“Anniversary stay”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #221 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Lovely hotel, I found all staff to be very helpful and the doormen and car valets do an excellent job - even retrieving my wife's jacket from a previously parked car in short order.

Only disappointment was the anniversary champagne and strawberries ordered as a surprise for me were not in the room as she had arranged and required her to chase them for delivery.

Breakfast is very good and the bar in the hotel does amazing cocktails.

Room Tip: 4th floor or higher
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
BothoStein1, Deputy General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Dear Simon,
Thank you so much for choosing The May Fair to celebrate your anniversary and thank you for taking the time to share with other travellers, I do hope that you will come back and stay with us again very soon.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Very disappointed with the room 241, the view we had was of air conditioning pipe and ducting which didn't set a very good tone for the stay.
This ducting was noisy all night with a deep hum and drone that kept me awake.
The actual room air con didn't work properly and only pumped out warm air which also didn't help me get any sleep.
The shower screen leaked and when leaving the shower if slipped and damaged my leg.
This was meant to be a memorable 1st wedding anniversary surprise - which we won't forget in a hurry but for all the wrong reasons!

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
3  Thank mattweeks1972
BothoStein1, Deputy General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Dear Matt Weeks,
I am so sorry that your special stay with us was such a disappointment, please do contact me to discuss this further if you wish.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I have long seen adverts for this hotel in glossy magazines and thought I would give it a try. The adverts make it look sumptuous and luxurious but I found the reality a little more ordinary. I should point out two things: (a) I did not sample any of the facilities, i.e., restaurants, bars or the spa; and (b) hotels cannot really be responsible for the conduct of other guests (although they are responsible for resolving issues caused by other guests' conduct).

My check-in was efficient but fairly business-like. This hotel does not have a grand reception. The area is small and fairly modest (not what you would expect from looking the aforementioned advert). The room was sparsely decorated but not unpleasant. The wardrobe was an open area in the bathroom, which is a little unusual.

Other guests (unaccompanied children) in a neighbouring room caused a disruptive amount of noise. I complained. I think someone from the hotel did speak to them but the respite was short lived. There are certain hotels in London that have a significant number of visitors from the Gulf during the summer. Many are still hanging around in September and many of them have no idea how to behave. Its proof, if it were needed, that money does not equal class, style, character or any other attribute you want to value in a modern man. This is one of those hotels that appears to have a number of such visitors. In my view hotels should treat all guests equally and expect all guests to behave with consideration and courtesy towards staff and other guests.

On the day I checked out the house keeping lady knocked on the door. She was charming and the only person I saw smile the whole time I was there (including other guests).

Had a bit of laugh with the chap dealing with the bag store, but I had to initiate that myself. Otherwise my departure would have been as anonymous as my arrival.

The whole experience left my underwhelmed. Perhaps I would have formed a more favourable impression had I used some of the facilities. However, the hotel I stayed in the next night only served to highlight the somewhat lacklustre nature of my experience.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul B

Dear Paul,
Thank you so much for your detailed review and I am so sorry that your stay with us was spoiled by other guests, I do hope that you will try us again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

The first thing you notice as you walk into the lobby is the overpowering scent of perfume that makes you want to gag. That includes the elevators. The rooms haven't changed since 2006.
The service is indifferent and mediocre.
Try to avoid the third floor at all costs since you will feel like you are living in a basement flat and looking at the air outlet from the hotel mechanical system 10 feet from you.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms below 4th floor
1  Thank msc66

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, if you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.