“Lunch with a friend on Good Friday”
Review of The Griffin Inn

The Griffin Inn
Ranked #85 of 570 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Local pub restaurant offering a wide selection of wines, ales and local drinks to both our formal a la carte restaurant and informal lighter bite bar menu. Privately owned free house pushing to exceed expectation in both cuisine and delivery
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Service was great, staff very welcoming and friendly. Had a main course and dessert and it was all very tasty and plenty of it too - not a lot left on our plates! Prices were ok too. It was very quiet, didn't want a noisy bar, although it wasn't a pub known for serving food for many years until the past year or so.

2  Thank SuzyRMK

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely lunch here after the staff kindly gave us a table even though we hadn’t booked ahead and it was quite late. The staff were lovely, friendly and attentive. The chef, being vegan himself, went out of his way to cook a vegan dish for my partner that wasn’t on the menu. The vegan risotto he cooked was lovely and light and went down a treat. We also tried the vegetarian tart which came with seasonal vegetables and a chicken dish with a side of yummy chips. The food and service were both great and left us feeling really glad that we’d stopped in at The Griffin Inn.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Thought we would try here for a change, met by some young but very friendly staff and shown to our table in a pleasant room which had a nice feel to it. After several minutes our drinks order was taken then after we bit of a wait they arrived, then after several more minutes our food was taken from fixed price menu. After a fair wait the food arrived, presented nicely and looked good. However the Chicken was tough as was the Beef the veg was aldenti but some of carrots were hard, so it could be wonderful with a little more care to the detail. Desserts excellent though, we all had a good time and we would give it another go, just needs a few tweaks here and there.

2  Thank mickcritic
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

We arrived on a Tuesday evening expecting it to be quiet but not completely empty... We were the only occupied table in the entire restaurant area so at some stages, the waitress was just staring at us because she had no other tables to wait on.
I ordered the risotto off their specials menu and my friend had a steak, chips, salad and peppercorn sauce. All of his items added up to a lesser cost than my teeny tiny bowl of vegetarian risotto. How on earth did that happen?
The risotto was the size of a starter and I half expected the waitress to bring something out to go with it.. but no...
I think you need to look at your pricing or portion sizes to justify charging more for a poxy bit of rice. Won't be coming back.

3  Thank Bexxcx
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Very disappointed with our meal tonight. Service wasn't great being asked 4 times within 4 minutes of sitting down if we are ready to order plus asked about drinks when already ordered those! The ale offered then turned out to not actually be on plus being told meals missing off the menu before and after ordering so having to change what we wanted. Nearly leaving at one point as told the childrens menu will be same price as adults but then eventually another waitress told us they do actually offer childrens fish and chips etc. Children's pizza was microwaved so soft and chewy. My partners salmon on skewers and mediterranean vegtables was embarrassing with only 3 chunks of salmon and a few veg served on a massive pile of plain white rice not the flavoured rice advertised! Veg under cooked and very hard. The only nice thing about the whole meal was the pint of doombar and the children's chips. Even the garlic bread was cheap little slices that weren't cooked overally well, really not what you would expect when the meals were £14.95 each. When I questioned my partners meal with them they knocked 4 pound off and said they gave us garlic bread free too but when I noticed the garlic bread wasn't even on the original receipt anyway I felt the waitresses embarrassment and just wanted to leave gutted we had spent £50 on what should of been a treat but turned out to be rubbish, we left feeling pretty upset we had stopped there. There didn't seem to be anyone in charge of confident enough that I could approach to discuss this further at the time

3  Thank Jennah S