“No air conditioning...staff rude”

Ibis London City-Shoreditch
Ranked #322 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 July 2017

I just returned from London 2 days ago...the hotel room was very clean and the restaurant average. The location was good as it was close to some attractions and a train station on the corner. For people who smoke however, you would think a small courtyard in the back of the hotel would be nicer than smoking out front being harassed by the bums and homeless every time you went out.

The biggest issue was the temperature (high 80s to 90 degrees) and when we walked into our room there was no airconditioning on. The thermostat on the wall appeared to be not working and I called the desk within 5 minutes of entering it. I was told maintenance would be up to look at it. 10 minutes went by and still no one. My wife went down to the lobby and retuned with one of the staff members with the name badge of Krill. The maintenance man had come in a minute before my wife came back up. He stated that it WAS NOT warm enough outside and other guests would complain it was cold! He offered us a fan. This was not acceptable to us in mid July and 90 degree heat! Krill stood there and said in a nasty manner..."open the window" I stated opening a window ( that opens 1 inch)is not going to help. I stated I was a chemotherapy patient and was wearing a wig because of it and I was very uncomfortable. Mr. Krill turned around and shouted at me.."you can leave and go somewhere else then".

I was flabbergasted at this point and called my booking agent to try and find another hotel in mid July! I spoke to a manager about Krill. They apologized but in the end I was stuck in that hotel with no air conditioning. The hotel has a 15 minute policy that states "if they cannot resolve your issue within 15 minutes, they will refund your hotel stay. They did not resolve my issue and I have filed a complaint and want my money refunded!!
Do not use this hotel if air conditioning and being treated with respect is important to you!!!

Room Tip: Read the fine print about centrally controlled vs room controlled air conditioning
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Giullaume D, - at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for writing us about your stay at Ibis London City hotel. I am sincerely sorry it did not meet your expectations. We would like to have a look at your reservation in order to investigate the issues. Please feel free to send us email with your reservation details to the email address of our reception manager Gennaro Minopoli: h5011-rd@accor.com

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

We've spent three nights in London, in ibis Shoreditch. The rooms are small but fully equipped. The breakfast is amazing, don't miss it!
The service was very helpful and kind. I would recommend it if you are new in the city, and looking for a place to stay

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Giullaume D, Andrea Garnes Front Office Team Member at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Mr. Gábor K,

We very much appreciate your positive feedback regarding your stay at ibis London City - Shoreditch.

I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast, we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Andrea Garnes

Reviewed 20 July 2017

This is another excellent Ibis hotel. I think the Ibis brand is really good and for short stays I would always book Ibis where available. This hotel is literally round the corner from Aldgate East tube station. Very clean, good price, friendly staff and great breakfast

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Giullaume D, Team Leader at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Dear Rob,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis London City - Shoreditch.

Elena Caraus

Reviewed 18 July 2017

We stayed here for the Para Athletics in London Stadium Stratford. This is a good solid hotel for a good price. The staff are friendly and the rooms are ideal. Lovely Air con too which is a bonus. Tea and coffee facilities in the room which was very clean. The restaurant downstairs was very good and not as expensive as I expected. It looks quite new inside, seems like it has been refurbed recently.
Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane are a short walk away, if its social history you are after Vallance Road and the Blind Beggar Pub are not too far away either.
There is a Tesco Express next door open till 11pm which was really handy ! The hotel is under a minute from Aldgate East tube but only if you leave at Exit 2, there are 4 options ! Leave at exit 2, walk straight round the corner and there it is !

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Giullaume D, - at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Dear Nigel,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience and for the excellent score you rewarded us with. It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback which serves as an encouragement to all of us as we are continuously trying to improve our services. We are glad you appreciated the newly refurbished areas of the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Straightforward bed but HAS AIRCON! In London this is essential. Also has BLACKOUT CURTAINS. The staff are very friendly though the check in is weird as there is no check in desk. A member of staff just wonders up to you.

Stayed: July 2017
Giullaume D, - at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear Alastair,

thank you for the excellent score you rewarded us with.
Several months ago we implemented a new project which includes working with mobile phones that allow us to be flexible and approach our guests anywhere in the lobby.
I understand our reception is not the traditional one and it might be a bit confusing, but our goal is to remove barriers between the staff and our guests and create more friendly atmosphere. We are those who are supposed to make an extra step to assist our guests.
We hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back again!