“High-end food at affordable prices coupled with quality service and a peaceful environment”
Review of Tamarind Kitchen

Tamarind Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Tamarind Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #856 of 24,659 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Soho
Neighbourhood: Soho
Reviewed 30 March 2018

As the title suggests, the restaurant offers some high quality food at great prices. We went for lunch which had a short list of set menus you can choose from. 2 courses - 15GBP, 3 courses - 18GBP. We both chose the 3-course menu.

My starter: Samosa Chaat - A vegetable samosa sitting on a bed of chickpeas with a yogurt sauce. Delicious.
My main: Saag Ghosht - some great pieces of tender, juicy lamb, cooked to perfection. It comes covered in a garlic, cumin sauce which was just as good as the lamb - I helped myself, shamelessly, to dunking the accompanying naan bread until there wasn't a drop of the sauce left. Your main is served with sides of rice (or bread), Aloo Jeera (potatoes) and Takda Dal (lentils) - which are all great.
My dessert: Pistachio Kulfi - I was already full before this dessert arrived. Thankfully, the dessert is a small-medium portion but a great way to end the meal. Best Kulfi I've had.

Ms Wine had -
Starter: Chicken Tikka - two generous chunks of marinated chicken to get your appetite going. It was tender and delicious.
Main: Murg Makhanwala - a more elaborate chicken tikka served in an outstanding tikka sauce. Spice factor was just right for her (mild-medium) and great for soaking your rice up with.
Dessert: Tandoori Annanas - who knew that grilled marinated with cinnamon and honey would be so tasty? Fantastic idea. It's a good alternative to the Kulfi if customers prefer something lighter and alternative.

We also had one of the best cocktails in London (as far as my experience is concerned) to date: the passionfruit chilli martini. A vodka-based cocktail that tasted as good as it smelled. The passsionfruit comes through quite nicely, along with some lemon juice to take the sweetness down to a manageable level. It's got a spicy finish with every sip. Quite a delight.

The staff were on point throughout our lunch. Kind and welcoming. And what I appreciated the most of the experience is that all of this came with the bonus of a very tranquil space and environment. Although we went when it had only about a 1/3 of the restaurant occupied, the music was quiet and calm setting the tone for the customers to have a nice, peaceful experience. Something you don't get very often in the likes of Soho, so it was a great change of pace.

You'll be seeing more of me, no doubt.

Natalja N, Guest Relations Manager at Tamarind Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear MrFood-MsWine,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Tamarind Kitchen.

Our team is thrilled to be receiving such a wonderful review and knowing that our efforts are clearly leaving our guests happy.

The elaboration of our food is so beautifully stated and I am glad to learn that we have matched up to all your expectations.

Your positive remarks regarding this experience is being passed on to our Chef's team as well as our front of house members.

Upon your next visit, I would highly recommend our Malabar Prawn (a main dish, if you are a fan of seafood), which is quite a popular pick among our diners as well.

Thank you once again for choosing to dine with us and we look forward to welcoming you on many more occasions to come.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I reviewed them last year but have been back several times because the food is so good. I went again last night and it didn't disappoint!

The food is excellent (we had a delicious butter chicken that was not on the menu) and the staff are very friendly. Our waiter last night, Aliston, was great. It's nice to find places in Soho where they really make the effort for good service.

I'll be back.

Dear something_similar,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

First we would like to convey our gratitude towards you for choosing to dine with us on multiple occasions.

We are so pleased to be receiving positive remarks about our food and services.
Your comments of appreciation is being passed on to our Chef's team as well as Aliston and his fellow team members.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you on many more occasions.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Arrived early and we were the first two customers at 12:30 which worried me a bit at first. We had the popadoms as an appetiser and the accompanying sauces were all good. GUCHI KOFTA
Morel mushroom and paneer dumplings in a spiced creamy sauce was absolutely delicious and just the right amount of spice. TANDOORI SUBZI
Chargrilled and spice-marinated paneer, mushroom, broccoli, pineapple and peppers was really tasty but there was only one small square of paneer which was disappointing but the flavours were good. Also had a chilli man which was excellent and the TADKA DAL
Tempered yellow lentils with garlic, cumin & coriander which again the flavours were great but if I was being picky the consistency was too watery for my tastes.

MASALA CHAI BRÛLÉE
Spiced tea brûlée with rose biscotti and sweet ginger jelly for the desert was amazing and delicious.
KULFI MARTINI was awesome and so tasty.

Natalja N, Guest Relations Manager at Tamarind Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Dear Stephen C,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tamarind Kitchen.

We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed our food and services whilst with us.
As your feedback is highly of importance to us, kindly note that your comments have been passed on to our respective team members.

Thank you once again for paying us a visit and we hope to welcome you on many more occasions to come.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

In my not so humble opinion, I'm a connoisseur of Indian restaurants world-wide. The best on the planet is Spice Lounge, Norwich; I've never found one i India to match it. Second is Bombay Chopsticks in the Caymans. With the sad sudden closure of Tamarind in Pulborough, it was a thrill to find this similarly named place near Soho. My Hackney-based kid suggested it for a family dinner on a recent visit.

The service was very gracious and thoughtful. No rush, even though there was a brisk trade. We (there were five of us) shared several appetizers, each of which was perfectly spiced and flavoured: Aloo Tikki Chaat especially (subtle potatoes) but my favourite was a prawn kebab. Then a touch of class: sorbet served to cleanse the palate between courses.

The Jaipuri Gosht was my choice for a main, as I don't eat lamb at home; my companions enjoyed their paneer dishes (for the vegetarians). I'm not sure I got the truffle naan I ordered but the one that did arrive was adequate; I then convinced the to share ginger and pistachio kulfi (my own measure of a good Indian) and my kid went for the fascinatingly long-stemmed kulfi martini. He gave it two thumbs up!

I'll continue y quest for fine Indian cuisine, but this place deserves another visit next time I'm in the city.

Dear Nathan_Barnaby,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review based on your recent visit to Tamarind Kitchen.

We are happy to hear that an Indian cuisine connoisseur like you has shared some positive words about us.
As your feedback is of high importance to us we have forwarded your beautiful and inspiring comments to our respective team members.

Upon your next visit, I would highly recommend our Malabar prawn with Sade Chawal for the main course which is a popular choice among our diners.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review us and we hope to welcome you on many more occasions to come.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Venue was excellent and the staff explained the menu very effectively. The restaurant was larger than we expected but well laid out. Exceeded expectation.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Dear Diner,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tamarind Kitchen.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time whilst with us.
Your comments of appreciation have been passed on to our Chef and his team as well as the front of house team members.