“Only go out of necessity”

City View Hotel Roman Road
Ranked #447 of 580 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2015 via mobile

Not a great place. Room is small the beds aren't comfy and overall just poor. They are trying to get as many people in as possible to maximise profit. I only went there as local hotels were unavailable. Would not recommend to anyone unless you are deeply desperate.

Stayed: May 2015
3  Thank Manlikemonz

Reviewed 11 May 2015 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel quite late at night and the whole atmosphere was quite strange. When we first entered the hotel to check in, we were greeted by a fairly nice guy, who just wanted us to pay for the room straight away which we thought was quite unusual, but when we got up the 2 flights of stairs to our room, we could see why! The first thing I noticed is that the beds (if I can call them that) where extremely low, it was like sleeping on a mattress on the floor. There was a fridge in the corner with a TV on top of it, both quite outdated, but the TV worked which was a bonus. We had been left 2 towels (it was a triple room) upon closer inspection there was a hair just sitting on top of it, I was nearly sick. The laminate flooring in the room looked like it had been layed by a 6 year old 20 years ago, there were gaps in the floor. There was mould / damp along the wall under the window, next to one of the beds which wasn't nice. We were woken up at 6:30am by the fire alarm, when we asked staff about this, his response was 'oh somebody must have been smoking in their room' there was no apology. Breakfast was included in the price, but we couldn't bring ourselves to eat it so we left early and went for breakfast in Brick Lane. During the whole stay there was a horrible stench of cannabis coming from down stairs. Overall, I can honestly say this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Avoid at all costs.

Stayed: April 2015
1  Thank _GemmaAlex_
Reviewed 9 May 2015

When I say "The Hangover" style I mean the scene when they wake-up in the hotel without remembering anything. That is how I felt, but it was just ok since we actually had a night partying and drinking and so forth. We chosed the city view hotel basically because it was cheap (85 pounds for a three bed room), it was the last available and mostly because the check-out was at 12 so we could rest a little after coming back at 5:00.
The room was very small with the bath included. Clean but not maintaned. I would not recommend for a couple, but I recommend it for a group of friends.
Did not wake up in time to try the breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2015

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. If you have a little self esteem and respect, please forget about the low price and do not book in here! The showers are absolutely filthy, the breakfast almost made me vomit after the 3rd day( I don`t think the sausage has any meat in it at all ), the room is so small and it does not even have a carpet on the floor. It looks so cheap with all the full of dust artificial flowers, and from the outside it looks like a bad horror movie. I would say more, but it brings back such awful memories that I `d rather let you read the other reviews and convince yourselves I am right ! It will ruin your entire holiday

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Veridiana T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 February 2015

Horrible horrible horrible. There was a very strong smell in the room like paint and gave me such a bad headache. The bathroom and toilet were horrific and had dirt and grim all around the sink and shower. I actually felt dirtier after the shower. I didnt stay the 2 nights as it was that bad and will never go there again

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member