“Family friendly Weatherspoons pub with good food”

The Punch Bowl JDWetherspoon
Ranked #119 of 916 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$3 - US$16
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Just outside the city walls you’ll find The Punch Bowl which for excellent value brunch, dinner and drinks is a great venue.

Massive English Breakfast for around £5 great value and good quality. We also had pancakes with maple syrup, porridge with blueberries, a pint of cask ale (well I was on holiday!), cappuccino coffee and a medium orange juice all for £15.84!!!!!

It’s a typical Weatherspoons pub with all you’d expect. It’s far from pretentious, but good at what it does. So if you like that sort of thing then I am sure it will deliver.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

I came into the Punch Bowl for a couple drinks and food with some long lost friends. I had a great night with great drinks and when my food came.. I was amazed!.... no it wasn’t because my amazing , high quality food.. but my server, Cal. No query too big or wee for this guy, he truly made our Punch Bowl experience magical! I hope Cal and the rest of the team are rewarded for this great service!

1  Thank beth00013
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Visited your establishment tonight around 6.30pm for a catch up with friends. Much to my surprise the bar staff and waiting staff were beyond helpful however...
The management was beyond rude and disrespectful to our party. To start with her attitude was appalling making sly comment under her breath about members of my party. Also overhearing and seeing her rolling eyes about other customers because their food was incorrect, due to the staffs fault. I'd like to say that the gentleman who cleared our table was extremely polite and is a credit to the place. However the 'Manager' needs to seriously have a reality check about her job role as it isn't pleasant for us paying customers to see.

3  Thank Cam F
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Well situated and easy to get to. As one would expect of Weather spoons, they serve good food with a friendly service at a fair price. Well worth going to.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

A week after our trip to Berwick we ventured South to York and took a stroll around the Walls, stopping of at the various attractions as we got to them. the Punch Bowl is situated next to Micklegate which is just over 3/4's of the way round the wall (going clockwise). We arrived here at 3.00pm again thinking we'd miss the lunchtime rush, again only to find the place full (largely with Stack and Hen Party Groups). We managed to find a table tucked away in what we thought was a quiet corner (We had legislated for the table closest to us). We order our meals and waited around 30 minutes for them to arrive, which didn't surprise me as it appeared there was only one waiter covering the lunchtime / afternoon shift. We'd ordered Chicken Tikka Mossalla for the other half and the large mixed grill for me. Both meals were hot which isn't always the case and very enjoyable. The waiter was full of apologies for the delay but as said he appeared to be the only one.