“True assessment”
Review of Jimmy's York

Jimmy's York
Ranked #150 of 939 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$4 - US$25
Description: In the shadow of the world-famous Minster, Jimmy’s is blessed to have a home in one of the most striking listed buildings in York, situated in Low Petergate. With two bars and dining rooms over two floors, Jimmy’s hosts customers and fans from all over the world inside and outside in our covered and heated courtyard. Open 7 days a week for breakfast & brunch from 10, through to 11 weekdays and midnight at weekends for our BBQ Evening Menu & drinks.
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

Service good waitress with black and white hair very good.
Food tasty BUT Cost for what was served was at least £3 a meal too much.
Sides very expensive.
Incidental chillies were charged at £4 basically for at most 2 chillies. (On request this was removed)

Mark from North Wales

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (151)

Reviewed 13 August 2021

I simply cannot comprehend the reviews about bad service. Although they were extremely busy, the staff are so lovely and cannot do enough for you. They have great chat and are all so cool to look at.
Food may be a tad overpriced but it was delicious nevertheless.
Wasn't our first visit and won't be our last, we love it!! Thank you Jimmy's.

1  Thank sarahkenn97
Jimmy's York Team, Other at Jimmy's York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

We are so thrilled to hear our amazing staff wowed you and you found all our food delicious.

We believe for the overall experience here at Jimmy's it's well worth the price ;)

Loadsa love,
Elle

Host @ Jimmy's York

Reviewed 13 August 2021

We booked Jimmy’s on 10/07/21 for food and drink on the evening. I suggested it as I used to love Jimmy’s Manchester when I was a student. After being showed to our table it took over 40 minutes to receive our drinks order. The restaurant was fairly empty apart from a couple who arrived the same time as us had already eaten their food before we got our drinks. When we finally got to order food we were told pretty much everything on the menu including sides was gone. After 20 minutes we were told that the Brisket had also gone so changed the order again. Food arrived fairly quickly however it became obvious they had forgotten to add an extra cheeseburger after the order change. It took staff another 30 minutes to tell us that they missed the burger and were cooking it now. Meanwhile everyone else was finishing their food and the fire alarm set off (assuming this was cooking the missing burger). When the burger came it was chewy and underdone from being cooked too quickly. We then wanted to order deserts but none were available. After all this we were not offered any discount or compensation from the terrible experience and overall shocking service. We will not be visiting again and I’ve heard most people have had a similar experience.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 10 August 2021

Following charges for tap water and general lack of customer service (see review below) we were promised a "proper"Jimmy's experience second time round.
I don't think I like the Jimmy's experience.
I think it was noted on our booking but:
Waited 20 minutes to order drinks
Kitchen shut without warning before 9 (and before we had finished our mains) so no desserts or customer service to mitigate this
Coffee machine turned off before 9
Really would have rather just had my money back for the tap water and call it a day than the over promise and under delivery of a second experience.
There's 4 locals who won't be giving it another chance. We may have been very unlucky, but i don't believe in coincidences...

Date of visit: August 2021
The Good Times Guru, Head of Customer Engagement at Jimmy's York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Carmel,

Easing out of the restrictions and operating at full capacity in a post-covid Britain over the last few months has been a challenge for us a business, I won't deny that. From ad-hoc unavailability of personnel to supply issues, the impact has been felt throughout every level of the company.

I imagine that conglomerates and chains are marginally better equipped in terms of finances and resources to deal with such sporadic problems, but as an independent and family owned business we have done our very best to weather the circumstances and dispense the good times as best we know how.

As things are starting to settle ever so slightly and the industry as a whole starts to adjust to the changes, we feel we are getting a good handle of the necessary alterations to our general modes of operation which allow us to provide the level of service that we not only
From the general tone of this review I can't imagine it's an offer you'll take me up on - but, as was initially offered and subsequently declined, should you have the proclivity to want to try us again, I would love for you to join us for an evening and for me to be personally on hand to look after you.

We're not infallible, we make mistakes, but we're not too big to own up to them. We plan on being around for a good while yet and are committed to never finishing our journey of betterment.

Once more, I apologise unreservedly; please do be in touch if the offer appeals and I do hope to see you once again under the glow of the Jimmy's neons.

Best,

Alex Slater
Head of Customer Engagement
The Good Times Guru

Reviewed 9 August 2021

I don’t like to be a nuisance, so I don’t ask for no lime when I order a rum and coke. I just fish it out myself. The Jimmy’s team actually noticed and didn’t send more lime. FYI if you are a citrus enthusiast, they do an impressively thick cut wedge.
It was fairly busy, but every single time I got down to my last sip, the team were there asking if I’d like another. Lauren and the person with the amazing hair were excellent. The food was crazy good. So good I was still thinking about it when I woke up this morning and decided to write a review.

Date of visit: August 2021
Jimmy's York Team, Other at Jimmy's York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2021

Hi Sam,

Thank you for this lovely review! Our staff are very attentive and little gestures like remembering you don't want lime make you feel special for sure.

Lauren is just fabulous, and as for the amazing hair person- it could be a few! We have some groovy haircuts and styles going here at Jimmy's.

Love to hear you woke up still dreaming about our food, I do the same on the reg!

Peace and love,

Elle

P.S. never feel like you're being a nuisance for asking for no lime!! Go for it girl!

Host @ Jimmy's York