“Nice, not perfect”

Ranked #382 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Salzburg, Austria
“Nice, not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed for two days in the Cumberland. The room was very nice but really small for that price (been in bigger Rooms for the same or mostly less money in New York and Budapest – also in high class hotels). The Mirror in the Bath was damaged that did not leave such a good impression. Nontheless it is a really noble Place to stay and is set at a very very good location, directly in the center, near the shopping streets. The lobby is very stylish, the staff was nice, but the setting of the breakfast-room was not really nice I think (not dirty or too less space or anything-maybe just personal taste). It felt rather cold than comfortable. It’s a good hotel, but I don’t know if I would spend that much money again on it, because there are equally good (and also expensive – but with less “buts”) Hotels too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,059)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed at The Cumberland for an overnight stay. When you walk in the first sight you're greeted with is an massive modern foyer with a water feature and large sculptures, which is very impressive. Check in was very slow though, and we were told we could go straight to our room before being told a moment later that it wasn't actually ready so we would have to come back.

Because of the standard of the hotel we expected our room to be similarly spacious, but we were surprised to find that it was quite small. However the beds were exceptionally comfortable, the room was very quiet and everywhere was very clean. The location was excellent, it's literally a 2 minute walk to Marble Arch, and a 5-10 minute walk to Oxford Street which was perfect for us. I would recommend this hotel for its location alone.

We didn't have the breakfast as we felt it was slightly overpriced, and instead ate at a great place called Ed's Diner on Oxford Street, a 50s style American diner. We did go to the Gary Rhodes Patron bar in the hotel however, and the cocktails are lovely! Well worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank BlueCrocus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

The Cumberland is well located close to Marble Arch and the tube station. Our room was a good size modern room with a very comfortable queen bed, tea/coffee making facility's, fridge, iron, safe, hair dryer, air con. Unlike a lot of city hotels I have stayed in, the room was very quiet dut to the well glazed windows making for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and I wanted to see a show in London and do a bit of shopping, with that in mind we looked on the web and found this great hotel. We didn't realise quite how good a location it was until we got there but I highly recommend it. Before the show we had a short taxi ride to a restaurant and quick jump on to the theatre. If you are looking fir a similar weekend then definatley book this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
Treviso, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

When I read bout some fool adventure at the reception of this hotel I smiled, I booked anyway for its good rate and for the outstanding position. If you are arriving with RyanAir there is a bus station from Stansted right out of the hotel making it really convenient.

I stayed there last December with my wife.

The flight was late and so we arrived at 1.30 AM at the reception. The man at the desk was surprised to see us and he started to type at the computer for a ling time, I guess that if I hadn't the printed copy of my booking he would have difficulties to check us in.

After a long period he confessed that he was experiencing a IT problem that prevented him to retreive our booking, anyway after 20 minutes he gave us a room in the other building where a russian porter helped us to take our luggage.

After additional 5-10 minutes walk we finally arrived to OUR room. The russian guy opened the door, switched the light on and ..... surprise, surprise, surprise .... a guy was sleeping in the bed and he got awake looking at me ... I will never forget his face (luckily he was alone).

We got back to reception (2 AM was already passed) and the same guy at the desk didn't apologize too much, just complained with his previous collegue that he specify was chinese (by the way I also considered a lack of professionality complaining about collegues with us).

At 2.15AM we finally were assigned in a room in the main building, we were upgraded and had fre breakfast. We were on holiday so we mainly smiled at all the adventure but the incredible experience we had demonstrates the orrible organization of the hotel.

In my opinion this hotel is too big and the management is not strong enough to handle such big volume of guests.

One last comment is about breakfast: it was definitely good (especially since it was free) but the breakfast room in the basement was more similar to a college canteen without windows
than to a 4 star hotel.