“Great location, great hotel”
Review of The Bloomsbury

The Bloomsbury
Ranked #57 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, England
“Great location, great hotel”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Location was great for this hotel, just off the main shopping road so very convenient. Staff were very good. Rooms nice.

Price for breakfast was over the top but there are a couple of cafes just a few doors down.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you for posting your review on your recent stay at the hotel. It is always lovely to hear when we meet expectations and thank you for recognising the staff and the rooms. I am sorry to hear that you found breakfast a little pricey but I would like to assure you that we constantly reviewing our prices against those in our neighbourhood to ensure that we do offer excellent value for money. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in London.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This hotel was just very bog standard really for a 4 star London hotel. Nothing terrible about it, but nothing particularly great either.

Our bathroom (room 519) needed some attention. The bathroom door would not open unless pushed hard because it became jammed against the floor. I mentioned this to Reception who said they would ask Maintenance to sort it out. Maintenance did nothing & I had no further response from Reception about this complaint. We were staying for 3 nights & having to practically charge at the bathroom door became very tedious & annoying. Had we been elderly we probably wouldn't have had the strength to even access the bathroom. The sink tap is positioned too close to the mirror which means you can't turn the hot water on properly, & the sealing strip at the bottom of the glass divide in the bath/shower kept falling off. These are small things but not acceptable.

On the positive, the room was spotlessly clean & sufficient for our needs. Also, a very big ''well done'' for the free wi-fi. I find it a real con when hotels charge for wi-fi access, so this was very welcomed - thank you.

The staff were friendly & largely efficient, but that can't include Reception or Maintenance as they didn't sort out the door problem. The doormen were particularly cheerful, friendly & efficient. The location is good as the nearest tube station is just around the corner.

I work within the travel industry & own two unrelated travel companies. I communicated with the hotel before my arrival & advised that I was looking to find a new quality 4 star London hotel to offer to my off-shore clients. My trip was personal & not for business, but at the same time whilst I was staying at The Bloomsbury I was viewing it to put future business their way. I made them aware of this but they obviously still thought it acceptable to put me in a room with a sub-standard bathroom. Needless to say, I will not be recommending this hotel to my clients & The Bloomsbury have lost out on a great deal of future bookings.

There are better 4 star London hotels out there.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Beccy G, Mangement at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you for posting such an honest review of your recent stay. Naturally I am very disappointed to read your comments and would like to say how sorry I am that neither Maintenance nor Reception took ownership of your issue and resolved it. I would however, like to thank you for being fair in your review and for recognising the friendly and efficient staff here at the hotel and in particular the doormen. I would be delighted to discuss your stay further with you and please do contact me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com.
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We recently spent three nights at the Bloomsbury Hotel and had a wonderful experience. The location is great--just up the street from the British Museum and a couple of minutes from the Tube and buses. The hotel itself is very attractive, with comfortable rooms. (I loved the radiant heat in the tile floors of the bathroom!) Only negative was the lighting in the bathroom, overhead halogen spots over the sink, that make putting on makeup difficult.
The most amazing thing here is the staff. They went far beyond efficiency, being genuinely friendly and eager to please. We really put them to the test, as it happened. A day after we moved on to a hotel in Oxford, I realized I had forgotten my pillbox with my blood pressure medication back at the Bloomsbury. I phoned in a panic, and they said they would talk to the cleaning staff. I figured that they would have thrown it away, and worried about how I could get the medicine in the UK. Then, they called back, and I was delighted to hear that the cleaners had kept it, "Just in case it was important." What are the chances? The wonderful concierge and his assistant sent it on to me by courier and I got it the next morning. They even called the following day to make sure I had gotten it. What wonderful service! I love everything about this place! We'll be back.

Room Tip: I don't mind noise, but I like to see the street. They were great about making sure I got a room...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank JMA07
Thank you for posting such a positive review. I am delighted that we were able to help with your pillpox and it is always fabulous to read when we have met and indeed exceeded guest expectations. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip and look forward to welcoming you back next time you come to London.
UK
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I was just in London for two days for a shopping and theatre visit, and stayed for one night at the Bloomsbury. It was a bit of a treat to stay centrally (normally I'd choose something perhaps in Greater London or even travel back home the same evening.)

The location of the hotel is perfect. Short stroll to theatres, restaurants, to all kinds of interesting shops along Denmark Street and Charing Cross et al. Excellent for visiting the British Museum.

I stayed in a room on the third floor and it was a very decent size. The bathroom was delightful, with black marble and large shower. Various nice bathroom toiletries and small bits you tend to forget at home (such as cotton buds!)

The bed was comfortable, with various pillows for choice. After I came back in the evening, I found my bed had been turned down and already the few items I'd used (e.g. cream in my tea) had been re-stocked. I slept well overall, although at times I found it got a little too hot in my room. Probably I could have had a look at the air con and turned it up, but it wasn't as bad for me to do that, and I soon fell into a peaceful sleep.

I didn't have dinner at the hotel, but breakfast the next morning. I chose Continental, and it was a buffet with similar choices as I'd seen in other hotels. The coffee was very good, as were the range of juices and marmalade/jams available.

Overall it was a nice (if short) stay and I would choose this hotel again in future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank V M
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for writing such a thorough review of the hotel and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was great to hear that you found the location to be so perfect and the room to meet your every need. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are London.
Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed at the hotel several times in the last year (2011) for business.
Rooms are great, service is excellent and the location is unbeatable - on SOHO and Covent Garden, and within walking distance from everywhere else (unless you prefer the tube of course).
Only issue is that pricing can vary a lot (which is also true for other hotels in London) - I have paid anything from 180 pounds to 280 pounds (occasionally prices went even higher, but that's where i drew the line). Trick is to book at least 2-3 weeks in advance (which is doable if you can plan ahead, unlike my situation in some cases), and of course depends on the season

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for posting such a positive review of the hotel and we are delighted that you enjoyed staying with us in 2011. Thank you also for praising the service and rooms alongside the location - it is always great to hear! As you can appreciate London hotels now use the airline booking model and indeed alongside the early booking promotions we also run special packages to ensure that we always remaining very competitive in the area. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in London.