“Fabulous first time visit”

Dishoom Covent Garden
Ranked #515 of 25,591 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$19 - US$31
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: The original Bombay cafes have almost all disappeared. Their faded elegance welcomed all: rich businessmen, sweaty taxi-wallas and courting couples. Fans turned slowly. Bentwood chairs were reflected in stained mirrors, next to sepia family portraits. Students had breakfast. Families dined. Lawyers read briefs. Writers found their characters. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost four hundred cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Now, fewer than thirty remain. Their loss is much mourned by Bombayites.
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Went for a family lunch. Restaurant has a great vibe to eat. Suggest book in advance as very busy. Service very good menu has plenty of choice especially as my wife is a vegetarian. All dishes are beautifully created and full of flavour. Probably best to choose a variety of starters and mains and mix and match. Would I visit again I think the answer is a resounding yes. Finally even though the restaurant is in the West End we did not feel we overpaid for our experience.

Date of visit: August 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (5,358)

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I took my parents here for lunch to celebrate my new job and it was an excellent choice. I made a reservation in advance so I didn't have to queue. We arrived ten minutes early and our table was ready for us, no problem.

The service was friendly and fast. There's plenty to choose from on the menu, including for vegetarians. The food came fast and it was really delicious, I could have eaten lots more but the portion size was perfect.

Nice decoration and comfortable seats.

Food and drinks were all reasonably priced too. Excellent value for money and would recommend to anyone!

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Would definitely recommend booking for lunch on their website to avoid queueing! We had a delightful lunch. Our waiter was a bit odd but super friendly and attentive. We arrived early (one hour before booked time) and still got a table 30 min in advance. The jackfruit biriyani I had was the best, it tastes and feels like meat!! So surprising and full of flavour. Desserts and cocktails were delicious! I will be back!!

Reviewed 27 August 2017

Well we missed our reservation by an hour due to a accident on the M1. However, I charmed the lady on the door with my James Bond looks and chit chat lol. She graciously seated seven of us downstairs. Four very hungry kids and even hungrier adult in me all quickly sat down. My niece and my sister were so efficient that they had already wrote down all the breakfast dishes they wanted to save time. We were given a time limit of 6 minutes to order and 30 minutes to eat and exit the table. We were hungry and lucky to get in so we ordered and food arrived relatively quickly.

Chais werent too hot when they arrived but were topped up. Coffee also wasnt hot which we found strange. The breakfast lassis were good but glases werent very big which I was expecting especially priced at £3.90.

The Kejriwals were spot one, plenty and tasty yes toast was a little tough on crust.

The Big Bombay was the most disappointing, I was expecting an avalanche of food, but minimum amount of beans, streaky bacon portion was small, sausages looked small. Beans were nice. I thought £11.50 for a breakfast would be very filling alas it wasnt so slightly disappointed.

The Sausage Naans and other dishes were very good and good value for money.

Service of staff and waiter were excellent, attentive, caring and customer focused which is why I love Dishoom so much.

£88 for breakfast for seven of us was expensive I thought hey its London and Dishoom service makes it worth it

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Be prepared to wait in line. Food is meant for sharing so order a variety. Food was very good with interesting flavors - not your standard Indian at all. Was not as impressed with the cocktails or beer selection but do go for the food. Murgh Malai and House Black Daal were the standouts from our order