“I miss their duck!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 4 September 2019

I actually ate the packed duck rice and got to know this restaurant through a friend. I read mixed reviews and was hesitating if I should come personally. Since I turn up alone, it was easy for me to get a seat - those in groups of 4 or more had to wait together with bigger families or locals who wanted a taste of good food. Contrary to my expectation, the auntie (sounds Malaysian to me, but I could be wrong) and other staff were quite patient to me. I was seated just behind the counter and since the door kept opening and closing due to people trying to enter the restaurant, I felt cold. But like I said, the staff was quite prompt so I could easily get my order, my food and pay.

I must say even if I had eat lots of duck elsewhere, in London and overseas, this one deserves a praise! The fat and the taste was perfect! A little salty, but that is how things are when we dine out most of the time. I liked it so much, I packed extra portion for next day lunch. Staff was very kind and advice me how to store it and best to eat it by the next day else it won't taste as good. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a reviewReviews (827)

Reviewed 4 September 2019 via mobile

The staff is saying it in jest when he/she announced the roast duck is the best duck in the world when it is brought to each table. It is not the best roast duck you can find in London and other countries. The duck meat is not awful but ordinary. The skin could have been crispier and it surely can do with less oil and salt when preparing it.

The rice noodles and minced meat with salted eggs are all too heavy in salt and oil. The waiter politely told our table that they have many diners from Thailand who prefer heavy salt and oil in the dishes, and in future, we could have requested the Chef to put less oil and salt. But how would first-time diners know that? In this day and age of healthy dining, the high level of salt and oil used in the dishes is certainly a deterrent for repeat visits. The restaurant management should take note.

The tou fu (bean curd) with crab meat is bland. Hence the chef seems to be inconsistent in the cooking (or the various dishes were cooked by chefs of very different styles).

Overall, ordinary food which we are not going to miss it such that we will go back to dine again.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed 1 September 2019

Lots of foreign chinese waiting in line outside to eat . Ate year ago was good.
can get really busy at times.

1  Thank sljadvisor
Reviewed 22 August 2019

Various good reviews suggested that Gold Mine was one of the best Chinese restaurants in London. Don't be fooled - it's over-priced, lacks ambiance, and the food is disgusting.

The starter of salt and chilli spare ribs was almost inedible. Oily, barely any meat on the bone, and devoid of any flavour.

Onto the main course - the highly recommended roast duck. Fatty, swimming in grease, and with the Gold Mine's now apparent trademark lack of flavour. The steamed rice was the only edible part of the meal.

How much was I charged for this travesty? Including a small beer it was an eye-watering £35. Don't waste your money - you're better off buying a ready-meal Chinese from Sainsbury's just down the road.

3  Thank ChrisT1962
Reviewed 21 August 2019 via mobile

The service is very attentive & the food excellent. We got our meal on no time at all. If there is music it was not intrusive. Everything we ordered was superb & the price not exorbitant. This is the best Chinese meal in town, in my view.

1  Thank carlasidw