“Good food, unreliable service”
Review of Chilli Cool

Chilli Cool
Ranked #7,953 of 24,672 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Really enjoyed the food. Good Sichuan menu with plenty of choices for the more adventurous. The space is no more than functional and the service can be unreliable. If you want to grab a quick bite to eat its a perfect hotspot.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food is delicious and it feels very authentic. I always look forward to my meals here. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves spicy food.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went to this place for a dinner date. Afterwards, I feel so ashamed of my decision for choosing this restaurant. The waitress that served us is friendly and hospital. However, this is quickly eclipsed by how horrible the food is. We ordered thress dishes consisting of mapo tofu, chilli beef and stir fried french beans. The mapo tofu is atrocious. The level of salt is off the chart and the blend of spices that makes up this dish is monotonous (how is this even possible in a Szechuan dish!). The beef in chilli beef dish tastes artificial, fake and plastic. I dont know what kind of bad quality beef it is or if it is beef at all. The stir fried french bean is mediocre (which is a major relief, considering how bad the other dishes were. I will definitely not visit this restaurant ever again.

1  Thank SF Z
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

I have not tried the other dishes, so I can not judge. But if you want to have hotpot, do NOT go there!

Let me start with the dipping sauces. The selection of dipping sauces is very few and do not look fresh. The sesame oil and sesame sauce do not smell or taste like sesame at all. The other sauces also tasted a bit weird.

The hotpot base does not taste good either. They did not even bother to put any Sichuan pepper in the spicy base.

When we got the bill, it was a handwritten bill, and the price was higher than on the website. The explanation was that the website was not updated.... Then they demand us to pay by cash. I mean the whole thing is just so fishy. To help them to do things in a bit more legal way, we asked for a proper receipt. They even said we need to pay one more pound for the real receipt. Of course we refused. To the end, we got a handwritten "real" receipt on a piece of paper with the amount we paid.

I give them one point because the waitress is nice. She even walked me half way to the nearest ATM machine.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

Tasty food, complex Sichuan cuisine, friendly service, low prices. The atmosphere is more like a canteen than a restaurant, and the clientele is probably 80% students, so there is a nonzero risk of the ambience being even louder than the average London restaurant. They have recently added a new annex for hot pot orders only.