“Rude staff”
Review of The Moon and Stars

The Moon and Stars
Ranked #917 of 1,857 Quick Bites in London
Price range: US$4 - US$17
Description: Opened in 1995 we are a member of the Wetherspoons chain providing a wide selection of food and drinks with a strong focus on efficient service and excellent quality. All at a competative price. Whilst we have a large range of international No1 products covering beers, wines and spirits we are also one of the largest real ale pubs in the area with a wide selection of ever changing beers (as many as 15 on at any time) featuring international and local real ale. With multiple real ale and cider festivals on throughout the year. We also have a lovely beer garden to enjoy it all in as well as large dining, drinking and family areas. We serve our main food menu from 08:00 to 22:30 every day of the week. With a multiple choices from healthy and light options to our full large breakfast, we serve breakfast from 08:00 to 12:00 every day of the week. Almost every day of the week you can come in a take advantage of our club meals which vary by day: Mexican Mondays, Steak and Grills Tuesdays, Wing-it Wednesdays, Curry Club Thursdays,Fish Fridays and a full sunday roast on a Sunday. Please drop us an email if you have any enquiries. Thanks for your time and we look forward to seeing you soon, The Moon and Stars.
Reviewed 22 September 2020

Been visiting this pub for the last 20yrs and never known such a rude manager, does not know how to deal with the public, will not be visiting until they change their staff.

Date of visit: September 2020
2  Thank terence_hawton
Write a reviewReviews (107)

Reviewed 12 August 2020 via mobile

I have been coming here for many years and it's has previously always been a great experience. However, my last two visits have been terrible. I submitted a feedback form regarding the issues I experienced last time and haven't had any form of reply. So after today's shocking experience I feel compelled to leave a review here.

I ordered breakfast, tea and an orange juice at 1039am. At 1101am there was no sign of it, not even my drinks. I asked at the bar and was told I'd given the wrong table number but it was coming now. Went back to my table and checked the number - it was correct. I went back the bar and told them it was the correct number and an apology for the delay would have been appreciated, rather than being told I'm wrong.

Food came a minute or two later. The lady serving told me again I'd got the table number wrong. I pointed it out and she just said "No" covered it up with a loose sticker and walked off! The table number on the gold badge had a Covid info sticker partially covering it. On that sticker was a hand written number. As a regular customer I'm used to looking for the gold badge number, not a hand written number on a very busy sticker placed upside down on the table (see photo - taken after it had been properly stuck back down over the gold badge number). Surely this is an easy mistake to make. Even if I was the dumbest person ever, it's not on to just tell a confused customer "No" abruptly and then storm off. I called after her as she walked away and said "Excuse me, can I speak to the manager?" and she said "I am" and walked away again. To that I said "No wonder the place has gone downhill recently and i'm shocked you'd speak to customers like that" (I've never seen this manager before). She then came to clear nearby tables and I pointed out my orange juice had ice in it when the receipt clearly said 'no ice'. She ignored me again and walked off once more. This was all in front of other customers.

There's a way of doing things. If I made a mistake, politely point it out and explain where I went wrong. The gold badge table number is what most customers will expect to see and use. So don't bite the customers head off, be rude and ignore them when they use them - in fact, why change them? Honestly can't believe someone has appointed this person as a manager. I won't be coming back until there's a change of management and until that happens I think lots of others will be doing the same. Recent reviews speak for themselves!

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 12 August 2020 via mobile

Our visit today was to meet up with friends. We used the app to order drinks several times when the drinks were brought to the table we expected staff to take away dirty glasses but these were just left on the table. When we were told that the garden was about to close we all came inside the tables were very dirty when we did get a table I had to ask for it to be cleaned. Most of the staff are very lazy. With the exception of the young blond girl with tattoos she seemed to be the only one doing her job. I would not recommend moon & stars Penge to anyone.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 21 February 2020

The staff in the pub when I visited on Thursday 20/2/20 were so miserable , one of them served me 3 times and he did not utter a single word or crack a smile absolutely miserable also the table was filthy as were the wine glasses . The actual pub itself is quite nice and toilets were extremely clean.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 4 February 2020 via mobile

Visit occasionally and it’s a standard Wetherspoons, but the service is nearly always slow. Today however I waited over 10 minutes at the bar to be served and even then I had to interrupt a barman serving someone else. There is no acknowledgement that you are even there. Let alone a ‘who’s next’ or ‘“I’ll be with you in a minute. There are always more staff washing glasses or clearing tables than actually serving!! Very poor indeed!

Date of visit: February 2020