“Museum not open when advertised”

Stephens House & Gardens
Ranked #844 of 1,839 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: A Grade ll listed house with extensive landscaped gardens, gifted to the people by Henry Charles 'Inky' Stephens of the Stephens' Ink Company. The House Avenue House is a Grade II listed building in the he The Gardens provide a mixed landscape and include a unique arboretum, a rockery, a bog garden, large park areas to play in and wooded areas to walk. They are a green oasis in suburban London.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I love small quirky museums and I love fountain pens, so I made a special trip to Finchley (about an hour away) to visit the Stephens Collection, after checking the opening hours before I left. When I got there, it wasn't clear where to go so I entered the main house, now used for events etc. A board by the door said the Stephens Collection was in the conservatory, but when I entered the house, it felt as if I wasn't supposed to be there and a man said the Stephens Collection was actually in the Visitors' Centre across the yard, but he wasn't sure whether it was open. Sure enough, when I found it, the Visitors' Centre was locked. Looking through the windows, I could see a couple of small glass cases and a few typewriters and some Stephens Ink signs on the walls. No obvious information about when it would be open. Complete waste of my time. Other reviews here are for the house as an events venue, so I can't comment on that. I also have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the gardens and beautiful grounds, but that's not why I visited!

1  Thank farwriter
"carvings"
"trees"
"memorial"

Reviewed 20 March 2018

Stephen's House management and staff have to be commended for their dedication to their tasks: it is an all-year-open venue for all sorts of events both for the local community such as weddings, and other users. In our case we have used SH for several years now, as have many professional organisations, (we are a university accredited training) and the place is greatly appreciated by faculty and students alike.
I am particularly impressed by the professionalism and generosity of the general manager who, during a particularly stressful period, has modelled a good working relationship for me. In return I highly recommend this place !

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Used this venue for funeral reception on two separate occasions. The building and grounds are stunning and it is lovely setting for any kind of reception or party. The buffet was excellent and the staff were just amazing. I would highly recommend this venue.

1  Thank Lolly S
Reviewed 19 February 2018

I hired the Salon event room for refreshments after a funeral. The staff were very attentive and the selection of buffet was outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble and it made a stressful morning a much welcomed relaxing afternoon. The grounds are breath taking and the house is stunning. I would recommend this venue to anyone for any event.

1  Thank loumcd
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 January 2018

We recently held our Golden Wedding celebration in the Grade II listed building at Stephens House and Gardens. This was an evening event for 60 people. A few months beforehand we went for a food tasting to ensure we selected the right menu choices for our relations and friends. We decided to have a three course meal served to each person rather than a buffet. The evening could not have been better, the atmosphere, the food, the organisation and the friendliness of the staff were all excellent. The room looked so pretty with fairy lights, and mirrored flowers on the tables.

All of the staff involved in helping us plan our evening were very professional and helpful, from management, to admin, to head of catering and event organisation.

We can thoroughly recommend Stephens House and Gardens to anyone planning a special celebration. We also chose the DJ that they recommended and were pleased with his input to the evening.

Pat and Peter