“Old fashioned elegance in Knightsbridge”

Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms
Ranked #667 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Long Island
“Old fashioned elegance in Knightsbridge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed in a room with a canopy bed overlooking Pavilion Road. Our king size bed was very comfortable and the furnishings were elegant. We were surprised at how quiet the hotel was considering that it is in the center of Knightsbridge, not far from Sloane Street and Harrods. The hotel does not have a restaurant and so breakfast was delivered on a tray every morning; the croissants were delicious. Weather permitting, you can eat breakfast on the roof terrace.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Llama11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

This is truly a hidden gem..
From the moment we arrived we were greeted with warmth and were made to feel at home right away. Outstanding customer service!
This small boutique hotel is immaculately presented, Molton Brown treats supplied, huge bathroom, quiet rooms, vast breakfast selection delievered to our room piping hot with sunday newspapers, excellent location, cozy roof top garden, value for money and bascially a brilliant find.
Highly recommend!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveller0771
Meath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

I am a regular traveller to London on business but on my future leisure trips this will be where I reside, location fantastic, staff - so helpful (we were offered tea on arrival and my better half was sick on the last morning and we had no problem getting an extended checkout despite the fact that the hotel was operating at full capacity) rooms - small but for short stays not a problem. Breaksfast delivered to your room a very nice treat. Overall it is a different experience, may not be to everyones taste, but I loved it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
up north
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2009

Recently stayed one night here. Great location very close to knightsbridge tube and shops. Down a back street which could put off solo female travellers. Booked 2 single rooms. Greeted by Neringa the hotel manager who is charming and helpful. However the room I was checked into - room 4- was dismal,depressing and in a bad state of repair. This I could overlook as hotels need huge investment - I should know I used to work for a large group, but it was the state of the bed which prompted me to ask to change rooms. The sheets were clean but the divan base was not fully covered and exposed in all its unsavoury glory with its stuffing hanging out and its valance in shreds and cobbled together with safety pins! It looked as if it belonged in a slum and I could not sleep a night in it, it made me itch just looking at it. I was quite upset at the thought that the hotel felt that this was acceptable to offer this room to paying guests. I was offered a double room at the double room price but I stood my ground and the price was dropped by £10! Taking the manager to see exactly what I was aggrieved at I insisted that I was not sleeping in room 4! Neringa was very professional tried to calm me as I was getting quite upset took me to see the other room and settled me in with a glass of white wine and the promise that I would pay only the single rate. Room 8 was as different again, it had a magnificent kingsize bed a very nice bathroom and was pleasantly decorated. I had a very comfortable nights sleep! My friend was in room 14 and although better than room 4 it smelled of damp and the shower looked very unfriendly. The problem is definitely down to lack of investment and even the room I eventually stayed in needed its paintwork redone in particular skirtings and window frame. However the breakfast served in our rooms was excellent and the little touches such as bathrobes and Molton Brown toiletries was lovely. This could be a little gem if the promised refurbishment goes ahead next year but at the moment there is no excuse for not having ordered a new bed for room 4 long long ago!! Would only recommend some of double rooms. ( top floor ok)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank dakUpNorth
SRGR, Roof Garden Rooms Manager at Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms, responded to this review, 17 March 2010
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review and also please accept my deepest apologies for my belated reply. I am very sorry that you and your friend were disappointed during your stay with us back in November 2009. Please kindly note we have seriously considered all your comments addressed in the article. Therefore now I am coming back to you with some very good news. We have just completed the refurbishment project two weeks ago. This comprised of redecorating and re - wallpapering our bedrooms, installing new bathroom floorings and carpets, including the public space corridors and the staircases. We have kept the same cosy country style atmosphere, however now upgraded with new super king size beds in the double rooms, new beddings, curtains, valances and 26 inch Plasma TVs with a wide option of channels.
My team and I would very much like to thank you for your custom and comments, which are much appreciated. We are all very excited to present the new appearance of our bedrooms here and therefore I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us when you are next time in London.

Best Regards,
Neringa Zutautaite
Roof Garden Bedrooms Manager
Wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2009

I have just returned from a one night stay at Searcy's with a friend. We both had booked a single en suite bedroom.

We were greeted extremely well by Neringa. We left our bags for our return and check in later. Neringa met us once again on our return and told us we had been allocated rooms 4 and 14. My friend took 4 on the 2nd floor and I went up to 14 on the 3rd floor. Whilst I accepted the room it did smell of damp, and there was a general air of neglect in the room. It had a large single bed (the headboard was just standing on the floor and not attached to the bed) with a small single duvet and small pillows. There was a toilet in a little 'room' and opposite in another little 'room' was a large shower. The tiles were clean but the outside of the shower at the bottom was quite corroded. The window frame in the bedroom looked as if it had not been painted in years. I did not wish to walk on the carpet with bare feet. It did have an LCD TV. The walls between the rooms are thin. My friend came up and told me that there was no way she could stay in Room 4 due to the state of the bed etc. She will be writing a separate report.

We went out for a meal and returned to go to bed. I found the bed quite hard but fairly comfortable and the duvet very light but warm.

Breakfast came as specified at 7.30 and was delicious and very much appreciated, as were the Molton Brown toiletries.

What I cannot understand is that if you read all the reviews back to 2006, the General Manager (Dmitrios) says in several letters in reply to criticisms, that new furniture for every room had been ordered and LCD TVs and Satellite TV were planned for January/February 2007!! In July 2007 a letter from Dimitrios says that he has ordered new furniture for all rooms. He also says in that letter than a painting programme was planned in August and new flat screenTV's in all rooms in September 2007 In October after a complaint about the tired bedrooms Dimitrios says that the room must have been one of the ones not re-furbished but they would all be done over Christmas period. In January 2008 someone complained about Room 15 (amongst other things a large crack in the wash basin). Again Dimitrios did a wonderful reply saying what had been done to the room since the complaint. In February 2009 there was another complaint about the crack across the wash basin in Room 15!!!!!!!!!!

Having read all the reviews and Dimitrios's wonderful replies promising to refurbish, etc. my friend and I had high hopes for this property. It would seem to me that there are some rooms which are refurbished and very acceptable (my friend managed to change her room to one on the 4th floor which was good), but I have to say I was disappointed.

My friend's problem with her room was sorted satisfactorily and we cannot praise the Hotel Manager, Neringa, more highly for her professional attitude and feel sorry that she probably has to put up with numerous complaints.

The location is absolutely superb and is probably very good value for money if there was more attention to sprucing up the rooms - the quirkiness of the rooms and size would then not be a problem.

Will we stay there again? - we would like to once it has been properly renovated - there is no excuse for chipped paintwork, headboards which just stand on the floor, duvets which do not cover the bed, small pillows, etc. There is also no excuse for dirty net curtains. The General Manager says in one letter he sent them to be cleaned - all they need is a quick wash in warm soapy water and would be dry in a couple of hours!!

I have said I would not recommend this hotel to a friend at present but if attention is given to renovation I definitely would.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends