“Great for families!”

YHA London St Pancras
Ranked #23 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 12 July 2017

convenience and location. the YHA is right opposite Kings Cross St Pancras station (perfect for catching the Eurostar and etc) plus its a clean and very self contained hostel. The staff were very helpful and service was excellent.

Wifi is spotty in the rooms; but 1st floor TV lounge is comfortable and relaxing. fully recommend!

Room Tip: if you are a member; you get $3 off!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Fizz F, General Manager at YHA London St Pancras, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Hey JoandraC - thanks for taking the time to review us. We're delighted to hear such super feedback, and to receive your recommendation, thanks! FYI, we only have WiFi in our public areas (i.e. 1st floor TV lounge and our café-bar area), hence spotty Wifi reception elsewhere in the hostel - great that you were able to access it (albeit intermittently) in your room though! ;) We hope to welcome you back to the hostel again soon! All the best, Fizz

Reviewed 9 July 2017

This youth hostel is located very close to King Cross station. You exit the station and cross Euston Rd heading in the direction of the British Library/Euston station. The hostel is basically across the street from the British Library(3-4 story totally brick building which you can not miss). The hostel will say YHA on along the front wall of the building on the ground floor. Again exit King Cross and cross Euston Rd and turn right. Go about 100-200 yards down and you are there.

If you come in the summer peak season you better reserve beforehand before they are usually booked out. I saw a lot of people coming by being informed they are booked. They were courteous enought to help these people find other hostels in the city that are available.

The staff at the hostel were a mixture of British and other nationals. Probably those who work to be able to stay in London for a time. Anyway they were efficient in getting me checked in.

I stayed in a dorm room with 3 or 4 double bunk bed that had at least two British style plugins beside each bed. One set for the top bunk and one set for the bottom bunk. There was also a small tray about 3 inch by 3 inch by the plugs which you could put something on. I believe there is also a light there was well but I did not use it.

There are lockers in the room. One for each bunk. The locker is big enough for a medium size bag. It look like 2 feet wide, 2.5-3 feet tall and 3 feet deep roughly. A large day pack would in it but a large backpack or large bag would be a problem. If you carry your own lock you can use it to lock the locker.

Inside the room there was a single shower, toilet, and sink. Soap in a large bottle is provided. There is also a toilet and wash basin by itself in the hallway if you need when the one in your room is in use.

The hostel has room from Floor 2 to 7. It looked there are or close to 10 rooms on each floor for at the doorms. On the 5th floor there was Rm 501-509 if I recall right. For some reason part of the floor is separated into section between the rooms. The elevator is also separated by door from each sections. The lower room numbers are to your left from the elevator and the higher to your right. A bit strange but you will figure it out.

The first floor is where storage and bar/restaurant are located. A half pint Beck beer bottle is 2.75 pounds whereas a Corrona is almost 10 pounds. They also have wine. They serve meals all day but I did not try any. I think you can look at their menu online. Breakfast starts at 0730 and I think it ends at 1100 but not sure. I did not have any because I left very early the next day.

The storage room on the 1st floor is not big but you can put your large bag here if you do not want to leave it in your room. I left mine there when I arrived. A person in the bar manages the storage room. I picked mine as late as 2200. You point out your bag and hands it to you.

When you check in they will hand you the standard hotel card and assign you a room. The person that helped told me 547 which confused me looking for my room. As I mentioned therew was only 501-509. I tapped each door until 503 opened. You pick any available bed. You will know if the bed is available if you do not see a card attached to the railing of the bed. You will be given such at reception. You attach it to your bunk and leave there even when you leave.

WIfi is free. You connect to Cloud or something like that. You have to create an account on it. It will ask some info like your name, date of birth, partial address, etc.. This is the price for the free wifi. The speed was fair but not fast.

The best thing about the hostel is its proximity to King Cross Underground/St. Pancras rail(Eurostar). A lot of Undergroun lines come through King Cross(Northern, Picadilly, and I think Victoria come through here). The bar is not bad. Museums and attractions in London are spread out over a large area.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert V
Fizz F, General Manager at YHA London St Pancras, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Hi Robert. Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed and articulate review - you share a lot of helpful information for other guests, which is a thoughtful gesture. We're happy to hear your check in was efficient! We're sorry to hear that there was a miscommunication regarding your room number, however - you're quite right that rooms go from 501 to 509 on the 5th floor, and room numbers are written on your check in sheet - so we're not sure how 547 got thrown into the mix?! We're guessing this was a case of a misheard room number, and will make sure we try to annunciate a bit more in the future ;) Thanks again for sharing comments from your recent stay, and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards, Fizz

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I booked this hostel for my friends on booking.com and later learned that they have HI member card which entitles discount of£3 off perperson each night in this YHA. On the foreign language version booking.com page I booked this hostel, I noticed small remarks, which implying that"Member discount doesn't show on the price while booking room, but is available at later settlement". To make this clear, I emailed this hostel especially asking them very clearly if my friends can enjoy the £3 off discount with YHA/HI member card in case reservation were done through booking.com. The reply I got was the definitely YES, just present your card. ( I still keep this email!)

However when my friends arrived this hostel they were refused to give HI member discount, with the reason that the reservation was not from YHA/HI website, even the above mentioned email content was presented on mobile. My friends speak very poor English, they could do nothing but accepting it. At that time it's already too late to amend all the bookings because all is full and no vacancy.

It's a loss of £84 since my friends are 7 persons and stayed totally 4 nights. The loss shouldn't have happened, if the hostel had honestly told me the true answer,instead of telling me YES, discount available just present your card, when I wrote to this hostel especially asking about YHA/HI member discount for reservations done on booking.com issue. I could have changed to book on HI website which had the same room vacancy and price as booking.com at that time, just requiring a very small sum of deposit that's all fine for us(we even do advance full payment sometimes ) .

This hostel should be responsible for our loss and should refund £84 to us. An honest hostel should not fool his customers like this, and any person in this world should be responsible for words he had said or written to others. If not, this issue can only be understood as kind of discrimination to people who are not good at English, especially people from Asian countries.

Room Tip: There are bigger rooms, even for the same room type.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Cal W, Manager at YHA London St Pancras, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

Dear QU Q,

We are very sorry about this situation. The £3 membership discount is indeedd only available when booking directly with us or through the Hostelling International website. Unfortunately it is not possible to get the membership discount when booking through booking.com.

We apologise that you were given incorrect information when you emailed us, and we will make sure this does not happen again. If you would like to contact us directly on stpancrasduty@yha.org.uk we can arrange to refund you £84 for your friends membership discounts, as per the email you received.

We hope that this situation did not affect the rest of your experience with YHA and hope that your friends had a great stay in London! If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Cal

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Excellent place, very friendly and entertaining. It is a great place to connect with the rest of London and with the mainland. Everything good that we spent in London, began upon arrival at the hostel.
It has a nice common area, well stocked for something to eat while you relax, laundry and drying in the underground. An ATM in the lobby gives you security and convenience to get cash. The comfortable, spacious room, yet on hand to charge the phone or computer in the stateroom.
I say again: Excellent choice.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with YHA (England & Wales)
Cal W, Manager at YHA London St Pancras, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Hi Fco_Valdes,

Thank you for your great review! We're really happy your stay in London began with a good experience at the hostel :)

We hope to see you again next time!

Cal

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Great place, easy access, very close to St Pancras, the Eurostar and the main tube lines. Shops and restaurants in the neighbourhood. Very nice staff, the rooms are clean and the breakfast is really good.

Stayed: May 2017
Cal W, Manager at YHA London St Pancras, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Hi Yolaine,

Thank you for your great review! We hope to see you again soon!