“Excellent steaks”

The Cock at Roade
Ranked #123 of 536 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$11 - US$24
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Cock at Roade is in a small country village, but close enough to junction 15 of the M1, for it to be a great place to stop off.This stone public house was built as a farmer in 1720, and was converted into a drinking hole in 1849, today it is a village country pub with Beer garden, outdoor childrens play area, Great food, Good beer, and lots of Cheer.
Reviewed 11 May 2016

We visited this pub for my sister's 50th birthday, as some of her friends local to the pub proposed it would be a nice place for a group meal and then to join one of their monthly karaoke nights. Our table for 13 took up most of the restaurant side of the pub and the pub allowed us to decorate it for the birthday. The staff were very helpful.
We also really enjoyed the food. The menu was a bit 1980s fare, but the highlight was the various types of steak served and cooked on a sizzling stone platter. You could therefore finish your steak off to your own taste at your table.
The karaoke later on was lively and obviously a popular event with the locals. This is a busy local pub and a part of the local community. We had an enjoyable evening and the landlady was kind enough to drop some of the party back home in the early hours.

Reviewed 10 May 2016

The food was incredibly bad. Limp lettuce one slice of tomato and onion has not been classed as a salad since the 1970's. The portions were small and prices high and I left the table hungry.
The sun umbrellas were flying around the garden whilst children were playing as they had no bases. The staff were not concerned about this.
When I telephoned the landlady to complain she was aggressive in manner and very disinterested.
This is one place to avoid at all cost's.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

Great Sunday lunch, friendly atmosphere in a homely pub. Traditional british food - great roast with yorkshires, lovely puss. Staff very helpful.

Reviewed 14 April 2016 via mobile

We visited this pub as we were considering moving to the area. Initially the pub looked great with a nice children's play area outside. However, my son hurt himself on the equipment as some steps were not secured and they fell whilst he was on them. It was obvious this had been like it a while but the landlady seemed surprised when I pointed it out. I then had to return my bottle of Coke Zero as it was about 6 months out of date, the alternative was an out of date bottle of Diet Coke. The landlady said it was new stock. To top it all off I saw at least two piles of dog poo on the floor near the children's play area.

It's a shame we had a bad experience as I really wanted to like it. Overall the land lady was pleasant enough. I would visit again but not in any hurry.

Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

Came in on sunday for lunch. Been a few times before. Had a lovly roast lamb. Husband had the Poussin and said it was lovly also. Very well looked after by staff during the visit and still great food. And Probaly the best yorkshire pudding i have eaten.