“Fawlty Towers- Terrible Service, Terrible Food”
Review of Valentino's

Valentino's
Ranked #120 of 940 Restaurants in York
Description: At Valentino's we believe in "CIBO PER L'ANIMA" ("FOOD FOR THE SOUL"). The journey begins with an array of delectable starters (antipasti), followed by desirable and sumptous chicken, fish and meat dishes. And of course not forgetting to capture the true essence of Italy with our selection of vibrant pastas and divine pizzas. Our desserts are also made with the same passion thus ensuring you finish off your meal in true STILE ITALIANO (ITALIAN STYLE).
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Don’t even know where to start with this one.
Booked this as our last evening in York based on the rating this got on Trip Advisor.
Had a reservation, still got kept standing at the door for 10 minutes till we eventually got literally squashed into a table between two other tables which wasn’t ideal.
Eventually got asked if we wanted drinks and ordered a bottle of red wine which took a while to arrive and after the waitress asking 3 other tables if it was for them, I signalled it was for us to which it literally got plonked down in front of me, no getting a glass poured for you or a would you like to try it! We were so close to the next table, the waiter shoved the chair at our table out the way which my partner had his arm resting on, again, no apologies or acknowledgment.
Food arrived, I ordered risotto and my partner ordered tagliatelle. The tagliatelle was a bit too al dente to the point my partner left most of it and the risotto tasted like the sauce had been made from condensed cream of chicken soup, couldn’t get hold of anyone to complain and to be honest, just wanted to get out of the place.
Waiter would ask a question and then walk away without awaiting a reply eg how is everything?
We ordered a bottle of water for the table which never arrived but we still got charged for it. When we said we didn’t want desserts or coffee the waiter wasn’t happy and didn’t hide the fact….we did want a dessert but refused to give this joke of a restaurant any more money.
It’s small without character, very loud and sorry but can only describe this place as a shambles. I’m shocked it got so many positive ratings.
If you like fast food then this is the place for you. Someone in a previous comment stated the waiter should stop singing and concentrate more on his work to which I couldn’t agree more, he certainly did think he was something special, same they didn’t think the same of customers.

2  Thank Gillian R
Write a reviewReviews (460)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A first time visit, which we really enjoyed. We felt welcomed from the start, the service was friendly, the food was of a high standard and the atmosphere was really nice. We would certainly recommend.

1  Thank Doug-Nicki
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband & I are on a weekend break and came by this restaurant by chance. We had a superb meal. The service was excellent, in fact everything was perfect we couldn’t have asked for more. I would recommend that you book.

1  Thank Melly270862
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went for meal on 16th September in the evening. Had not booked and although the restaurant was really busy the staff could not have been more helpful and quickly found us a table. The 2 people working front of house were amazing and really efficient and attentive. Food was amazing, both well presented and really good to eat. Whole experience was first class. A restaurant well worth a visit if you are in York

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 15 September 2021

Sunday night! Couldn’t hear yourself speak as it was soooo noisy. Too many diners for covid safety. Service was slow because too busy. Waitress brought food which was unrecognisable due to sauce covering - she didn’t appear to speak English. My friend got something she didn’t order but was too much hassle to ask why????
The staff were great, friendly, singing etc. However, if I lived in York, which I don’t, I would hesitate about going again, unless it was a quiet night. IT WAS BEDLAM. The food was ok!