“Not good value for money”

and 1 more site!
Astor Victoria Hostel
Ranked #57 of 956 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Pros:
- Free towels (this should be a standard in all accommodation but sadly doesn't seem to be sometimes)
- Free padlocks (£5 deposit charged returned when lock is given back) - especially good for valuables where you can put in lockers in reception monitored by CCTV for extra security
- Free luggage storage
- £1 breakfast. The quality was terrible but it goes to charity and it's £1 so you can't complain!
- Free map given at checkout
- Staff seem knowledgable at reception

Cons:
- Rooms are tiny. I know these are dorm rooms and it's London but the management is clearly trying to get as much money as possible. There was a shower in my (all female 6 bed dorm) which sounds excellent but it was literally just a shower box - no changing space for privacy. Because of this, no-one really used it and I could image the annoyance if a guest decided to have a shower in the middle of the night.
- There are only 4 plug sockets for a 6 bed room.
- Wifi is free but terrible. I get better wifi in a rural village. For a central London hostel this isn't good enough.
- If you are sensitive to smells, do not stay here. There are air fresheners in every room which pump and spray out strong fake smelling flowery smells. With the window open in the room it's ok, but otherwise it would have given me a headache. I see why some hostels/hotels put these in toilets but I do not think it necessary in a dorm room - it was too overpowering.
- Toilets are not regularly cleaned. I know this because they are supposed to be cleaned at regular intervals (I think it's something like 8am, 10am, 2pm and 5pm or something). This is clearly untrue because one toilet had no toilet paper at around 4pm, and at 11am the next day there was still no toilet paper! (This is not to say the toilets are incredibly unclean, but clearly the service is not what they are claiming it to be.)
- There wouldn't be room for large luggage. There are metal trays under the beds for luggage storage (which are lockable if you have a padlock) but the noise they make when you pull them out is incredibly annoying if someone does this in the middle of the night!
- General noisiness: people luckily were respectful when I stayed but the doors slam and you can hear the metal trays moving in and out in other rooms so I can imagine if there was a noisy bunch of people it would be hell.
- Beds are ok but not that comfortable. The metal bunks are clearly quite cheap so they move around a lot when you move and because they're metal, they can be quite noisy. Not as sturdy as wooden bunks and it seemed to me they were pretty narrow. I didn't sleep well the two nights I was there (and have slept excellently in hostels elsewhere).
- There are no lifts - lots of hostels are like this to be fair but if your luggage is heavy something to bear in mind.

The management clearly care about making as much money as possible with their tiny rooms and just because it's a hostel and 'cheaper' this doesn't make it ok. Things such as the four plug socket in a 6 bed room - how quick and easy (and cheap!) would it have been to buy one with six plugs instead? Otherwise not everyone has a socket which is unfair. The breakfast is £1 and for charity but the quality is poor - again it wouldn't cost them much to get slightly better ingredients, and then even charge £1.50 or £2! (The money goes to charity but lots of hostels offer a free bread/butter/jam breakfast which is substantially better than this.) It would be ok for a short stay perhaps - I did 2 nights but honestly anything more would not have been worth it.

To conclude: it's probably not worth the money. I appreciate London is expensive but I'm sure you could find a good deal on airbnb (even if you weren't staying as centrally but to be honest there's not loads to do in Pimlico!).

Room Tip: If you have heavy luggage there are no lifts so maybe request a lower floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
AstorMark, Manager at Astor Victoria Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thank you for taking some time out to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed our amazing location and free security features throughout the hostel. At Astor hostels, we prioritise our guest's experience over profits in a number of ways. Everything we can provide for free is given to our guests at no extra cost - Padlocks, Adaptors, Lockers, Maps, Luggage Storage, Wifi, Computers, etc. For extra facilities which we have to charge for use, we charge as cheaply as possible, for example, to use our washing machines it cost £3 for a wash at the cleaners down the road it costs £6.50.
We have deals with 12 local restaurants and although traditionally hostels recommend restaurants in return for cash (from the restaurant) we pass this on as a discount on to our guests, usually offering them 20% at these eateries; as with our ticket sales for theatre tickets, instead of receiving a kickback for recommending our handpicked ticket agent they provide our guests with 15-25% off depending on the show in order to save our guests money.
Thank you for your feedback on our breakfast, as you saw we offer bread with a broad range of jams, chocolate spreads of various varieties, biscuits, fruit cocktail, several kinds of cereal, juices, milk, teas, coffee for £1. This pound goes entirely 100% to charity, we are very proud to have raised over £100k in three years!

We are incredibly sorry for there was no toilet paper in your bathroom. That is completely unacceptable, I have looked into the matter and addressed the cleaners responsible at the time of your stay. It was a new member of staff who was unaware of that toilet being there and it has been rectified. We take great pride in our cleanliness and on behalf of the whole crew we are very sorry that happened.

Our metal bunks are specially imported for their sturdiness and have checked your room and there was one that appeared to be a bit loose, but have tightened it back together, for your next visit if there are any issues with your room or in the hostel come and let us know at reception and we are always happy to fix them immediately. I will look into the security cages under your bed to see if any need oiling to reduce the noise they make.

As for sockets, we are currently building some units which will give your beds a bit more privacy and will have a light and charger for you to use on each bed.
We hope you had an amazing time in this incredible city and that you have a great time in where ever you end up next. Lots of love the Astor Family.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Nice place with friendly staff and let us drop off our cases on the morning and pick them up in the evening on the last day to save carrying them around. Ensuite we paid extra for due to my traveling companion having a tiny bladder was out of order and we weren't informed till we pointed it out on check in. Good beds and clean communal area. Decent facilities if the rooms were a little short on a mirror.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Hey thank you for your review! Our luggage room and facilities are always there to make your visit as cheap, enjoyable and easy as possible! We are incredibly sorry we could not provide the ensuite during your stay there was a problem with the basin and we do not want to give our guests a substandard product, we hope that one of the many relief toilets in the hostel made this better for you. I will look into putting a mirror into your room as soon as possible! We hope to see you again soon in beautiful London! Lots of love the Astor Family.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hostel for 8 days. It's a great price comparative to London. Location is a 5 minute walk to 2 different public transportation hubs, which was great. Internet is really fast and works everywhere. Coffee and tea is available all day. Breakfast is a $1 charity contribution for a decent selection of bread and cereals. Locks and chargers are available for $5 deposit. There are daily events like taco dinner and movie night.

Now for the bad stuff. The hostel is not cozy, nor friendly. Some staff members are downright mean (what did I do wrong??). Thankfully they keep the kitchen very clean, but is it necessary to vacuum at 7:30pm when everyone is eating and cooking?

The bathrooms were neglected. Toilet paper was often out and one of the toilets regularly plugged. The toilets and showers are tiny. We had a running joke in the dorm that you couldn't button your trousers back up because it was so small. The showers have good hot water but again they are so tiny...

My biggest complaint is the refrigerator that's not actually a refrigerator but a freezer. I don't mean a colder than usual fridge. I mean a "frozen wine, frozen yogurt, frozen spinach, so much for cooking let's just throw everything out" freezer. When I mentioned it to the staff they said the fridge has always been like that. Then put up a sign!!! I was also told "frozen yogurt isn't the worst thing to have." It's not ice cream, it's a giant frozen block of yogurt-ice! I was very frustrated by the situation.

Another thing I didn't appreciate was having my full name attached to my bed. When I got to the room someone asked where I was from based on my surname. I'm sorry but I do not want my full name available for everyone to see. That's creepy!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We are very happy you enjoyed our incredible location and our large selection of facilities to help you save money along the way. We constantly upgrade our routers in order to provide the fastest possible wifi.
We work really hard to ensure all of our guests leave feeling they are part of our family, we are very sorry if you had a negative experience with one of our staff members I will look into the matter for you. As with the fridges, all of our fridges are temperature checked daily to ensure they are between 0 and 3 degrees I will personally look into any possibility of food freezing in our fridges. We hope you change your mind and give us a chance as we want every guest that passes our doors to stay with us again and have a great time. Lots of love, the Astor Family.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Very noisy, I mean every hostel is, but this in particular. If you have a room in the basement, close to the kitchen, you will hear very loud music, mainly techno/dj, which it's not like everyone likes that sort of music... Staff is nice but they look like the haven't slept in ages. Not the cleanest place I ever been, but which hostel is? Toilets and showers are working but very tiny.

Free tea, coffee, juice, bread and biscuits always available in the kitchen. Which is pretty cool. Free padlock.

£5 deposit for you e-key.

Quite pricy to be an hostel (£23 a night), but it's London.

Good location very close to Victoria station, about 15 minutes walking

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
AstorMark, Manager at Astor Victoria Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Hey, thanks for taking some time out to write us a review. We are very happy you enjoyed all of our amazing facilities we try and provide everything someone visiting could possibly need and more! We are sorry if there was any noise during your stay, we try and keep the party and sleeping away from each other. It is possible that someone had left one of the noise control doors open which would have allowed the sound to come through to your room. For your next stay please do not hesitate to come to reception and let us know and we will sort it out for you immediately. We hope you are having an amazing time wherever you may be. The fam at Astor.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

That was my Second time at Victoria's and definitely, it won't be the last one! Amazing location, very close to the centre and many amenities, it has one of the best 'all you can eat' English breakfast I've ever had.
There's something in the atmosphere which attract you to come back: Staff very helpful, friendly and professional, especially Gloria, Sam and the manager, Eric. They made me feel very welcome and they went beyond their duties to satisfied my needs.
Well-done, team and I'll see you soon!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Thank Victoria E. F
AstorMark, Manager at Astor Victoria Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Hey, thank you for your awesome review! We are very happy you enjoyed our amazing little hostel! We take great pride in not only providing you with a nice and clean place to sleep but an amazing atmosphere too so you feel at home! Hope to see you again soon in beautiful London, lots of love the Astor Family!