“We were really looking forward”
Review of Cornerstone

Cornerstone
Ranked #1,689 of 23,778 Restaurants in London
Reviewed 12 December 2020 via mobile

We were really looking forward to this meal but have to say I was slightly disappointed. I was a bit surprised that as we walked in we were seated on stools by the open kitchen (and right by the door) rather than given a proper table. Not what we were expecting. The food was a mixed bag. Grey mullet tartare and pickled oyster were very good but some of the dishes were too unbalanced for our taste. The crab crumpet and hake Kiev were too rich and mackerel pate was too much cream and not enough fish.

Date of visit: December 2020
Write a reviewReviews (169)

Reviewed 5 November 2020

We have visited this restaurant a number of times and some dishes are really good. However, the service seems to get worse with the restaurants success, this time we were rushed through lunch in just over an hour. The first dishes arrived before our drinks and there was no breathing time between. I’d understand if they packed the restaurant bookings in to cater to distancing measures and get more covers but the place was empty - perhaps we are not their chosen demographic. The wine list is small and expensive. The crumpet was dripping in butter and the amount of crab was minimal and overseasoned. Charging £18 is laughable. I think people are happy to pay for artistry and expensive produce is but crab and crumpet are cheap. Charging £18 for the grey mullet tartare is also steep as whilst the flavours were good it was so soy heavy it overpowered the fish and couldn’t taste it. The waiter suggested sharing but these tiny portions are sloppy so not really ideal for sharing even with a partner.
The hake Kiev is no better than the one my local pub has done for years, the breadcrumb was extremely thick and the fish inside was on the dry side.
The oysters are delicious and the bread and desserts were lovely but for £200 for lunch (only a carafe of wine) when rushed in and out in an hour and over seasoned overpriced food comes across badly. It wouldn’t harm if they added some vegetables to the menu either. The staff appear to have become increasingly more moody and obnoxious which doesn’t really work when they attempt to upsell the menu. After our speed lunch we were given the bill without asking. Don’t believe the hype.some lovely dishes but overpriced over seasoned, the experience is not up to scratch.

1  Thank AHickss86
Reviewed 29 October 2020

Just ate here tonight to celebrate getting a new job. Been wanting to come for a long time after seeing their food through Instagram.

The atmosphere was right up my street. Indie music, cool decor but really professional service. Felt like the restaurant got the balance spot on with coolness/professionalism. Not poncey at all.

Food was spot on, I had the tasting menu with the wine pairing. Hake Kiev was class and the sea bream tartare was very good. My fav dish was the fish with the pumpkin (can't actually remember the name of the fish) but it's great.

Can't wait to come back

Reviewed 28 October 2020

We visited Cornerstone last night, I have to say I absolutely understand everyone has their own view point but I am at a loss to the reviews that were disappointing with this restaurant. We walked into great atmosphere that is a real challenge to achieve under the current circumstances and all the team did their upmost to ensure that people were having a great time. The food was incredible and it’s a tough call to say which would be my favourite as each course was beautifully presented and tasted exquisite. My partner thought that the bream tartare was sublime and this was his favourite dish, I have to say this place is a must go and I would make the journey from the Midlands again to visit this absolute gem of a restaurant. A huge well done to the kitchen team that made a busy service look effortless last night in the open kitchen and the front of house team that were charming, professional and attentive. Special mention to the pastry chef for the amazing cheese course of baron bigod with carrot and walnut cake. We will definitely return again.

Reviewed 24 October 2020

This was our third visit and the seafood and atmosphere is truly outstanding. Despite tier 2 and social distancing the restaurant was very relaxed. We had the tasting menu on previous visits and loved it all so decided to go for the full menu washed down with crispy white wine. The raw oysters, scallops were divine and crab crumpet still a delight. The Hake Kiev and mushroom butter was perfectly cooked. All the dishes were beautifully balanced and ingredients carefully chosen. Dishes well paced and service was perfect.

A bit expensive but if you like fine dining and love seafood this is a place to visit. We are already booked for December!