“great spot”
Review of Dishoom Kensington

Dishoom Kensington
Ranked #65 of 24,250 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$4 - US$36
Description: Dishoom pays loving homage to the Irani cafes that were once part of the fabric of life in Bombay. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost 400 of these cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Today, fewer than 30 remain. These cafes broke down barriers by bringing people together over food and drink.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The restaurant is fresh and modern with excellent wait staff and quality food from a varied and rich menu.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Dishoom seemed to be mentioned in everything I read about the London restaurant scene so I was eager to check it out. The Kensington location near our hotel so it was an appealing choice even though it had only recently opened. What a gorgeous space! There’s definitely a happy energy emanating from the fusion of Art Deco design, jazzy soundtrack and the buzz of a full dining room enjoying good food. And the food is good! Two surprises: the okra fries made me see this (to me) meh vegetable in a whole new light...and the chocolate pudding was (OMG!) the star of the show! The spicy lamb chops however were a slight disappointment. We asked for them medium rare (which apparently is not how they are typically cooked) but they came out medium well and rather dry. The server offered to replace them but it didn’t seem worth the bother.

They say that first impressions are the most important and I think the bar offerings could use some improvement (and most patrons will spend a fair amount of time at the bar given the no-reservation policy). It all sounded very interesting until I realized there really wasn’t much for someone who doesn’t enjoy sweet drinks. The bartender actually went through the menu and came to the same conclusion. He finally suggested the Cyrus Irani which he promised would not be sweet...but tasted to me like a glass of simple syrup. He graciously agreed to make another drink (some variation of a Negroni) but even that was a bit sweet for my taste. I did like the Dishoom I.P.A. I had with the food. But later at the end of the meal, I was in the mood for a whisky and learned that there was literally a single single malt to be had.

We enjoyed the meal overall but perhaps the newest member of the Dishoom family hasn’t yet hit its stride. All the signs are definitely positive however!

1  Thank Suzala103
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Four of us had lunch at Dishoom, one of whom was from Mumbai. We chose to have a selection of small plates all of which were delicious and very well priced. The service was excellent and the dining room is beautifully done.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My friend and I came here yesterday and I was so excited to try it because of the amazing reviews of each chain!
I want to start off by saying that customer service was AMAZING, our waitress Naomi was so sweet and really helpful. Since it was my first time there we got these nice little crisps on the house to start off with.
The only reason I'm writing this review is to not suggest certain dishes to future customers because, unfortunately, we were really disappointed with the food! But I am sure we were just unlucky, as all the reviews rave about how good the food is.

I asked for a suggestion of a milky and creamy chicken dish and was suggested the chicken biryani, however it was too rice heavy, not milky or creamy, and unfortunately I didn't think the flavor was anything special. I ended up adding a lot of the chutneys on the table to my dish to give it more flavor. That may be completely my fault since I am not familiar with Indian food so should have chosen something else.

My friend had the Bedmi puri and it was SO incredibly spicy that it was impossible to eat - I am mexican and LOVE spicy food so that is saying something! Our waitress suggested she get a coconut yogurt (she is lactose intolerant) to reduce the spice so she accepted it. However we found it quite funny that the yogurt was just the alpro almond with coconut yogurt (we buy it all the time so are very familiar with the taste) without any mint or other flavors, and it cost just as much as the normal raita.

What was also quite interesting was that we had wrong orders given to us 4 times. Once it was a main, twice cocktail drinks, and once a small starter plate, and it was awkward to keep having to reject them. However this did not ruin the experience for us at all and the waiters were always very apologetic!

At the end, because of our experience, the manager took my friend's spicy dish off the bill which we were very grateful for and also gave us two chai's on the house as an apology! That was really nice of them.

I will give this place another try for sure because the ambiance was amazing and so was the decor, and so was our waitress and their response to our reactions. I'm sure we were just really unlucky with the food this time which is a shame!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I was craving Indian food and this place came up as one to try on my overnight in London. I was dining alone, and I’m not always welcomed or treated as special as a party of one, but here was different. Right away I was greeted and sat in a great table, and the great service continued from there. My server was excellent and made some great suggestions for me. I already knew I wanted the chicken ruby since it got such great reviews and I was in the mood for Indian food that night. I added some garlic naan and a nice cold beer and it was the perfect amount of food. They have an excellent menu and if you are dining with a few people I would highly recommend sharing a few dishes. The atmosphere was hip and classy. Great for a date or a group of friends. Loved this place! Can’t wait to go back!

1  Thank elizacass