“Afternoon Tea - If You're Lucky!”
Review of Thea Caffea

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Thea Caffea
Ranked #1,092 of 1,284 Restaurants in Nottingham
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Dreadful place. Arrived on Saturday 22 May for a pre-booked afternoon tea. I am disabled and have to use a walking aid (rollator). The ramp to get into the cafe was full of building materials and was totally inaccessible. I therefore had to get down two quite steep steps to which there was no handrail. My son had to hold my arm on one side while I walked around the side of the steps to support myself against the wall. Once inside, one of the staff had to move a large, heavy box that was blocking the inside ramp so that I could get to the lower part of the building.

We then waited ... and waited ... and waited ... for around 25 minutes for a waitress to attempt to take an order. We asked for three afternoon teas, which she wrote down on her pad. Still we waited, seeing other customers who had arrived long after us being served. Called another waitress over who spoke to the original waitress and it seemed she had not even put our order through, nor asked us what tea or coffee we wanted. We eventually got our pots of tea - a pot of hot water and the loose tea in a dish served separately - now we all know in the UK that the tea goes in the pot first! Needless to say, the tea was too weak to fall out of the cup.

But still we waited, and after 1hour and 5 minutes we gave in. My son again assisted me out of the cafe, coupled with the aid of the wall, and sat my sister and me outside whilst he went back in to complain and to try and get the money refunded from my Groupon voucher.

Twenty minutes later and my son eventually came out of the cafe, having been told that they were in chaos because a waitress had gone home sick that morning (this was by now after 4.00 pm, we having arrived at 2.15 pm), was told that they didn't know how to redeem the Groupon voucher, blamed the waiting staff ... and then someone shouted out that they had run out of cafetiers!

The whole experience was a total shambles, in total breach of Health and Safety Regulations, and totally unprofessional. The tables were jammed together, no attempt at social distancing or to control the numbers coming into the cafe. I also noted whilst waiting outside that the oudoor tables were jammed together with no space whatsoever between them, and the tables and chairs were sitting on small, loose garden slates.

If I could give minus 10 stars it would be too many - stay away, don't waste your time and money on this business that is coasting on the reputation of the former owners. Such a sad loss to what was once a really lovely place to spend a few hours.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (3)