“Sadly, disappointed”

Grange Fitzrovia Hotel
Ranked #542 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 October 2017

This is my first review that isn't particularly encouraging of a hotel, and it brings me no pleasure to do this.
My husband and I stayed at the Grange Fitzrovia this month because my husband was in London for a course. We didn't particularly choose the hotel, it was organised through his work. I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews but it seems to have four stars and the website looked nice so I was hoping they were wrong. Sadly they weren't.

I'll give you the good points first:
- The location is brilliant, so close to central London and we walked everywhere, to Regent Street, Oxford Street, Leicester Square, London Zoo, a West End show, BBC Broadcasting House - it was all within 5-25min walks. There's a Sainsburys right outside too.
- The restaurant staff were friendly and seemed to be trying their best to serve people.
- There is a kettle in the room and a good supply of tea and coffee and some biscuits.
- The TV worked well and had a good selection of channels.
- Check-in and check-out were very quick. Not the most friendly, but we weren't kept waiting at all.
- There is 24 hour room service. No minibar in the room though.

The other side of the coin:
- The rooms and hotel in general are very hot (and we weren't there in a heat wave). On the first night we had two windows fully open and a fan on all night even though it was raining. As the room was small any heat from a shower also filled the bedroom.
- The hotel is in general disrepair. The bathroom is just worn and old, the carpets are stained and the rooms are dated (see photos).
- The cooked breakfast wasn't the quality I'd expect considering it's a fairly standard offering. The scrambled egg was overdone, the hash browns cooked more on the outside than inside, the beans were stodgy, the croissants not that pleasant. The apple juice tastes watered down and the tea was pre-made and in a jug and was too weak for my taste. The toaster gave you overdone crusts and soft bread in the middle. The jam selection was good though.
- The bed wasn't that comfortable, again probably just a bit of an old mattress and on first arrival it wasn't made very nicely (see photo).
- The staff either didn't quite understand me because of a language barrier on their side (not many were English staff), or they were just a bit unfriendly. For example, I raised the situation of the hot room with reception, they offered me another fan but there was no where in the room I could put it and the first one covered the whole room anyway because of the size of the room. A man came up to check the extractor in the bathroom (which wasn't working) but other than that I was told he didn't think it was warm. We're quite cold people but it was far too hot for even us. They did come to mend the extractor but it made no difference when we showered. The maids knocked on my door when I returned in at 2pm (even though I'd put the Do Not Disturb on). They told me they needed to clean the room, I said I'd just got back and would be here a couple of hours, they weren't happy, so I suggested I wait downstairs or they came to do it while I waited but they weren't happy with that either. In the end they said they'd come back. I was very friendly and understood their need to clean the room, so there was no need for them to get funny with me. I didn't know what to do. I had left the 'make up my room' sign on the door since 9am in case they wanted to do it then. I just felt bad after that.

All in all, I think I would try the Holiday Inn which is almost next door if I wanted to be in that area again. Reception notices indicated that it would be £270 a night to stay there. I think the main reason we were so disappointed was because they were charging such a price for a room like that. Travelodges and Premier Inn's are more basic but far more enjoyable and cleaner, with better breakfasts. Strangely, for such a large hotel, breakfast at 8:30am ish was empty every morning, with only us and maybe one other table being used. Again, the room was very warm and the other busy table requested windows open.

This hotel feels tired and unkempt. I don't mind a small room, or a basic set up, or even basic food, it's London, so it's going to be pricey. However, I do expect things to be clean or the food to be well prepared, even I could present beans that don't look stodgy.

I understand it must cost millions to refurbish these places but you can't charge that amount of money and put people in rooms like these, or serve food like that at that price - or maybe you can?

Room Tip: We were told that rooms on the Bolsover Street (where we were) were the warmest
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire S
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Fitzrovia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you for your mixed review. We apologise that your expectations were not safisfied on this occasion. We have taken your points on board.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Tired venue with worn carpets leading to the restaurant possibly more 3 star than it's own 4 star rating.

The food itself was actually fine - fresh, well presented and delicious. I'd recommend the mushroom and goats cheese tart with caramelised onion (no actual tart though) and the grilled salmon and veg... the waitress service was unfortunately very poor but not through want of trying... the restaurant staff did their best but seemed to lack experience and were slow in taking orders and bringing drinks which was inexcusable given we were the only diners. The chef and manager came out to check the meal was all to our satisfaction which was a nice touch...

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank ElizabthL
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Fitzrovia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

We are pleased that you enjoyed your lunch however your comments are noted.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Quiet location yet only short walk to Oxford Street shops and close to tube stations. Good breakfast, pleasant staff, room clean but on small side if it should be for 2 people. Good shower over bath, but struggled a little getting in and out due to height of the bath. Weather was hot but air conditioning worked a treat. Full range of toiletries supplied. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Pauline S

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found it of good value. We hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Very disappointing, upon arrival we were met with an odd smell in the lobby. Checking in was slow even though there was no queue and 4 reception staff on shift. The reception supervisor (Bettina) attended to our check in, no customer service skills what so ever, she seemed to be in a mood and stressed and had the attitude of not wanting to be there. Check in took around 10-15 minutes for a prepaid room. Was glad to be out of her presence.

Headed to the room, cute room, on the second floor. Sizeable lift, entering the room on first glance it was nicely presented, good selection of tea and coffee, also had an iron and ironing board. However this is where the pleasantries stopped. The bed sheets were dirty, there was hair all over the bathroom and bed (I'm bald so know it's not mine) room temperature was quite warm even with the window fully open and a fan provided in the wardrobe.

Bed itself was comfortable and enough pillows for a comfy night aside from the temperature of the room. WiFi was included also.

Did not use the restaurant so could not comment of the food or drink.

Good location for shops, tubes, and local transport however everything seem to be a let down.

Personally wouldn't stay here again for the price of the room to the service we got was far below what I would expect. Very disappointed.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael K
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Fitzrovia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

I am so sorry to learn of your disappointment. Please accept my apologies. Your comments have been noted and are being investigated by the relevant personnel.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Really impressed with this place and excellent value for what we paid.

Got it via a secret hotels on lastminute.com and upon arriving was given a pretty small, hot and stuffy room, next to the lifts. Asked the question if we could be moved and the reception staff were polite and excellent, moving us (and upgrading us in the process) to a much larger, really quiet room on the ground floor with air con. Staff were really pleasant and helpful at all times.

Would come back for sure based on service and while I'm not sure I'd be as positive had we had to keep the original room, everything worked out perfectly due to the great service from the team. Fair play and thank you.

Stayed: September 2017
2  Thank ChrisTruman

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the service so good. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.