“Cake heaven”
Review of Wheldrakes

Wheldrakes
Ranked #1 of 33 Dessert in York
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Description: A small homely licensed independent coffee shop/cafe, available as eat in or take out. We are proud to do our share of using eco friendly products & waste management. Our house coffee blend is served here, Teapig teas & real hot chocolate or even a tipple of something stronger. We pride ourselves in homemade produce sourced locally fresh to order. From Homemade soup, scones baked daily by hand, homemade cakes, brownies, freshly made sandwiches & paninis, jacket potato, weekly specials, & much more. Catering for your dietary requirement. A little gem in the heart of the walls of York, we are situated near the monkbar. We do not take reservations & hold tables as we are a very small coffee shop.
Reviewed 12 September 2021

Our much anticipated return visit to York had to include a visit to Wheldrakes, we were disappointed to find it closed, but thankfully was due to open whilst we were there. I am Coeliac and know they serve a lovely selection of GF cakes, I was not disappointed, a lovely coffee and cake in a nice setting, lovely friendly service. Had a lovely chat with the owner who remembered us from previous visits. Highly recommended, we will be back next time we visit York, wish we could more often.

3  Thank blondie051
Write a reviewReviews (703)

Reviewed 11 September 2021 via mobile

Incredibly friendly staff here, and the food was very tasty. We went as it was the only independent breakfast spot near our hotel, The Double Tree, that was open at 9am on Saturday and suited our vibe.
They had every alternative milk under the sun, which was great. They do a fab vegetarian breakfast (not many vegan options though) and the mozzarella sourdough was delish when we went back at lunch.
Topped it off with tea and a fresh cake from the window, very happy indeed

3  Thank 835sarahp
Reviewed 11 September 2021

If you are looking for a lovely little cafe in York, go here! I have coeliacs and I had possibly the best brownie I’ve ever eaten. Not only was it rich and chocolatey with bits of wispa on top, it was a very big slice at that. I also enjoyed pear juice (which I love but can rarely find) and my husband had a really lovely flat white.

The windows are filled with gorgeous home made cakes and the staff are lovely and attentive. My only complaint is that it’s a bit far to come on a regular basis because I live in Norwich! Nevertheless, I will continue to dream of the brownie I had here and attempt to recreate it!

4  Thank 798jenniner
Reviewed 6 September 2021

First time sitting in for some food. I had the eggs benedict and my partner had the mozzarella wrap, both were very good and we really enjoyed our meals. excellent service and really accommodating. felt safe, in a post covid way! thanks again

3  Thank heather r
Reviewed 5 September 2021 via mobile

We got in just after 9am, which proved to be a good idea, as this place is rightly very popular - the queue outside quickly built up… Friendly and attentive staff, delicious food and great prices - perfect! I had scrambled eggs on granary and loved it!!

Date of visit: August 2021