“Rude, unprofessional bouncers letting the place down”

Dirty Martini Bishopsgate
Ranked #12,688 of 24,807 Restaurants in London
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Escape the hustle of Bishopsgate and sneak underground into our distinctively dirty City bar! With beautiful bespoke cocktails, stylish interior & some of London's best DJs, it is the perfect place for a chic and indulgent night out! Located in the heart of the City, opposite Liverpool Street station.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

I've been to several Dirty Martinis in London in recent year. It's what you would expect really, overpriced, pretentious, slow service. However I feel compelled to register my utter disgust at the way I was treated by the doormen at the Bishopsgate branch last night, which was rude, unprofessional and actually very distressing. I had planned to meet some friends who were already in the bar, having left some work drinks. On arrival the arrogant doorman refused to let me in. Asked why, he accused me of being "on gear". I was flabbergasted, as I don't touch the stuff (don't judge those who do) and had simply come from having a couple of pints after work. Fair enough to refuse entry on the grounds that someone has had too much to drink, but to totally fabricate something like that was just bang out of order (he actually went to the effort of telling me I had "white stuff on my collar", which was just plainly and demonstrably untrue). The doorman's supervisor came over for a second opinion. I could tell he knew the first chap had made the wrong call, but had to back him up anyway to save face. Eventually he justified the decision on the grounds that I had too much to drink. I mean, what do they think people go to bars for...afternoon tea?! It's not exactly the Women's Institute in there is it?!

Not the end of the world - saved me a few quid and about an hour of my life which would inevitably have been spent waiting at the bar. However I really want the management to know how utterly unprofessional their door staff are. It reflects very badly on the whole organisation. It is really not on to falsely accuse and humiliate people, just because you don't like the way they look. Arrogant, disrespectful and just unnecessary.

CGMarketing, Marketing at Dirty Martini Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi there, we are concerned your feedback and would like to find out more. Please email marsha.coffer@cgrestaurants.com so we can get in touch.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We came as a couple to have a drink before our meal. When spoken to by the male bar staff with white hair and a foreign accent, who was telling us about the cocktails, we were rudely interrupted by a female with glasses and short hair for our IDs. Now I’m not bothered by being asked for ID and I completely understand it is their job t ask however her tone of voice and us being interrupted when being spoken to was incredibly rude. Then when after we picked our cocktails the male bar staff had his hands right down his trousers (supposedly tucking his shirt in) - not even just round the top of his jeans but his hands going right down his trousers. He then cleaned my glass using just his hand with cold water as a sponge and touched all the ice being put into the drink with the same hand that he used down his trousers. He was completely unprofessional, also rude and was easily distracted by other people coming into the bar. He barely focused on making the cocktails and giving us good service and took twice as long as he should have done. We are extremely disappointed with the service and I have never experienced someone be so openly unhygienic when serving customers. Would not recommend.

1  Thank James B
CGMarketing, Marketing at Dirty Martini Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Please could you email marsha.coffer@cgrestaurants.com so we can get in touch.
Thanks

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Usually come here once a month and always have a good night. Good drinks, friendly staff and great atmosphere.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

I would normally go to the Covent Garden one because they do amazing martinis and it’s such a nice place to go after a meal out, but after being told bishopsgate has a larger space I thought I’d give it a go and booked a table. It was a mistake. I’d rather be crammed in like a sardine then ever have to go back there. The floor was sticky like a cheap club, not the kind of place I expect to pay £10 for a drink. The toilets were rotten, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some fungi growing. The music was too loud for the place to be called a bar I might as well have been at an underground rave. All the bar staff were unfriendly, couldn’t smile once. The waitresses, bouncers and cleaners were so rude. They would barge past you on the floor without even an ‘excuse me’ and when you have paying customers this is not acceptable. The bouncers all rolled their eyes, didn’t answer questions and the French manager was extremely unresponsive to everything I said to him, he literally turned his back on me. And when I asked for his name to make a formal complaint to someone higher up he refused to give it to me. I’ve never experienced anything like it.

CGMarketing, Marketing at Dirty Martini Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

We are concerned to hear this. Please email marsha.coffer@cgrestaurants.com so we can get in touch.
Thanks

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Was here for happy hour onwards. The waitress failed to tell me that the cocktail I ordered wasn’t included in happy hour. She then also charged me for the premium gin which I hadn’t asked for. When I commented on this she went away and changed the receipt to the normal price. She then brought the drinks over and made a point of saying I had the premium gin ‘on the house’ when clearly they had already made the cocktails and didn’t want them to go to waste. Very unimpressed. Music was okay, toilets not maintained very well. Won’t be returning.

Hi there,
Thank you for your feedback. Please email marsha.coffer@cgrestaurants.com so we can get in touch.