“Convenient and affordable for London standards”

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington
Ranked #551 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Spent 5 nights in mid june, the ones with the 35+ degree heat wave. We were a party of two - me and my mother, who has mobility problems and is moving with a cane. I chose this hotel because of the easy access to the underground, the relative proximity to central attractions, the favorably reviews and the price. So here are my thoughts:

Location: The hotel is located in 3min walk to Earls Court station, thus providing easy access to 2 tube lines - you are on 25-30min ride to all London main attractions. There is a bus stop too. The hotel itself is located on side street, across a private garden - ensuring good sleep. Plenty of eateries around, as well as a M&S and a Coop for more budget travels.

Room: The room we got was on second floor (third if you count the basement rooms). I was pleasantly surprised by the space it provided - for the notorious "London rooms sizes" it offered everything needed with the possibility for two people to pass each other. Twin beds, a wardrobe, a desk with chairs and a bath. Not many space for suitcases though - as we used the chair to put one of our suitcases on, the entrance door was blocked all the time.
The major downside is the lack of AC. We happened to be in London at the 35+ degrees heat wave and we sweat every degree of it. The window can be opened for only 30cm, which did not provide the fresh air that we needed. I overheard one girl to ask for a fan at hotel reception, so this may be a solution. As we are a light sleepers, we opted this option out. I did read that other people complained about it, but never thought I will be "lucky" enough to experience a heat wave in dry and sunny London. Never underestimate the unpredictibility of the weather!
The thing that annoyed me the most was the layout of the bathroom - very narrow passage to the toilet, you can not turn because of the bath. And the bath itself was very deep, so we often experienced difficulties entering and getting out after a shower.

Breakfast: We had the continental included in our room rate which proved to be enough for us. Salamis, cheese, tomatoes and cucumbers, cereals and croissants. You can upgrade to a full english for a couple of pounds, so overall no complaints here. The breakfast is served in the basement, but there is a lovely garden with a terrace where you can enjoy your morning cup of coffee.

Accessability: For people with mobility problems there might be several issues. Fistly the breakfast room - it is in a sort of a basement, so there are a couple of steep stairs you need to take to get there. In the hotel there are two lifts, although one is very small and you may find it difficult to fit 2-3 people in there. The building is old and although they made a good reconstruction to turn it into a hotel, there are a couple of places where you find small strange things. Our room was on the second floor, but we had additional 5-6 steep stairs to get to it. The personnel could have asked or proposed to change our room upon check in seeing my mother was moving with a cane and obviously experienced some difficulties moving around..

Overall: Do not get me wrong, there is no really big issue with the Best Western Burns. It delivered what has been advertised and the personnel did a lot to make us feel welcome. I am by no means a picky customer and I am well aware the majority of accommodations in London are small, old and too expensive for the quolity they are providing. It could have been a disaster . But will I stay again? Well, If the price is fair and I lack other options - yes. And if it is not in a heat wave or they put an AC. Otherwise I would think before renting it again. For the 110+ euros/night I paid I think there may be better options.

Note: On two occasions we were getting back relatively late at night (after 12 a.m. ). The personnel was either missing at the reception or did not show any interest in us. Yes, we are ladies, but we were not asked for our names nor room number. What if some criminal enters? With the recent security scares all over Europe, the hotel management should look more into the safety of its customers.

Room Tip: Do not get room 204 if you have mobiliy problems. Higher rooms supposedly to be quieter, but very ho...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Desislava Z
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Compared to my previous stays in Best Western Hotels I would judge this hotel as below average quality. It's main benefit is the location, just 5 minutes walk from the Earls Court Tube station and the Earls Court Road that has a vast array of restaurants, pubs, shops and cafes.

For a double room, my room was small. The bed was comfortable but occupied most of the floor space. I was on my own, so it wasn't a problem. But it wouldn't have been suitable for a couple. The carpet was tired and needed a deep clean. The bathroom taps only dripped water rather than a decent flow. Okay. It is an heritage building. But apartments cost £2 million in this street and I imagine they don't have plumbing issues. Bizarrely, the HD TV was unable to receive HD signals and the picture was broken up on HD channels. Again, not a huge issue. But this is the centre of what the London Mayor calls the "world's best city" (presumably he doesn't travel!) and I get a perfect HD picture back home in the backwaters of Wales.

The big issue with this hotel is the awful management. When I booked in at the reception the manager tried to fob me off with a single room even though I had booked and paid for a double occupancy/twin room several months previously so I could have a decent sized room and not something the size of the janitor's store cupboard (which is often the case with single rooms). I showed him proof in the form of the booking confirmation form and he still phoned the booking site to check. After he phoned them he totally changed his unfriendly and unprofessional attitude and "upgraded me" (to use his phrase) to a double room (see comments above about the room size). While this is not the worst hotel I have ever stayed at (I have lived and travelled throughout the developing world). It is certainly poor for a modern and competitive economy like London and I would sooner pay for a more expensive hotel that stop here again.

Room Tip: make sure your double room is not a single with a double bed
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Decent hotel for a 3star rating, didnt used the food facility but the room and bed are good. There is no AC so the room window stays open and its very hot!

Good location and good WIFI. I would return for a short stay....maybe in winter

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2017

Where do I start!!?? Booked this hotel when going to Wimbledon and the only positive I can give it was that it was handy for tube station and only a couple of stops to get to tennis. On arrival we were allocated room 50 which was on the basement floor. Door was difficult to open as it was a bit jammed so not off to best start. Room was absolutely tiny as was the long narrow horrible bathroom. Windows opened into a courtyard and looked out onto a broken window and broken glass door. We went out for drinks and dinner and got back around midnight. I realised that the windows overlooking the courtyard were kitchen Windows and there were loud voices and clattering of dishes into the early hours. On top of this water from showers and toilets on upper floors came cascading down pipes which were in close proximity to our bed. We had a couple of quiet hours but kitchen staff arrived at 5 am and there was shouting and laughter as well as the usual kitchen noises. Then there was the smell of greasy cooking coming in our Windows. It was so noisy I phoned reception and complained and told them I'd be looking for a different room for our second night. There was then an hour and a half with less noise apart from the sound of little furry creatures scurrying across the ceiling in our room. Hotel said in the morning they were having problems and pest control were trying to get it under control. Should have said there were several rat traps in the courtyard. The smell from the drains in the bathroom was disgusting. Went to reception in morning. They weren't hugely interested but gave us their Deluxe room. Infact we were told it was best room in the hotel. Must admit it was better. Hardly deluxe but better. More sort of fawlty towers. Needless to say we will never be back.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. !!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2017

Just barely a block away from Earle's Court Railway station, a short walk to the bus stop and excellent restaurants and pubs with great meals of all varieties. If you prefer, there is also a convenience store close to the Railway station and they have prepared meals ready to heat and or eat, or if you prefer you can also get fresh food. Other shops are close by and they stock almost everything you would ever need. The hotel itself does have small rooms but currently they are renovating the hotel floor by floor so in time the rooms will be much better. However, customer service is good and the hotel is very clean. Breakfast consists of self service with everything you would want. I have stayed there several times now and can recommend it for a base when you are in London.

Room Tip: the hotel looks out over a lovely park, so front rooms are the best. Very quiet street so noise is...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family