“Delicious Afternoon Tea at Claridges”

The Foyer At Claridge's
Reserve with TopTable
The Foyer At Claridge's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 24,548 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$200
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: The huge sparkling Chihuly light sculpture and grand art deco of the Foyer transforms this Mayfair restaurant into a magical dining space, whilst the inviting banquettes of the Reading Room allow for more intimate dining. Frequented by famous faces for over a hundred years, it's the perfect venue for a light meal, sipping cocktails and the best afternoon tea in London.
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I had afternoon tea with my partner at Claridges on Sunday 7th August This was a Christmas present and like all popular London afternoon tea venues you really need to book well in advance 8 months to a year.
The art deco room was elegant, comfortable, the atmosphere relaxed and the staff was polite and discreet. During our visit there was music provided first by a pianist accompanied by a cellist and later on a a pianist was accompanied a bass player. As usual the food consisted of a selection of finger sandwiches, scones and little cakes/ pastries. Having being at the Ritz last year I would say that the quality and finesse of the food here was much better. The sandwiches were very light and very tasty, our favourite being the ham which had a lovely smear of mustard. The apple and raisin scones were absolutely beautifully light. Our selection of cakes consisted of a slice of lemon & lavender cake (subtle flavours), a Moorish chocolate cake, a lovely raspberry shot (zingy jelly, mousse, fruits and foam) and a tartelette . There is of course a large selection of teas and I opted for the Chinese Chun Mee a green tea with a delicate taste. As at the Ritz you can drink as much tea as you like and can re-order as many items as you wish. All in all a very enjoyable experience, and notch up better than the Ritz.. For art deco fans the rest rooms are a must with so many nice architectural details.

1  Thank NellyHastings
Write a ReviewReviews (1,312)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Had afternoon tea with my husband during a recent trip to London. We chose Claridge's over all of the other options in London because of the positive reviews for their Gluten Free tea option, as my husband needs it.

Overall, we enjoyed the experience. The sandwiches were good, not fabulous, but good. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his, and they were done to the same standard as mine. The tea selection was quite good, and even my husband, who is not a big tea drinker, found a mint tea that he really enjoyed. The 'dessert' course is where things fell apart for me. Husband's platter of mini pastries was out of this world, what you would expect from a high end place- a little iced chocolate cake and a rasperry pastry sandwhich, and of course the scones. The fact that they were all gluten free made them all the more impressive. Mine, on the other hand, looked downright homespun and more graduation-party-buffet than high end. I didn't get a single iced cake, and banana bread just isn't my idea of high class. Everything still tasted good, but I was not wowed, and for the price and the atmosphere I expected to be.

Service was good, both of our servers stumbled over what they were serving us, which surprised me, but I'm not the type of person to think of that as a negative. Overall, I would certainly go back if we were in the area, given the superior gluten free experience my husband had, but I would hope for a litle more flair in the desserts for me.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

I don’t have lots of experience when it comes to English afternoon tea, but this was without a doubt a very successful one. As mentioned before, the foyer is lovely and elegant, with a cello/piano duo playing for guests. Service is a bit tight as expected in such a place, but still nice and professional. The tea selection is very attractive, and the food is spot on. The scones (we chose plain scones and apple scones) with jam and cream were the best part. Pastries on the other hand were good but not fabulous. Considering the fact that we got several tea/sandwiches/scones refills and 2 small tins filled with tea when we left, I found the place quite inexpensive.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I came here for afternoon tea with my mum for our birthdays, and absolutely loved it.

All the sandwiches and cakes were gorgeous, the tea was lovely too. As I have wheat and yeast intolerances I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but they altered everything for me, as opposed to eliminating/swapping things. Service and atmosphere were both amazing, (the cloakrooms are pretty impressive too!)

Definitely worth it and I will be going back.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

My sister wanted to go to Claridges for afternoon tea for her birthday so I reserved a slot and brought my mum along to.

BOOKING: This was really easy, I just emailed the hotel with the date I wanted and they emailed me back the same day with available time slots. I then read the posts on this forum regarding the extras for birthdays including the playing of "happy birthday" on the piano and the cake with the candle so I asked for that to be added and that was all done efficiently.

LOCATION: The nearest tube station is Bond Street (Jubilee/Central line) and the hotel is a 2 min walk from the tube. You can't miss it as it has loads of flags outside.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Oh dear, I arrived and remembered that I'd been to afternoon tea here before, so either a) I go to afternoon tea too much and it's all becoming a blur or b) it didn't make an impression the first time....the latter is more likely.

The afternoon tea is held in a room directly ahead of you as you enter the foyer (hence the name!)...this has a skylight and a wonderful crystal chandelier. However, we were taken to the room next to this, and this room had no natural outside light so it is a bit dark and you could barely hear the piano or see anyone coming and going.

SERVICE: It started off well with a lovely Australian waiter making jokes and settling us in but then we were allocated an Eastern European who we couldn't understand (we couldn't understand what sandwiches were being provided) and although she was very efficient she wasn't very friendly. I note that a previous poster has made this comment - come on Claridges sort it out!

FOOD/TEA: OK, first the tea was superb. There's always a chance that tea made en-masse will be stewed and yucky but this was absolutely perfect......cup after cup, after pot of tea after pot of tea (five pots in total)
The food wasn't so hot, in fact the sandwiches seemed to have come straight from hours spent in a chilly fridge so all the taste was gone. The pastries were so so but the scones were fantastically light and tasty and the whole scone/cream/jam thing was very well presented.

The staff did indeed provide as many sandwiches/scones/pastries that you could eat and we were also provided with a canister of tea each plus the cakes we couldn't eat to take home.

Other than the waitress and chilly prepared tasteless sandwiches, it wasn't bad.

Watch out that you don't tip twice as a "discretionary" service charge of 12.5% has already been added to the bill (i.e. that's the tip)

SUMMARY: For the best afternoon tea IMO, it has to be The Dorchester...been there three time and it is wonderful....you can hear the piano, the room is bright, you can see everyone and everything and the tea is sublime,the food is superb and the waiters are all charming.

2  Thank Catherine_London