“Quite nice, if a bit pricey”

YHA London St Pancras
Ranked #21 of 956 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Recently stayed at Yha st pancras and quite enjoyed it. In comparison to the Yha Earls court location this one was much nicer, though earls court was cool. Anyway, had a double private room which was as nice as any hotel Ive ever been in and quite large. The bathroom was really nice as was the bed. There was no tv in the room as to be expected, though there was a tv cabinet? but the lounge room was really cozy and we watched a bit of tv with the other guests with a few pints.

I chose this location due to its proximity to Earls court rail station, as we had to make a 5am train to liverpool. This location is about a 7 min walk from earls court, which was really nice at 4am when we checked out.

Anyway, they charge you a few pounds for a luggage locker if you arrive before check in, but thats alright for the safety I guess. Right across the street from the british library too!
Ate at the yha one night and had a really good bread/cheese/hummus platter, bit pricey but good. Stay there in a double and you wont be dissapointed, really nice key cards for all the areas of the hostel too! good nights sleep.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LennonRevolver

Reviewed 23 January 2011

I booked at YHA St Pancras because it looked like a quality hostel that had just been remodeled. I will say that the location is GREAT. . . but that's about it. The hostel HAS NOT been remodeled; only the first two floors in which the lounges are located had work done. Most rooms are still circa 1980. My roommates and one of their guidebooks also thought there had been a remodel, alas no. This is only a big deal because my room had paint peeling off the bathroom walls (not just a little but the entire wall), weird holes in the ceiling, and mold. The floors were uneven and cracking. Call me a germ-a-phobe, but no soap in the bathroom for your hands? Really?

The staff is friendly but unhelpful. One of the two elevators was broken the entire time I was there - an annoyance when you are on the 6th floor. The boiler broke and we were out of warm water for a day. Gross when you spent the day running around the city and you can't shower. Their internet cards bill in increments of 10 minutes no matter if you are on the internet for 30 seconds or 9 minutes and 59 seconds. No one tells you that and your minutes are eaten up before you know what's going on. All that and they offer no discounts or incentives to make up for it.

Keep in mind that they can change your reservation whenever they want with no notice. I reserved a 4 person room online. When I got there they put me in a 6 person room. I thought I had messed up the reservation and said nothing since I didn't have internet access to check. After all the frustrations built about everything else, I borrowed my roommates computer (since my internet card minutes had been eaten up) and found that I should have had a 4 person room. I finally complained about everything to the manager who promptly told me it was my fault for not telling them earlier. I didn't expect anything huge but he did NOTHING to make up for all the problems.

I didn't expect hotel quality but I was very disappointed. Their website is intentionally misleading and I felt lied to. They intentionally keep quiet about the internet cards despite KNOWING how they eat your minutes. I would probably have been fine with all these issues if they had been honest and up front and had little concern for their customers. This is clearly a business and they don't care about honesty or customer service.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank passportgirl2011
Reviewed 23 January 2011

This was great value for london, we stayed in a private room, very close to major train station, good wifi (if you buy a drink) excellent customer service and can use lockers after checkout. Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tofutti
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We stayed there for 2 nights. The value is excellent and it's very clote to St Pancras station. Everything is OK. They have a good breakfast too if you're in a hurry.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Good, clean, modern hostel, great location, friendly staff.

We arrived early but were welcomed and allowed to store our bags and complete the check-in process anyway. Staff were friendly and helpful and there seemed to be a nice vibe around the place.

Booked into a 5 bed female dorm while my husband booked into the male dorm, as all the double rooms were booked out (apparently they go very quickly, so get in early if you want one). My bed was the only non-bunk bed in the room but didn't have its own light (the only one not to), but this wasn't the end of the world. Shower and toilet/ bathroom was in the dorm, which I liked as it was convenient and meant fewer people shared it.

Excellent value food, coffee and alcoholic drinks served until midnight in the hostel café, and breakfast was plentiful and filling. The café downstairs was great, with sockets to plug in laptops etc. I liked that we could hang around and relax in the café without feeling pressured to spend a fortune. There is no kitchen in this hostel but we knew this before we arrived and it wasn't a problem. Coffee served 24 hours in the café downstairs. We didn't use the lounge area on floor 1 as we didn't think there was much atmosphere up there, but staff were happy to deliver food up there if you ordered downstairs - a nice touch for groups or those preferring a quieter option.

All in all, I think this hostel is well worth its price as they don't try to squeeze more money out of you elsewhere. Plus, you'll save money because of its great food options and its location. I walked into Covent Garden in 15 - 20 mins, St Pancras and Kings Cross stations are just across the road and Euston Station 5 - 7 mins walk. Luggage storage also available at a reasonable price (GBP 2 - 3). For all these reasons, I give this hostel and thumbs up. Personally, I would recommend it over the YHA near Regent St/ Oxford Circus.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple