“Filet + Béarnaise...”
Review of Meat People

Meat People
Ranked #434 of 23,994 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Neighborhood restaurant specializing in quality meats next to Islington Green. Offering a lunch menu between 12-4pm Monday to Friday and Brunch from 10am to 4pm to Saturday & Sunday. We also serve a wide selection of great wines, signature and classic cocktails and hand-made cakes . Come with your partner, friends or business colleagues to enjoy a wonderful experience with us.
Reviewed 2 February 2016

Meat People is my gf little secret restaurant, one of those that you keep to yourself and only bring dearest people for a cozy Friday night dinner with great soul music and romantic dim lights.... It is hard to translate into word how amazing my steak was... so I will not try, you just have to trust me on that one... Filet + Bearnaise.... And the atmosphere...
Enjoy!

2  Thank Axel B

Reviewed 2 February 2016

This is a nice restaurant with good food and very friendly staff. It was very good overall, however it didn't quite match the cost.

To start I had Octopus; it looked good, was tasty and the portion size was right. The paprika was perhaps over zealous as there wasn't a strong taste of Octopus but it was good none the less.

For main I had the Ox cheeks which were great. Really tender as you'd expect and nicely flavoured. Dessert was great too.

We had chips on the side with our mains and the waiter asked whether we wanted ketchup, or white or brown mayonnaise. I was intrigued to find out what brown mayonnaise was, but it turned out he meant (and served) mustard with our chips. The miss-speak i understand, but serving mustard with chips seems odd to me!

By the time we got to the main course we still had wine glasses on the (small) table, as well as empty water glasses. A small thing, but we'd been served several times so it made me think the waiting staff training could have been a bit better to ensure these things weren't missed. If it was a cheaper restaurant then I wouldn't mention it, but at £60 a head I expect these things to be spotted. Besides that, there was a clear reason for putting tumblers on the table in the first place.

The final part really did annoy me. The bill had service included which is great; but then the card machine asked 'would you like to add service'. I can't imagine a restaurant of this calibre missed a detail like that. It rather turned my mood against the place at the end of what was a very good meal.

2  Thank Peter N
Reviewed 1 February 2016

The menu changes weekly due to the freshly sourced ingredients, but we had the scallops and the pork belly to start. The scallops were melt-in-the-mouth delicious, and the pork belly was packed with interesting flavours, from the crisped up fat to the sliced fennel. I'd happily eat both of these again and highly recommend them!

Next we shared the 800g "flat cut sharer" steak between two of us, which was really more meat than we needed! We ordered medium rare and most of it was much closer to rare, but this suited us as well. Really well flavoured meat, and the cut was incredibly juicy. This came with a light fresh salsa on the top, and we ordered mixed mushrooms and hand cut chips on the side, which I mostly had to sacrifice eating to maximise how much steak I could eat!

We finished up with a shared chocolate fondant dessert which came with salted caramel ice cream and white chocolate sauce. I thought I was full before this arrived, but it was somehow so light while still being indulgently rich with warm chocolate filling oozing out that I had absolutely no problem polishing off my half, and wishing I'd had a whole one to myself!

We both had an espresso martini to start which were good (and I may have to return to try some of the other cocktails from the menu), and then a quite drinkable 2013 Malbec to accompany the meal.

We arrived early for our table but the restaurant was happy to accommodate us, despite it being a busy Friday night. Despite two of the plates we were brought being dirty and needing to be sent back for a clean replacement, the service was otherwise very good. Happy to have eaten at Meat People to celebrate our anniversary!

2  Thank Emmavescence

Hi there,

I've been coming here for years (though haven't been in over 1 year), and always appreciated the food with the ambience and relatively fair price.

My experience this time was different. The table was terrible for an establishment as this one (squeezed in the corner by the till & storage leading to the entrance of the kitchen). The staff were not knowledgeable of the menu and weren't well trained (while friendly, they were worlds apart from the regular staff i was used to from when i was there a year ago). I.e. we asked if any other rum menus were served aside from the 1 on the menu, after she had to check with the bar tender, we were outright told no (at least she could have offered a simple rum & juice or answered with some more care).

The price, £100, for 2 steaks, 3 sides, 1 desert and 2 drinks seemed a little over the top for the overall experience.

While i will likely come again, I hope that won't be my last time incase my experience will be similar.

2  Thank zenit1
Reviewed 1 February 2016

Nice little place - couple of minutes walk from Angel.
We ate late (10:00) and service was good, the Ox cheeks and the fish and both were both great.

1  Thank zootalures