“Good location, poor stay (make sure you ask for a quiet room)”

Holiday Inn Oxford Circus
Ranked #636 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed 1 night on business.

From the outside the hotel looked promising but inside it is dated (seems to be undergoing a refurb as many hallways smelt strongly of paint)

Check in set the tone - the person checking me in was constantly distracted - when another guest came down as their key card was not working despite being midway through checking me in she left me standing there as she went off to serve them! - she seemed to keep getting distracted by lots of other things and at no time did I feel I had her full attention. My colleague was being checked in (by another front desk clerk) at the same time but my check in took more than twice as long. Also despite confirming my loyalty card number she failed to enter it - I am now trying to get the pointed added retrospectively.

Location:
Good for tourists who wish to shop - located behind Debenhams, close to tube station.

Room:
I was assigned a room facing the road (my colleague was given a room towards the back & reported later her room was very quiet) As the location is set away from the main road (hotel is on a street behind Debenhams) I did not give it a second thought but would regret this later when I returned to the room to sleep.

Room was on 2nd floor
Colour palette of room was quite dark/dated decor
Cheap looking dark wood furniture (table, chair, bedside cabinet etc)
Window was single glazed and so provided no noise insulation (did not realise how bad this was till I tried to sleep - at night I could hear every car go by, peoples conversations on the street as they walked by etc) - I lost count of the number of times I woke up during the night.
Bathroom had bath & shower - No mini toiletries - just a large tube of Dove attached to the wall
Sheets - ave - low quality - added bonus was the hairs (not mine) I later discovered on one side of the bed :- (
Flatscreen TV - picture quality was so poor that on some channels it was barely watchable

My colleague had a room set back from the road - and whilst their room had a similarly dated decor, it was super quiet - so might be worth asking for a quiet room when checking in.

We had an early meeting so decided to skip breakfast so can't comment on that

Compared to the other Holiday Inn I usual stay at in London (Bloomsbury) this was quite poor, given the choice I will not return here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ljn_uk
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear ljn_uk,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Oxford Circus. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy good night sleep because of the traffic noise. Our receptionists can be very busy but we certainly can find way to improve our check-in service. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to London.

Lin S.
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Just as we expect to find at a HI....Good service...Nice room....A pity the parking is extra but at least its only a few yards down the road....We will be staying again later in the year....9/10

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miamiman
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Good location for shopping and going out, just behind Debenhams on Oxford Street. Clean hotel, looked like the room had been newly decorated and was clean and everything i needed for a one night stay. Stay pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed for five nights. Simple, clean rooms however walls are paper thin. The floor we stayed on was getting a Reno do all day there were jackhammers and similar noise as well as dirt, rubbish and lots of dust in the corridor - great for asthmatics. Breakfast was so overpriced and was generally edible with the exception of the eggs, hash browns, sausages and croissants. Waiting staff was polite. Above all, the receptionists were terrible - no customer service skills at all. Not helpful in the slightest and speak to each other and the customers with the rudest demeanor.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank fififiona
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed for one night for my birthday. When we arrived we found that we had been upgraded to a suite because of my birthday which was very nice. Large spacious room on the 6th floor. Clean, tidy, comfortable bed, no complaints. We didn't spend much time here really except to sleep. It's in a terrific location, 5 mins walk from Oxford Street. It's about halfway down Oxford Street behind Debenhams. Bond Street is the closest tube (5 mins walk). So if you are shopping or going to the theatre like we were it was spot on. There was a bar on the ground floor which was open when we returned from the theatre so we could have a nightcap. They did do breakfasts but they wanted £20 each which is just ridiculously expensive for what you get so we went out for breakfast instead. When we checked out they looked after our luggage for us so we could go shopping. I would stay again just for the position. It's a chain hotel in an ideal position and is ideal for sleeping in. If you want anything more from your hotel then look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple