“Vegan Friendly Ethiopian”
Review of Zeret Kitchen

Zeret Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Zeret Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 25,413 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Lovers of Ethiopian cuisine and adventurous foodies will appreciate this bright, clean and modern restaurant in Camberwell that prides itself on its family recipes and dedication to authentic Ethiopian traditions. Zeret itself is a name that comes from a small village in northern Ethiopia, and the menu includes mostly chicken, lamb and beef stews made with butter, garlic and ginger served on pancake-like flatbread called enjera. All the food here is delicious, and the dining room is decorated with colourful placemats, potted palms and simple white walls. Perfect for communal/sharing meals with friends and family, the Zeret Kitchen has attentive staff and a relaxed atmosphere ��� don't miss the Ethiopian style chicken cooked with green chillies, herbs and spices.
Reviewed 14 July 2015

This place is AMAZING! The staff are so lovely and welcoming, the food is so good, the Rift Valley Wine is lush and the Traditional Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony is well-worth doing. Not only is this place incredibly good value for money, they are totally happy to cater for Vegans and as Injeera is made from Teff flour, I'm pretty sure Gluten-Free would not be a problem either. I've never booked and it's never been a problem, they are open all day till about 11pm and serve food all day and night. Go to this place ASAP!

1  Thank Hannahjlees
Berhanu T, Manager at Zeret Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2015

Dear Hannahjlees,

Thank you very much indeed for the amazing review you wrote about our food and services. All the staffs here at Zeret Kitchen are delighted in receiving such a wonderful and encouraging feedback. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2015

My second time eating Ethiopian food and it was a treat. My girlfriend and I had an excellent meal. We chose almost at random because everything on the menu sounds delicious. I went for the Shuro under the House favourites choices and was very happy with everything. Every time anything came to our table, we were bathed with all kinds of delicious smells indicative of the richness of flavour. A sensory delight!!

The spiced Ethiopian tea was delicious and I particularly loved the traditional Ethiopian coffee.

I found this place online and we came from Croydon specifically to Zeret Kitchen to satisfy the craving for Ethiopian food.

The staff were superb. I will definitely come back to try other things on the menu and I would highly recommend to others.

Dear Will D

Thank you so much for the positive and encouraging feedback you gave us. We are happy to have customers who enjoy the food, the service and overall Ethiopian experience. We will always strive to make your visit to our restaurant enjoyable and memorable. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2015 via mobile

Don't be put off by the surroundings food was very good staff friendly and helpful. Food reasonably priced. Be aware no knives and forks it's fingers all the way

2  Thank Julia A

Dear Julia A,

Many thanks for the wonderful review you wrote to us regarding our food and services. It is great that you have enjoyed your experience at our restaurant. I would like to point out that traditional Ethiopian food is normally consumed by finger, and we want people to have the full Ethiopian experience possible. However, if our customers want knife and fork we are happy to provide those. As you have seen first hand Camberwell is changing rapidly and we hope it will be the most sought after area in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2015 via mobile

If you are anywhere near to Zeret Kitchen you need to give it a try. When I saw the rating on trip advisor of 35/18000+ restaurants in London I thought this is going to be expensive and not for me! How wrong. This is a small and very friendly restaurant serving the most delicious food. The waitress suggested a flat bread for a starter and then a mixed platter for the main. She told us they would gage how spicy to make the main by what we thought of the flat bread.

The whole meal was great. The main is served in a large flat bread with all the tasters in top. Chicken, lamb, vegetables.

Only down side is because you eat with your hand it takes a while for the smell of the spices to go, but I suppose you could ask for a fork.

Great value for money too. Starter, main course and a bottle of wine £40 for two and we couldn't eat it all.

Give it a try I don't think you will be disappointed.

Dear T31DNA,

Many thanks for the wonderful review you wrote to us regarding our food and services. It is great that you have enjoyed your experience at our restaurant. I would like to point out that traditional Ethiopian food is normally consumed by finger, and we want people to have the full Ethiopian experience possible. However, as you rightly pointed out, if our customers want knife and fork we are happy to provide those. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2015

I have always encountered great food and hospitality at the Zeret Kitchen.

One of the staples of Ethiopian cuisine is a large round sour-dough pancake which functions both as your plate and as your means of picking up the food. Although I find it delicious I can't say I have really mastered the eating technique, and from the Ethiopian point of view probably still eat like a toddler. However rice is also available or you can just eat the pancake with a knife and fork.

The food itself is somewhat reminiscent of rich Indian curry, but with its own very distinct flavours.

Zeret's Kitchen also serves Ethiopian beers.

1  Thank Merlin_from_London