All reviews borough tube station cozy hostel free breakfast other guests within walking distance plug
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

This is located opposite Borough tube station, so well located. It is above a large and noisy pub and traffic roars past between 7am until midnght. Reception is on the basement down steep stairs. The whole place is like a revisit to the 1970's and could do with a thorough repaint. Breakfast is cereals, toast (only two toasters) and fruit juice and eaten in the bar on the ground floor. My bed was comfortable, but there is only one shower room on the second floor where there are four dorms ...so it is not enough. The rooms are regularly cleaned, but it still needs a huge makeover.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2018

This place in London is one of my favorites that made my stay beautiful. They offer quite reasonable prices for budget travelers. Rooms are big and beds are comfortable. Showers are good. Breakfast is included in the price of the bed. Staff is very helpful and friendly. There are many local shops and fast food points near the hostel. The Underground station is 2 mins walk far. It has pub at the first floor that gets crowded in evenings and you can experience real British hangout with locals and tourists. They have quite good beer and prices are OK. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2018

Cons

-no wifi starting from the second floor up) not even in the rooms in the 1st floor) which is painful, I had to stand in the corridor or forcing myself downstairs to an uncomfortable room named living room, or even totally downstairs to the bar to get a decent connection
-‎everything makes squeaky sound ( stairs,doors, floors) like everything
-‎breakfast is as mentioned, continental
-‎location is good
-‎no light for each individual bed, which makes a problem for people coming in while you sleep
-‎paying for a personal locker??? Are you kidding me?? Yes as u read it, you have to pay to use a personal locker with an old fashioned real key ( in Germany its for free and with a magnetic coded key) u also pay 5 poubd if u lost the key, and for the locker its half pound for the small one or one pound for the big one
-‎beds are normal ( could be better for sure)
-‎shower has only one tap, and it's always hot water, sink has 2 different taps one ia extremely hot while the other is freezing cold
-‎one shower and one bathroom for each floor, which is definitely a nightmare specially when the hostel is fully booked, you could wait for at least one hour to do anything
-‎ The sound of the music from the bar is extremely high that the rooms in the 1st floor no one can sleep in it till 2 am ( daily) or you are forced to go down to the bar as long as you can't sleep ( utterly disgusting)

Pros :

Location
Basic breakfast
Bar

Room Tip: Good location Only
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2018

I stayed at this hostel for two days, with a friend of mine. Initially I didn’t really know what to expect because it was my first time in a hostel, I was kinda like “What if I wake up without a kidney?!”
We arrived there early in the morning and Csaba greeted us. We couldn’t get the room immediately because we arrived earlier than the check-in time but Csaba allowed us to use the luggage room and to fill in the forms and do all the administrative stuff immediately.
Csaba also invited us to have breakfast there, although we still weren’t supposed to be there.
We also got two adapters (after leaving a deposit) which were super handy.
The toilet in front of the reception was clean and tidy.
We were 10 people in the room but there was enough space for everyone.
The room and the common areas in general were clean and the atmosphere was very informal and friendly.
Toilets are cleaned several times per day and I liked the effort that Oana puts in keeping everything tidy. I talked to her more than once and I had the impression that she really cared about me and the other customers.
I met so many people in this hostel, we shared stories, anecdotes and even the vodka that I brought from The Netherlands. I felt so good with these people, age didn’t matter at all and I even went out with one girl that I met on the very same evening.
I also talked to another receptionist, Marcis, while I was drunk and it was very early in the morning. He was so friendly, I honestly felt loved in this place. I decided to write this review while I was drunk so I started asking and writing down everyone’s name because these people need to know how much I appreciated their work.

Anyhow, I definetely reccomend this hostel for the price, the location, the SERVICE and the PEOPLE.
There was a problem with the tap of the bathroom (you had to keep the cold water tap pressed to make water flow) but it wasn’t a big deal and I told Marcis about it while I was checking out so I guess they’ll fix it.
Thanks everyone for making my stay in London AMAZING and I’ll definitely choose the Dover Castle hostel next time.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Omar A
Reviewed 18 April 2018

Me and my boyfriend only stayed there for one night, but the hostel was very good. The dorms are clean and not too big, the service at the reception very friendly. Everything is reasonably clean and the breakfast is included in the price, which is already very low for the location in London.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple