“levy's review”

Ranked #620 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“levy's review”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

typical large chain hotel, they try to squeeze as much money as they can from you at the same time as giving you as least possible value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main road............too noisy
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear Guest

I have noted your feedback and firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I do feel that our rates reprsent good value for a AA rated 4 star hotel, particularly at the weekend when our rates are only slightly higher than the budget brand properties closeby. Our property is a full service hotel with all the facilities that you would expect and we always aim for every guest to have an enjoyable stay whilst balancing this with providing good value for money particularly in today's economy.

I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

If there is any way we can be of further assistance to you please do not hesitate to let us know.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Warrington
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice and had problems both times.

On the first occasion, the shower wasn't working, The room hadn't been properly cleaned - there were bottle tops and food under the desk and my partner stood on a shard of glass and cut his foot. We complained and were moved to a different room.

On the second occasion we landed at Manchester airport then had a 3 hour drive to London, arriving at the hotel after midnight. The following happened;
1 - We had booked a 2 night stay (Friday & Saturday). The first night clashed with our skiing holiday so, several weeks prior to our stay, I telephoned and asked to change the booking to Saturday & Sunday instead. The hotel was adamant that this was not possible as I had an "advance deal". When I telephoned "central reservations" to let them know that we would be arriving late on the Saturday, I was told that the dates could have been amended after all.
2 - The room stank of stale cigarette smoke. We couldn't be moved as we were told that the hotel was full so they sprayed the room with air freshener instead.
3 - The thermostat control on the shower was faulty so it was impossible to get a decent shower. The toilet seat was broken.
4 - The room had not been properly cleaned and signs of previous occupants were evident, especially in the bathroom.

We finally got to bed at 2am and woke exhausted the following morning in poor shape to compete in a national badminton tournament.

On speaking to other residents, many had complaints about the hotel including stale cigarette smoke in the room. 2 men, who had booked a twin room, were given a double room instead. Finally one of them spent the night on an uncomfortable z bed meant for a child! Badminton England, who had hosted an event on the Saturday evening, had had so many complaints that they distributed a questionnaire the following day for feedback on the hotel.

We won't be staying here again!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear Guest

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay at this hotel. We aim to give every guest a relaxing and enjoyable experience whilst they are away from home and I sincerely apologise that we failed to acheive this during your time with us.

Please be assured that I have noted all the points listed in your review and will take the necessary steps to ensure that they are rectified. We would like further information regarding some of the issues you have identified, if you have the opportunity will you call our Operations Manager - Shae Walmsley at the hotel so he may communicate with you and discuss your feedback directly.

Also, the hotel has a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day, a big part of their role is to listen to feedback and attempt to find a resolution before it affects the enjoyment of a guest's stay. If you stay with us in the future this individual will be on hand to discuss and do everything in thier power to resolve any issues you identify with our product or service before you depart the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the trip advisor website. We do use this feedback as a way of improving the service we offer to all of our guests.

We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family and I booked at this Holiday Inn for two nights. We booked because they have interconnecting doors between rooms and we could therefore have the children in one room and me and my husband in the other. This was a massive bonus (other hotels PLEASE take note that families really need this facility).
The rooms were clean and comfortable.The hotel pillows featured a promise to change pilliows from standard foam (which I hate) to a choice of feather and down pillows - Great! What a shame then that when this was requested, the spare pillows were "all in use" Come on people, you're running a hotel! Pillows are part of the deal, and if you offer a facility you should plan to be able to honour it.
The bathrooms were clean and there were plenty of towels.
Room service was ruiniously expensive which I could have tolerated were it not for the fact that the Club sandwiches were dreadful. Bitter rocket instead of a crisp clean lettuce, hardboiled egg (?) - the comination of egg and rocket made the sandwich taste fishy - and dry - no mayonnaise or other ingrediant to make it palatable.
Breakfast on the first morning was freshly cooked for us as we were thre first in the restaurant and the poached egg was perfect. The staff were very friendly and helpful. However, the pastries were rather stale and the berries to put on top of cereal etc were obviously defrosted, were very cold and very tart indeed. A compote needs to be cooked down fruit with some sugar added.
The next morning the food was all out in a buffet - the bacon and sausage were good, but the black pudding inedible. The coffee / chocolate machine (Yes machine, NOT fresh) needed refilling and it was quite a wait before i got my hot drink. Staff toady were rather curt when asked several times for assistance. Pastries were stale again.
Advice: A filter coffe maker, with staff to go round tables replenishing drinks would be great.
Better provenance of food items.
Hotel has a great little swimming pool which the children enjoyed, and check out was very speedy and helpful. The staff on the desk were very polite.
SO - a pleasant stay but in no way outstanding.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for posting this comprehensive review of our hotel onto Trip Advisor following your recent stay.

I have noted your constructive comments, both the positive ones and the not so positive and will certainly communicate this to the relevant managers and add this to our usual practice of using such information to improve the service we offer to all of our guests.

I agree that breakfast is the one of the most important elements of your stay and will review the points you have raised regarding the food and the service with both the Head Chef and the F&B Manager. Our coffee machine grinds whole beans as it produces each serving with the aim of eliminating the filter coffee issue where a flask left for more than a few minutes can taste stale. However, there is no excuse for you having to wait longer than necessary for the machine to be topped up and I apologise for this.

Please also accept my apologies for the lack of your choice of feather pillows. Our Housekeeper will review our stocks and purchase more as required so we should not encounter this issue in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting the area. If there is anything else you would like to discuss please contact me directly or my Operations Manager at the hotel.

leeds
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Pros:
1. Free parking with plenty of spaces
2: bar staff were very friendly and outstanding service
3: quality of food very good
4: the hotel was very clean
5: sky sports in lobby
6: quick check in/out
7: comfy bed

Cons:
1. 1940 s furniture in rooms that is dark and looks like off the antique roadshow
2. Old style tv in room with a remote that old the numbers had rubbed off
3. Sky sports meant to be channel 7 but was not on the tv s
4. Poor toilet flush mechanism
5. Room was stuffy but the air con was very noisy so you could not sleep with it on
6 poor room service as the person could not speak very good English and I did not understand him
7: need more snacks on the 24 hour list as the only hot choices are curry/Thai or pizza.
8: very noisy maids banging all the
doors at 9am. No chance of a lie in
9: in 2012 surely all wifi should be free ??

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank rach_888
Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for posting your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on Trip Advisor following your recsnt stay.

I have noted your constructive feedback, both the pros and the cons and will certainly add this to our usual practice of using such information to improve the service we offer to all of our guests.

I will pass your notes reference the sevice element of your stay on to the relvant managers so they may review these points with their teams and put action plans in place for improvement or offer praise where it is due.

We do have a ongoing programme of maintenance in our guest rooms and I will take your comments regarding the product we offer on board.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,117 helpful votes
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Stayed here a couple of times now nice food, great little gym and pool. It's a real nice place to say !!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank RobsterWirral
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Dear Guest
I was delighted to read your positive review about this hotel on the Trip Advisor website. Thank you for taking the time and trouble post your comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of the hotel team who all work very hard to ensure that every guest experience is comfortable and enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn London Elstree in the furture, in the meantime Season's Greetings and my best wishes for a prosperous new year!