““Pleasant stay luxury surroundings.””

Washington Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #492 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2017

We were offered a free room upgrade upon arrival ! Nice touch. Our superior king room 117 had the wow factor for us! loved the hallway decor to the rooms (1st floor our floor), quite grand! Loved the ambience and decor of the restaurant and bar area ( this is one of the main reasons I wanted to stay here) ! loved the air conditioning in rooms especially on a warm night! Staff very polite and helpful. At breakfast I felt for the staff as they were rushing round trying to accommodate various requests from the guests because one member said they were 4 members short. well done to those who served us!
Liked the fact that check out time was 12 pm and not the usual 10 am that we are used to in hotels so a good 2 hours extra was good if we wanted to plan & not have to rush back to room after breakfast to pack.

On the downside, the air conditioning needs to be fixed or installed downstairs in restaurant/ bar and breakfast areas. too hot in the breakfast area! credit, there were fans in restaurant and bar area but not down the steps to breakfast. Our king size ( 2 x zip & link mattresses) was too firm for my liking, needs to be upgraded to one more comfy even though I'm used to a memory foam mattress at home. Horses for courses though. Disappointed there was no one playing the piano in the evening. I asked a waiter at Madison's bar why that was ,I was told that they have no licence . The hotel needs to get said licence and employ someone because this would add so much to the ambience. and to be honest when I saw the picture of a piano on hotel website I fully expected someone to be playing it!

That said overall we had a great stay and would stay here again!

Room Tip: to get a decent view get a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew B
AnnetteStaunton, General Manager at Washington Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Dear Matthew B,

What a wonderful review! Thank you for your kindest compliments about our hotel and in particular our team. Your evaluation is greatly appreciated and we are thrilled to read you enjoyed your time with us. We value your point about the pianist and ambience, I will certainly look into this and hope you will give us another opportunity in giving you a warm welcome back again.

Annette S

Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed 6 July 2017

that the hotel is one of the best I've stayed at in London and I am very picky with the hotels I like the service is great the food is good and the hotel is across the street from a good grocery store and a nice resident on coffee shop the breakfast in the hotel is good for and really good service I highly recommend this hotel

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear owen117

Thank you very much for your fantastic review, we are delighted to read you enjoyed all aspect of your stay with us. We are grateful for highly recommending us and I hope you will not take too long for us to give you a warm welcome back again.

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel was recommended to us by family friends who stay here whenever in London so we were expecting a great level of service and quality for the price we paid.

We were allocated a room on 6th floor (601). First impressions were the room was tired nothing special and certainly not reflective of the price. The room was 'clean' but small things like the telephone being dusty and some little attention to detail missing disappointed. One positive was the great little wifi handy that is in the room. This is yours to use for the stay and is great if you don't have wifi and want to find places etc.

We ate in the bar the first night as we had noticed online a burger and beer offer for 12 each. The standard burger price from menu was 14 without a beer so we thought we would try. It was disappointing average food (I didn't think you could mess a burger up). The chicken one was much better than the beef but the chips were frozen ones not handcut.

I had to call reception to complain about my room around 4 am as room was next to lift and noisy both inside and outside in corridor. We were moved to a 4th floor room (402) the next day around 2pm, overlooking the road. The room was much nicer and although we could hear traffic it was better than the drone of the lift all night.

Beware when booking as hotel rooms here typically don't include breakfast unless it states it explicitly. I booked via booking.com for a delux twin and found out when we arrived for breakfast it wasn't included only to be confronted by several unprofessional staff who went out their way to be unhelpful and embarrass me.

I was later told by the reception staff that on check in breakfast is offered for a reduced rate of 15pp as opposed to 22.50 on day. I wasn't offered this as I assumed (wrongly) I has booked it and the fact no one mentioned it made me think it was included. I won't make that mistake again.

Staff were really rude, not customer focused and seriously let the reputation of this hotel down. It is in a perfect location but with the park lane hotel and holiday inn closeby there are alternatives to choose from. I was let down by the whole experience but can say that after several words with the staff we were offered a complimentary breakfast.

I will never book a hotel again going on a recommendation without reading the reviews and details inside out as if I did in this case I wouldn't have chosen this hotel as it was not 4 star as I know it.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank louiseg79

Dear louiseg79,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to read you did not entirely enjoy your stay with us. Albeit, it is very rare that we receive such negative review on our dining experience. Having said this, I will certainly follow up on all your points with the relevant team to ensure standards are me at all times. I hope this will not deter you from visiting us again, as we would very much like the chance to welcome you back again in better light.

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed here on 17/06/2017
Was the hottest weekend of the year. The air on in our room was terrible. The room was so hot we couldn't sleep.reception were no help at all.
Wasn't offered kind of apology for our uncomfortable nights sleep...

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel W
AnnetteStaunton, General Manager at Washington Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

Dear Daniel W,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I was sorry to read you did not enjoy your time with us. I appreciate your point about the recent changes in the weather, albeit it is very unlikely that we would have not made the effort in ensuring you are made comfortable. Having said this, I will certainly follow up with our team to ensure standards are met at all times. I hope you will give us the opportunity in welcoming you back again in better light.

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Our family trip to London was amazing. We stayed at the Washington Mayfair. This was our first trip to London and our choice of hotel couldn't have been a better one. The staff was great, housekeeping was great. They were very accommodating with us. The central location is amazing. We were literary neighbors with the queen. We took the underground tube everywhere and it was two blocks from the hotel. This is an upscale area in London, so things were pricy, the food in the area is good but be ready to spend some good ole English pounds. Overall, we loved it. We are planning on staying there again on our next trip.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Dear Ivannia H,

It is very rewarding to receive such a wonderful review. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to read you and your family enjoyed your first trip to London and your stay with us. I am glad to read you managed to discover London at its best. Thank you again and we all look forward to giving you a warm welcome back again in the near future.