US$342
US$167
US$140
US$289
US$147
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$114
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$129/night.

US$208
US$172
Agoda.com
US$109
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
2,925 results
All reviewsbig benlondon eyewestminster bridgethe executive loungeriver viewsouth bankafternoon teatwo double bedsamazing locationtube stationconciergeelevatorplatinumscaffoldingdoormanpoundswallpaper
Reviewed 28 November 2012

If you decide to stay at the London Marriott County Hall, you better be prepared to walk. Unless you are well-heeled or on a big enough expense account to have the very attentive and professional doormen summon taxis for you, you will be getting a lot of walking done. The nearest Tube stations are Waterloo and Westminster, both several hundred yards from one of the two doors to the hotel.

But there is also the walk within the hotel to contend with. Some of the rooms seem like they are several hundred yards from the elevator (lift). It is no exaggeration to describe this hotel as "sprawling" and monumental. There is only one set of lifts and they are on the western side of the building. If you get one of the lower number rooms, as we did, you have to transverse three sides of the massive square.

But once you get to the rooms, they are very nice. I would describe them as large by London standards. Our room (309) had a king bed, which allowed for enough extra room for two easy chairs and a small table, set under a large window with an incredible view of the London Eye. The bathroom was also large and had very generous vanity space. If I had one complaint about the bathroom, it was that the side of the tub seemed higher than average, so it was difficult to step into and out of, especially when you are unsure of how slick the tile and tub might be. Large, fluffy towels were provided. The room had ample closet space. The fact that the closet was lighted was a nice touch. The room had a trouser press (I would have preferred an iron). Kettle with tea, coffee and hot chocolate were provided and and an extra touch, packets of biscuits (cookies). There was a well-stocked but expensive mini-bar (3.95 pounds for a juice). Very nice bed linens were on the bed and I applaud the hotel for providing two bathrobes and a pair of slippers. That's a very nice and welcome touch. Drawer space was a little less than I would have hoped for. We were two people, staying for 4 nights, and we easily filled the four drawers provided.

The room seemed very well soundproofed and we heard nothing from either side, above or below us. The only noise we experienced was from the hallway, particularly from the maid's room directly across the hall.

By far, one of the most appealing aspects to this hotel is the remarkable fitness center and spa on the 5th and 6th floor. If having access to a quality gym is an important part of your life, you should highly consider this hotel and you will not be disappointed. This facility compares favorably with high quality gyms in NYC, where we live, and has top-of-the-line equipment and an attentive and professional staff. The locker rooms were excellent and both the men's and women's rooms have sauna, steam room and hot tub. The facility also has a 25 meter lap pool and the water in it was a reasonable temperature for use (not too cold but also not too hot for lap swimming). They make a point to have a fair number of adult only hours so, unlike many hotel pools, it is not overrun with kids. My wife and I also found it helpful that one of us could get showered in the hotel room while the other used the fitness center to get ready. It was a time-saver for us.

We never set food into either the bar or restaurant. We were shocked by the prices of the room service breakfast (18.95 pounds for a continental breakfast? I think not). Luckily, there were a number of places to pick food up just a short distance from the hotel. There is a Starbucks just outside the back door, along with a 24-hour-a-day convenience store which is also an off-license and sells beer and wine. There are three or four restaurants out the back door, too. We ate at Cucina and it was an entirely acceptable Italian meal for a reasonable price (there is also a Greek and Asian restaurant in the same block). A block away there is a cafe with the amusing name "Enough to Feed an Elephant" that made a great egg and bacon sandwich for 2.50 pounds. (Much more reasonable than the continental breakfast at the hotel).

A couple of complaints: Did I mention the long walk inside the hotel from the room to the lifts? Also, the staff was not as forthcoming as the should have been about there being more than one entrance to the hotel. Perhaps there is something about not using the entrance through the library and into the lobby of the County Hall, but it was always unlocked and saved a lot of steps if you needed to go to Waterloo or the Jubilee Gardens area. Also, this is the first Marriott I have been in in years that didn't have a little shop to buy snacks, soda, cookies, etc. in. I missed that. The fact that this hotel charges the rates that it does and then has the audacity to charge 15 pounds per 24 hours for internet access is just beyond me. I know youth hostels and cheap hotels in London that give you wifi for free. To make matters worse, the couple of workstations in the "business center" don't have full internet access. To make matters even worse than that, the internet service stopped working in the middle of the afternoon and I had to go elsewhere to get online (I complained to both Ibahn, the service provider, and the hotel and they took the charges off my bill).

We had a terrific stay and loved the location. We enjoyed the 20 minute walk across the footbridge to the Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square area and seeing the London Eye from our hotel room was a great reminder of exactly where we were.

Room Tip: The lower the room number, the further it seems to be from the elevators (lifts) and ice machines. Room X01 - around X12 will be on the east side, overlooking Jubilee Gardens and furthest from the elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank divanoff
Reviewed 27 November 2012

From the time you drive up to the circle driveway surrounded on three sides by buildings, you'll know you're in London. The hotel is in a very old building and Marriott has taken some effort to maintain the character. The location is the best part - near to several Tube stations (Westminster and Waterloo). Walk out the door and jump on the London Eye, or walk across the bridge over the Thames and see Big Ben, Parliament, and Westminster Abby. A couple caveats - the rooms are well appointed but the beds leave a lot to be desired. The one in my room was very lumpy and not at all comfortable to sleep on. Also, if you find yourself with a room on the west side of the hotel, be prepared to have a VERY close view of the London Eye. And with that comes riders having a view into your room. The plus side of the western view is that you see all the traditional London sites. Overall, while this hotel was pricier than most, you'll find it well worth the price you save in cab fare since you can get anywhere you need on the Tube.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the Eye, but still on the west side if at all possible.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed here for a trip to the Theatre so we went in the hotel that much. We were well looked after and had a room with a wonderful view over the Thames from our Room. Dinner was good, the Room was clean and staff very helpful.

Wish we could have stayed their longer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Overall I had an amazing stay, although the rooms could do with a slight upgrade.

The staff in general over the hotel were what made my stay very satisfactory especially in the Bar area, Jamie was one of the best bar tenders I have had the pleasure to speak to, the supervisor (Nick I think) and the young lady serving us were outstandingly professional and amongst the most polite I have ever had the chance to meet, it is because of these staff members plus more that I will be returning in the new year.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This was probably my favor hotel of all I have stayed in in London. It's in an old historic building on the Thames and a short walk to either Waterloo or Westminster tube stations. If you are a Marriott Silver or Gold rewards member you also have access to the executive lounge for a rather impressive "continental" breakfast which included eggs, bacon, and assorted breads, fruit and cheese. The hotel lounge is adjacent to their restaurant, Gillray's, and has stunning views of the Thames and Big Ben and Parliament. The food in Gillray's is a bit on the expensive side (as are most hotel restaurants), but it is delicious and the service is first rate. The hotel gym is one of the most impressive gyms I've ever seen and includes a variety of exercise classes, tons of cardio equipment and free and universal weights. The pool is equally impressive and all are clean and well kept. Our room overlooked the Thames and was very good size with two queen beds. I can't say enough good things about this hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Wait until your trip gets closer and travel in the off-season. They advertise special room rates about a month or so in advance, book when you see these rates and save!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family