“Overpriced & Underwhelming”

Ranked #1,486 of 23,764 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$35 - US$140
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Greenwich
Description: Previously known as the Millennium Dome, the 02 is an incredible feat of architectural brilliance, boasting a spectacular array of entertainment, shopping and dining. Our 02 restaurant and bar offers a luxurious escape for all arena guests amidst the electric atmosphere, especially for those looking to enjoy a leisurely pre-show lunch or celebrate any kind of special occasion. From our sunken cocktail bar to the mind-blowing balcony dining lounge, and our private VIP suite inside the arena itself, we have an array of show-stopping spaces to make every occasion utterly unique. For us, it’s the ultimate location to host events and dining experiences. From full restaurant hires to taking over our VIP suite for the ultimate dinner and show experience, our events team is on hand to help you create a truly memorable event.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Never been before. Will not return. This establishment is the epitome of style over substance.
Ate here on Friday night in a party of 4 for a delayed post lockdown, joint birthday, wedding anniversary, Christmas & Easter celebration.
We were treated to average quality overpriced Steaks, which should be considered a crime at a steak restaurant, but the real rip-off are the sides. £5 for a side of mushrooms that consisted of one small finger sized mushroom sliced lengthways and £5 for a handful of undercooked butter drenched green beans. Drinks were day-light robbery too, but that seems to be standard practise for London.
The whole meal was a very sorry state of affairs.
The quality and value for money is far better at the Brazilian Buffet further inside the O2 or even across the way at All Bar One.
If you want to look like you've got plenty of cash to throw away and you think that eating here will look good on your insta account then fill your boots, but if you want good food, reasonably priced and not served up somewhere that is designed to attract Premiership footballers or patrons of Spearmint Rhinos, then look elsewhere.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed 15 December 2020

Great evening with my family, friendly service, amazing food andnlovely atmosfere
going back for sure

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 5 November 2020

I would like to tell you of our insulting and repulsive experience at Gaucho’s O2 restaurant tonight. We made a booking over the phone with them a couple of days ago. The booking was accepted and no one advised of any table time limitations at the time. They also called us to confirm the reservation the day before. Again, no time restrictions were mentioned at that time either.

May I just begin with the statement that people attend a restaurant in order to enjoy the entire experience rather than to eat as quick as they possible can and then to be shuffled out of the door while still chewing.
We arrived at the restaurant at 5:15 pm, about 15 minutes before the time of our reservation. We went upstairs. The entire floor was almost empty while we followed the hostess towards a room in the back. It was totally empty, with lights blaring all around. There wasn’t even music. It felt as if the place was not even open. I expressed that I would rather sit in the main area. She then confirmed that she could move us but in there would soon be very, very busy. We insisted on moving and were then given a table in the main area. She then unceremonially advised that we have the table for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It was 5:20 pm and 10 minutes before our reservation time. There were about 5 tables occupied in the restaurant. I tried to clarify with her several times if she was referring to 15 or 50 minutes as it was difficult to understand through the mask. In fact, it did not even cross my mind that someone could be sitting people for 1 hour and 15 minutes in a place that bills about £100 per customer so I just assumed that she meant 1 hour and 50 minutes.
The waiter then came, all smiles. I decided to reconfirm with him the time restrictions. He said that we have the table for 1 h 15 minutes. Upon my statement that people go out to enjoy the entire experience as opposed to just stuffing their faces and leaving, I was told that it is a grill where you just flip the things on both sides and it is ready. Then he followed to confirm that he is not the one making the rules. I then had the mistake to ask him for a manager. The waiter then went and communicated this to a gang of loose hanging waiters who were just hovering behind out table, as if to scare us out of complaining. A loud, heckling mockery came out of one of them, an African heritaged person with short dreadlocks. In a second a short, bold individual appeared towards me stating that he is that manager. I expressed my concern. He then said that they were fully booked and they were closing down at 10:00 pm so….while shrugging his shoulder and stretching his hands. I was dismayed at the unprofessional approach so said that I shall not be paying any tip as 1 hour hardly deserves any service. He then started to walk away in a huff, yelling that if this is all I wanted it could be arranged. I then continued talking to him, trying to explain that we had come out for the experience rather just to eat as quick as we can but he continued to walk away while yelling at me from afar, possibly 5 meters away where everyone could hear that I had chosen to go there, he had not done it for me. I yelled back, across tables that no one has advised of time restrictions at the time of reservation and that I would write a complaint on any web site and to corporate. I also yelled asking him for his name, which he yelled back from about 6 meters away. I was so angry and embarrassed that I did not even hear him. He was however very short, bold and with an attitude of a joint owner who does not need his customers. I was flabbergasted to be treated like this in a corporate establishment. In the end and after all this we just slammed the menu on the table and started to walk out while being heckled on our way towards the door. The experience ruined our evening and left us repulsed and insulted. I would have thought that in times when the O2 joints have absolutely zero clientele from show goers, they should have the sense to be more polite to local visitors…Alas…..
I suppose that the by sitting us in the empty room initially, the hostess intended for us to sit for an hour by ourselves with no music around and other customers just to be told to get out, possibly while the room was still empty and on our walk of shame towards the door. I have never expected to be humiliated when visiting a corporate upmarket dining establishment that charges on average £100. I am left in a total disbelief!

1  Thank pooksi
Reviewed 5 November 2020

Gauchos 02 has forgotten that people go out to nice restaurants for an atmosphere, good food and conversation. To be told we only have one hour and 15 minutes to eat is ridiculous (was not told when i booked). The resteraunt may close at 10pm due to Covid-19 but that doesn't mean you overbook so much that people have to rush their meal to quickly get the next mouths in. We came in early even and the booking was at 17:30. When we pointed the short time out to the manager on duty his reply was that you booked here so ...basically our own fault. Anyway wont be back if they reopen after second lockdown. If you want fast food go down the road to McDonalds.

1  Thank Travelinmfs
Reviewed 4 November 2020

Having heard good things about gaucho I decided to take my partner here for his birthday celebration. It started off very well as I had booked for 7 but thought it was 7.30 (my mistake) and they kindly sorted this out and we got a table around 7.45. We was extremely happy as we really wanted to eat here.

We decided to go for the sharing platter of steak which was highly recommended by our waiter. My partner loves steak so we couldn’t wait for it to arrive. When it arrived it looked perfect. However we was wrong. It was burnt on the edges and 70% of the steak was extremely chewy to the point a couple of pieces for me were inedible. The sides we had were spinach, mushrooms, mash and green beans. They were ok however they wasn’t very hot at all.

Whilst eating our dinner still at around 8.45 we was told if we wanted dessert we had to order it now as they was closing at 10pm. 1 hour 15 minuets for dessert sounds like enough time for me especially as we was sharing it. However we was pushed into ordering a dessert there and then if we wanted one to follow our meal.

Our plates were cleared 2 minutes later and I told the waiter we were going outside for a vape and would be back in 5 mins. He said no problem and when he sees that we are back he will bring our dessert out. We got back to our table within 5 mins and our dessert was already on the table waiting (we had only finished our mains 10 mins previous and was not even at the table when they brought it out)
We couldn’t eat the dessert however as we had no cutlery and by the time it was brought over the ice cream had already melted and the brownie was cold.

Whilst eating the dessert we was told they were closing soon and would bring the bill over. This was now 9.15 and we still had 45 minutes until closing. The bill was brought over and we instantly had to pay. We both felt very rushed and like we was being told to leave and everything was a massive rush. Which I’m not sure why as we still had plenty of time. I understand they have to close at 10pm and maybe even leave at 9.45pm however we still had plenty of time for this.

Being a waitress myself I understand how stressful the 10pm closing can be with customers needing to be paid and out however being rushed how we was you would think they was closing at 9.15!

Would I go back here - No
Would I recommend here - No

All in all having paid £183 for food and service, we was both left very disappointed. I generally felt like asking for my money back. The price certainly did not match the food or very rushed service.

1  Thank Lool28