“excellent food! try the dulce de leche pancake!”
Review of El Gaucho

El Gaucho
Ranked #60 of 916 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Argentinian, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 13 October 2014

a really excellent restaurant with very friendly service. the meat was extremely tasty, you could tell it was imported. my wife had ternera and i had a milanesa, the best i've tasted outside of argentina!

the pancake was lovely too, very rich and just perfect to finish off.

the background music was nice too. a nice mix, nothing too intrusive and absolutely authentic.

reasonably priced, not the cheapest but competitive with similar restaurants and probably with better meat!

3  Thank Mark B

Reviewed 12 October 2014

I've been to this restaurant twice now and both times have been fantastic. This last visit was faultless. I recommend the 11oz rump steak. I had it rare and it was cooked to perfection. The house red Is also superb. I'd always recommend booking as it's much loved by alot of folk.

2  Thank Sean P
Reviewed 28 September 2014

We didn't get to try all the restaurants in York so our title is a little far fetched but we enjoyed eating here far more than anywhere else. The food was superb and the staff friendly. Reasonably priced and great quality, would definitely recommend it.

2  Thank bazzer01
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I ordered a rib eye medium rare - it was served well done and dried out. On pointing this out to the waitress, her attitude was really poor. She did not apologise, and said they could cook me something else but did not have any more rib eyes. I was amazed and shocked by this answer, and told her it was 7:45om on a busy Saturday night and we were one of the first tables in the restaurant, so how could they have already run out of rib-eyes.
Her reply was even worse than her original response " I don't order the steaks"
Eventually the manager appeared and offered to cook another rib eye (which they had miraculously found)
The waitress then took my food away and did not bring back my salad, until I asked for it back.
She needs to learn how to treat customers with respect.
This restaurant is obviously very popular, but they need to learn that poor food can be rescued by good service but not vice versa.
The manager did not even offer his apologies when presenting me the bill.
I will not be back.

5  Thank alamo650_0
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Good quality steaks and good sizes however they were quite thick for sirloin, this resulted in a med/rare steak coming blue, sent back and came back still very rare, shame because it was tasty meat. Chefs just need to take a little more care in the food they are sending making sure its right the first time if not, defiantly the second!

1  Thank albt10