“Cheap Eats Part Deux”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Soho
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Decades later, WK doesn't disappoint - solid Cantonese roast meats/dai pai dong rice plates dished up with attitude at a reasonable (for London) price. Stick with these and one generally won't be disappointed - the roast meats are generally flavorful and have a balanced lean/fat ratio. Not gourmet standards but better than most around Chinatown. If one wants ambience, go elsewhere. If one wants decent, solid, value-for-money fare, go here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,629)

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

As a family, this is usually our ‘go to’ for a quick, quality meal when in London on business or pleasure. My daughter has recently moved to London and when I suggested Wong Kei for an after theatre supper she said ‘ mum it’s awful, the service is abysmal’ which I know to be true but always worth it for the quality of the food. No more, the service was worse than usual, we had tea thrown at us then I asked for some fried noodles, which I have always ordered, just a bowl of noodles fried with onions and bean sprouts. No way would she do this for me and insisted that I had it with meat or fish. I said I would be ordering a separate portion of a meat dish but I would prefer noodles to rice. She actually hit me with the menu and told me to pick something from that only! I do realise we ought to have left at this point but our train had been very delayed and we went straight to the theatre from the station, we had all our bags with us and we were starving so I said I would stay because the food is good.
Sadly, this is the end of a family tradition I won’t be back, the food was average at best and I have had better take away to be honest

3  Thank Dawn V
Reviewed 5 March 2018

The variety of reviews make me wonder if your experience depends very much on the time of day you are visiting and how crowded it is. My husband and I have been coming here for over thirty years and find it invariably reliable, quick and tasty. Our last visit was during the two hour interval between the two Harry Potter plays and it hit the spot once again. It was relatively quiet so we got our own table but do be prepared to share the big round tables during busy times. My daughter and I are vegetarian and the bean curd and vegetable dishes were lovely and really fresh. The vegetarian mixed starters were particularly good. I would call service abrupt rather than rude and generally pretty efficient. It is huge though so I can imagine some errors when it is buzzing. In our experience, they are always quickly rectified. The surroundings are pretty basic and down at heel but if you want a cheap and cheerful, well cooked meal then you can't go wrong. Remember to bring cash though.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

In china town, a classic. Basic furniture, plastic plates, excellent food and value for money. A busy operation but efficient service. Sometimes too efficient, when you get everything at the same time. Love it as it is. Please don’t change it.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The service was extremely poor, our order was incorrect & it was no better than what you would get at a Chinese takeaway but double the price! They didn't take food off our bill which we never received and overall was extremely disappointed. Would not go again.

4  Thank 279kylieg