The Cavalier
  • Pool
US$171
US$136
  • Restaurant
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$84
US$116
US$97
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn York City Centre(York)(Great Value!)
US$80
HolidayInn.com
Hilton York(York)
US$127
US$98
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$74
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$100
US$97
Hotels.com
US$122
US$110
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfamily roomtop floorshared bathroomgreat teatwo double bedscity centrecreaky floorboardslovely little guest housefew minutes walknot hesitate to stay here againfree parkingplenty of storage spacestreet noisefull englishfantastic locationvisited yorklight sleeper
Reviewed 25 January 2017

Ideally situated with easy access into town. Caretaker couple were very nice and easygoing. Room Decor needs a bit of updating but very clean. Lovely smell of breakfast cooking as you come downstairs in the morning.

Room Tip: Creaky floorboards as very old building so maybe take earplugs if light sleeper.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann G
Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times when I have early trains and now that Julia, the owner, has switched to room only I am really happy.
I think room only is a great move as you can then choose where when and what to eat for breakfast.
If you are wanting breakfast there are lots of lovely places within 5 minutes walk, but there is a great tea/coffee tray in the room, so at least you can have a drink before you go. The lovely biscuits are usually scoffed within 5 minutes of me arriving.
The place is spotless as usual, and has all the usual amenities you would expect.
Great stay and excellent value as it includes vat and parking.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank 5startraveller-Iwish
Reviewed 21 December 2016

Spent two nights here recently for an annual jolly-boys-and-girls-outing. There were three of us and we were given the family room on the top floor - two double beds, one single, and en-suite facilities. The place is comfortable and clean and the proprietors friendly (in that unique, dry Yorkshire way) and the breakfast was excellent. It's also perfectly located a few minutes walk from Monkgate and the city's historic centre. One nice touch was that there are proper mugs for the tea/coffee facility in the room rather than the twee and inadequate cups & saucers usually provided in hotels.

It's not perfect (hence four stars) since it's a little "frayed round the edges" shall we say and could do with a bit of a spruce-up, but the owners are aware of this. Having said that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay (it was the second for one of us) and I for one will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are not en-suite.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank JimTheJim
Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

We booked the Cavalier back in October for a pre Christmas weekend break. It's in a great location and the caretaker staff who are running it up to Christmas were very friendly, helpful and so nice. The breakfast is very plentiful with a limited choice. However they do try to accommodate all your requirements. We had a family room with a double (very comfortable) and a single bed. It was very spacious and super clean. The bathroom was small but adequate and again super clean and the free toiletries were a nice touch. The only gripe I have and it's one I have about many many hotels is that I'd like a bath sheet rather than a small bath towel but they were clean and thick, not bad quality. The Cavalier is in an old historic building with the usual creaky floorboards and original windows which have a great draught excluding and street noise reducing extra glazing unit. One small niggle is the thin walls unfortunately don't keep down the noise of the TV from the room next door. We had a thoroughly good stay here and the only perhaps slightly negative thing I can say is that the decor could do with a little updating.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank AllyBickers
Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. My friend and I shared a triple room with a single and a double bed.
The room was clean and very spacious. Bathroom was clean and modern, and the shower cubicle was a good size.
Breakfast is the usual full English, although they do offer variations of this, the second morning I had scrambled egg, sausage and mushrooms which they were more than happy to accommodate.
Parking could be a little tricky but as we arrived on a Sunday we were lucky to find a spot straight outside. I also really appreciated that they gave us a parking permit on arrival (12.00), and allowed us to leave our luggage until the room was ready, so we were able to start our shopping/sight seeing straight away.
The centre of York is about 5-10 mins walk, and there were lots of shops, and restaurants along the way.
We have stayed in many B&Bs in York but I think that this was the nicest so far, most reasonable priced, AND fantastic location to top it off. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends