and rich. The accompaniments on the plate were all utterly delicious too: who would have thought you could do something to black olives to make them taste even better than normal?!!! Roasted peppers, divine potato croquettes (these were the best I've ever tasted-the chef is clearly magic!!!!) and a divine Jus to finish off too. I couldn't have returned a cleaner plate to the waitress (and if I could have licked it clean I would have!). My friend had the burger and this was so tasty too; the combination of flavours in the meat were fabulous. We had a delightful bottle of Pinot Grigio too and a flavoursome Malbec to add to perfection.

Top marks The Monro, we will be returning!

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Went on a Thursday evening were we found the place to be busy but not too busy.
The service was excellent despite the waitress working on her own. We weren't kept waiting for anything Aelish certainly looked after us.
The food was lovely as usual. We both had the black pudding and egg to start. My partner had the steak and I opted for Fish and Chips. The portions were just right and quality of the food was excellent.
My only grumble was last orders was 10pm despite there being a number of customers still in the pub. So felt our evening was well and truely cut short.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

For once we went out on a Thursday and I was surprised it was quite busy. We ordered our food and being quite predictable I had the fish and my partner had the steak yet again. The food was lovely and excellent service from a young lady who has only recently started working there Arelish.
This poor lady was run off her feet and yet nothing was too much for her.
Well Done Will for employing such good staff.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We hadn`t eaten at the Munro for a while but, as we had always had a good meal there and it has always had a warm and welcoming atmosphere, we chose there for dinner with friends who were visiting Liverpool. When my wife booked , the young lady said we would have a table in the window, so we were surprised ( and disappointed) to see both window tables occupied. It was about 40 minutes before our table was booked as we intended to have a cocktail ( or 2!) before eating. It was a Wednesday evening and it was not particularly busy so we were surprised that others had been allocated these tables. However, we all enjoyed our cocktails and did manage to have a table in the window.9 The other occupants must not have had a dessert !) The food was delicious and very reasonably priced, as was the wine, and the service was very good. The only thing that disappointed us was that the evening ended too quickly. By 10.15 -10.30pm the place was empty except for us and, although we were told we need not rush, we felt we could not ask for an after dinner drink. A lovely evening had started badly and ended too quickly but we will certainly eat there again , perhaps of a weekend when it will be busier.